It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason I stopped posting on ATS

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
a reply to: anxietydisorder

31 million stars! whats your secret? to be honest im scared of starting a thread too with all the rules and guidelines.

I don't find that excessive, it's just 5,000 or 6,000 per post.

Really though, there's a glitch in the machine that happened some time back that gave most of the longer term members an oddly high score on a few things. I do have a lot of legitimate points, stars, flags, and other stuff like applause from staff, but I don't even know what the numbers mean anymore.

I suggest you pay more attention to the content of an individual member's post, vote accordingly, and just ignore the scores that some people have. The newest member with no stars and flags at all could have something very profound to add to the ATS boards, and I'd hate to see them judged by some silly score in their profile.

It's not like you can cash stars in for a bottle of Scotch when you collect a certain amount.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No, but you can buy a bottle of scotch and celebrate your YUGE number of stars and what it means to all the little people that helped you get there along the way.

Harte

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hi everybody. I’m a new member. I know, I probably shouldn’t stick my nose in this but I think is important. ATS is a great place. People come here in their spare time. They go home and they start arguing about things they saw or hear or read. People have a lot of theories here, interesting theories, hypothesis and solutions. Where else? Sometimes somebody says stuff like “I can’t quite believe that”. Well, it’s not important anyway. It’s part of the game, right? You guys are more experienced than me, and I’m grateful for all that you guys do, but this community can still do great things. Don’t be overly discouraged!

About new categories and threads like “political news” and similar. Politic is important, I presume. I mean, paranormal, UFO phenomenon, secret societies and “other stuff” are related to politic, aren’t they? About “cooking”… ok, I'll just keep my mouth shut.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well it is clear that many other long term contributors agree with you, it is a shame so many fantastic members have left but as the site changes to allow for growth things change.....

I too would like to see the site move away from breaking news and politics ......

In saying that the site is still enjoyable, there is just less new interesting information, and i most certainly agree it would be sad to see it go as there is a wealth of information on these boards

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxietydisorder
Throw out some ideas people, because I would hate to see this site disappear, it's a warehouse full of information I'd hate to lose.

If a product is bad, the only way to get it improved is to have a better product that gives more value. But you have to advertise that other product to the current buyers of the bad product. After market share drops, the creators of the bad product will fix the issues.

At the risk of getting near the line (I'm banned on most sites besides ats), this site prohibits any advertising or mention of alternatives, so this process is intentionally difficult. However, if people read this post, and google user names, it is possible to essentially obtain the same outcome. Unfortunately, anxietydisorder, you do not have a unique username. When I googled it for the above reasons, the hits came up for "anxiety disorder," and although I was able to find you on page 2 for ats, I wasn't able to find your name on any other site. This means that for your wishes to become true, all users on all conspiracy sites should have their same odd and unique user name. Otherwise, we are hostage to the mods.
edit on 28-2-2016 by confusedbutnotidiot because: improved wording

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: confusedbutnotidiot
Makes sense to me. I just gave you your first star.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: confusedbutnotidiot

If a product is bad, the only way to get it improved is to have a better product that gives more value. But you have to advertise that other product to the current buyers of the bad product. After market share drops, the creators of the bad product will fix the issues.

Unfortunately, anxietydisorder, you do not have a unique username. When I googled it for the above reasons, the hits came up for "anxiety disorder," and although I was able to find you on page 2 for ats, I wasn't able to find your name on any other site. This means that for your wishes to become true, all users on all conspiracy sites should have their same odd and unique user name. Otherwise, we are hostage to the mods.

I'm not a hostage to anyone, and neither are you. This sort of thread would have been shut down very quickly not that long ago, and it has been closed twice, but re-opened to allow a freedom of opinion that I hope will be of value to all of ATS. The product has changed, but I wouldn't call it bad. SkepticOverlord made a good point many pages back about how we develop what he referred to as "Forum Fatigue", and you can read his post at this link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I may not agree with everything he has to say, but he makes some very valid points. Some people do get tired of the same old chatter, some have read it all, but some also get fed up with the direction things are going on a board and just walk away. Perhaps this thread will be a catalyst for change, but with the Americans going into an election cycle again, don't expect a lot for the next year. They seem to get quite excited about their politics.

As far as you stalking my user name, you're wasting your time. I only use "anxietydisorder" on ATS, and have a dedicated email just for this forum. You're welcome to do some research on anxiety disorder if you want to find out more information on the topic, but your suggestion of everyone having an identifying name across all the different boards on the internet is a little creepy. It's actions like the search you did on my user name that make it that way, and I fail to see why you would want to see everything I post on other sites.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
As the Joker said, everything burns.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
"Forum Fatigue" or not, there is a recent trend here of mob mentality and lots of pseudo-debunkers pushing theirs value using bullying tactics.

In specific forums, you can no longer express freely any opignion going againt those "white knight".

Moderation rules should be extended to enforce respect of poster opinions. When a pseudo-debunker have voiced his opinion, if he persist at harassment, he should be moderated accordingly.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Metallicus

Hopefully after the idiots that support Sanders / Trump etc are done with their threads it will get better.

You're forgetting/ruling out that one of those two is going to win...

Which will only ensure another 4 years of it.

Our only hope is a Hillary win.
No fans on ATS it could be the shining light to the division we currently face as a site.

There we have it: an official Hillary supporter. Hard to believe hard to believe...

And you warned us to elect 'a man of God', or face tyranny. No wonder you support Hillary. A British Muslim calling Hillary, a) a man of God, and b) our only hope.

Tell you what Charlie.
When you arrive, wash up on the beach or whatever, don't leave the dental floss in the car, please, in case popcorn gets caught in your teeth, at the card table.

I just don't like your version of a man of 'God'. It sickens me, in fact, to the core.
Possibly even to death. I'd rather cope with Babylon, than to submit to your 'man of God', any and all of 'em, on any day of eternity.

# 582
edit on 1-3-2016 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Can't say I've posted enough to know what to say 'community wise' all I can say is, I'd probably rather hang around here, than where I was. At least I can get something useful. Where I'm coming from, I got nothing useful have been treated worse than thrash by the admin/mods of the site and I decided to take my leave slowly - alone. Maybe a break is good. I like it here, I'm more of a reader than a poster really. But I have to say that sometimes hanging around too much in the same place, loses it's vibrancy, and becomes more like a habit than excitement or an actual reason in itself to return. Or so I've experienced.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I remember when ATS was scrawled on old notebooks and hung up in the community square, and we were proud of that!
Now ats is run by cyborgs who demand we stop using vowels and only speak in haikus!

ATS has lost its way! Back before people came, it was great, we solved almost all global issues, invented warp drive, and discussed everything to include the most personal and even illegal information...now..you cant even make a thread saying you are somewhat critical about politicians before they all ban you!

Why you change ATS!!!! WHYYYYYY!!!

hipsters..they simply hate when things become popular.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Scrawled on old notebooks
Your village must have been rich
All we had was voice

I think my fear is that I see so many people missing that were huge contributors to ATS, and with the old guard gone, or moved up to other duties of moderating, we lost something.

There's no reason to return to all the past information that has been examined so many times the words in the text are wearing thin, and it's always good to bring new members into the boards. Reading through this thread has been more eye opening than expected because I wasn't expecting so much valuable input.

A lot of the older members that are here had very valid input that should be listened to so they remain contributing members of the forum. There has also been a lot of keen observation from newer members that don't know the history, but still had amazing insight into how to expand a site like ATS.

We've lost the conspiracy aspect of what ATS was, and I don't see it coming back. My theory is that those that seek to hide their activities from the public view have improved the methods they use to hide in an electronic world full of data.

We gave away the farm, but that doesn't mean the children need to starve.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Scrawled on old notebooks
Your village must have been rich
All we had was voice

I think my fear is that I see so many people missing that were huge contributors to ATS, and with the old guard gone, or moved up to other duties of moderating, we lost something.

There's no reason to return to all the past information that has been examined so many times the words in the text are wearing thin, and it's always good to bring new members into the boards. Reading through this thread has been more eye opening than expected because I wasn't expecting so much valuable input.

A lot of the older members that are here had very valid input that should be listened to so they remain contributing members of the forum. There has also been a lot of keen observation from newer members that don't know the history, but still had amazing insight into how to expand a site like ATS.

We've lost the conspiracy aspect of what ATS was, and I don't see it coming back. My theory is that those that seek to hide their activities from the public view have improved the methods they use to hide in an electronic world full of data.

We gave away the farm, but that doesn't mean the children need to starve.

Well, I haven't been around as long as you, but Ive been around long enough, and things tend to ebb and flow from what I seen
some years are more interesting than others, some conspiracys mroe worthwhile than others.
I think overall the site has maintained the same quality..end of the day, the quality is in the posters, not the admins. a few exceptions aside (Sandy Hook), its one of the most well laid out conspiracy websites on earth that isn't either a cluster-uc- of lunacy, trollfest, or hive minds.
I miss some old timers who left, some really good talent (and some really creative nuts :p )..but people burn out, or get bored, go seek greener pastures. I heard some even got a social life (the nerve!).

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
It's a tough line to walk. Unmoderated conspiracy forums are completely out of control, totally taken over by people who should seriously be on medication or something. An unguarded forum will be completely controlled by a hateful minority in a very short amount of time - conspiracy sites are the worst about this.

I can't visit /r/conspiracy at all anymore because the racism is so bad. It makes me sick to participate and maybe be confused with them. The responses you get there are so hateful, too. It shuts down all useful discussion. Other older sites were completely gonzo nuts many years ago.

The big change I have seen on here? Things that I read about on here as being crazy conspiracy 10-15 years ago are now just part of the every day news. People would have thought i was crazy to talk about conspiracy back then - and now they lean in and say "that's not the half of it!" Conspiracy has somehow gone mainstream - maybe the reach of the internet. MSM still tries to deny it, but I don't know anyone anymore who trusts the news, LOL.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I think my fear is that I see so many people missing that were huge contributors to ATS, and with the old guard gone

"They" have gotten to them!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
I am going to add that there is a drop in content in general. There was a period of a few hours the other day without any new threads at all it seemed.

I don't mind the political stuff I find it important but it gets tiring to see the same cheer leaders in the same discussions. It is cliquish at this point and most of the time conversation turns into this pissing contest of empirical evidence. The stars system needs an overhaul as I think it feeds into this. Not all conversations have to revolve around empiricism however it helps any claims you make you want others to take as factual but for some reason that is what most discussions devolve into.

As far as moderation I think it has become somewhat better although I question a few things still. I don't think that a thread should be shut down because a few posters take it off topic. You have the ability to delete and ban individual posters and post so use it. "Closed for review" is a joke. For anti-establishment types you sure do enjoy employing their methods like the above euphemism/doublespeak. Lets not turn this into a Stanford Prison Experiment scenario

I agree 100% on your assessment and I am very tired of the cliquish 'herd' mentality as well. Some say be the change you want to see, well, that is easier said than done when trying to avoid the mud slinging and pissing contests, aimed in any and all directions.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Most of the really cool stuff has already been discussed on ATS and sometimes it's hard to find the really cool stuff for this reason but there's some cool topics here. Just not as much as before. ATS is growing in numbers so there is more of everything: more good threads, more bad threads, etc...There's so much content that sometimes the good information gets lost; it's information overload.

Despite the change(s), I visit ATS everyday.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join