It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The reason I stopped posting on ATS

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:19 AM

originally posted by: ImmortalLegend527
I remember back in 2010 through 2012, it was a time in which every topic on ats had 1min last reply, 25 hours a day, 8 days a week. When I say every topic, I mean every topic all the way down the list of every forum. I come back after 4 years and it seems like the only topics are current events and political matters. I came here to be on the UFO forum and all I see is 9 hours ago, December of last year October of last year as well as other forums that use to be lit up like a Christmas tree on ats

But I guess 50 mods banning 50 people per month during the course of 4 years is why to me its gone down hill from 4 years ago…I guess I can say those were the good old days when traffic was 150% up on all topics and the reply time on every subject was beyond priceless for a forum.

I don’t know what as happened in the last 4 years on this site, but I will say from the time I was here to what im seeing now, ats has gone down 83% on every field of the mega super power it once was.

I am of the exact same opinion. Been visiting ATs since 2004.

My feeling : this website is dying slowly. Monthly visitors and content had a massive drop over the last year. It's now been a couple of months since i'm not finding interesting stuff anymore or i really have to search a long time about it.

General impression is : where's the old stuff ?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:05 PM
Personally I've thought that on the whole, the level of moderation here was well done and necessary. There are a lot of discussion sites, this one was always civil and on topic (overall, of course). I'm not an old member in the grand scheme of things and I don't post a lot but I've been here longer than I've been registered and I've seen the evolution.

Personally I think a lot of it is down to the users. Used to be, you could have a discussion about a conspiracy or UFO or a ghost sighting (paranormal issues were always more my cup of tea) without a flood of naysayers coming in to shut the topic down before it hits the third page. Everyone's entitled to an opinion and someone has to perform the ceremonial reality checks, but sometimes it's really out of hand and discouraging to people who want to contribute and discuss without being told they need a psych evaluation.

I tend to agree that there's "too much" political discussion going on these days. I absolutely can't stand politics, and I do everything in my power to ignore it, to the chagrin of my more political friends. But it's not really that there's too much political discussion, those forums are there for a reason. The problem is there isn't enough other content. Why is that? No really, I'd like to know. Has it all been discussed into the dirt? Are there no more conspiracies to bring out or ancient civilizations to dig up? Do people not want to talk about ghosts and aliens anymore? Did those members get run off by the newer crowd of members? Or is it just not as exciting anymore because every "fringe" topic has it's own show on the History Channel?

Maybe my glasses are a little rosey, but I like to think there used to be a lot of great content contributors here where I could read for hours and hours about the craziest stuff. And there still are some, don't get me wrong. But the top stories section now always seems to be relatively mundane breaking news, political, and religious debates. I still see the "old ATS" rise up from time to time, like a couple months ago when members here had the whole alien body mess sorted out in a matter of days. I don't know what my point is here, I'm just saying I understand where some people are coming from on this and I don't think you're crazy. ATS is still the only forum I regularly check to see "what's really going on out there".
edit on 14-2-2016 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:03 AM
The fact that many trolls have been blocked is testament to the website.

It will flourish.

It doesn't matter how many good or bad people there are.

The owner is who matters. And he is an overall good person. You can see this. No matter what you believe.

And owner. I know what you believe, you have stated it. Yet, listen to this message. Please.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:17 PM
a reply to: anxietydisorder

I would like to see deleted threads go to a special members section even where the threads are locked but still readable. Any private information issues can be censored to the degree necessary. Personally I've made probably 50 threads (I had previous account but don't remember username/password) and only one or two of them is deleted, while one or two of them also were moved. That is not excessive IMO.

I agree there is a lot of moderator activity, but I think it could be improved upon.

When a mod reads a post with any kind of personal insult against another person or group, whether or not its on the site, I'd like the mods to give the person some sort of negative mark that indicates how verbally insulting they are. And I've definitely posted a minor verbal insult or two but I think its fair if a moderator notes that at the end of the post.

So, the moderator would make a comment at the end of the post that is there for everyone to see. There is probably a forum specifically for this suggestion, and I'll look for it after making this post.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:39 PM

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: NihilistSanta

The Alexa data has always been unreliable. Its numbers are only from those who have the monitor-ware installed on their computer. People who would install that are not the type to visit ATS often.

The kind of people who are OK with having tracking software on their computers aren't clamoring to a site known for being a conspiracy site. Go figure.

On another note, I'm guessing some members joined in the first place mostly to discuss one or two specific topics that were dear to them. After a while, those topics become discussed to death, and many of the people who joined to discuss those topics feel less of a need to return to the site to continue flogging that horse.

Sure, maybe there were a few other topics in which they dallied from time to time, but I bet there was a main topic or two that brought them here in the first place, and the discussions relating those topics has run its course. Those people may find another similar site to bring up the topic again -- a site that has yet to beat the topic to death -- so they leave ATS and begin the topic discussion anew on the other site.

At least I think that may be a possible factor with some people who leave this site for another.

edit on 2/18/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
I love this site! I don't get to contribute like I did back in the day but that's because my responsibilities have changed. I still get on here almost daily to check certain forums or threads.

Sure the site has changed but doesn't every Internet site over time? It's still a great place for many topics of interest especially for me. Heck I have about a dozen threads I'm still reading through because I like to read all the links and replies.

ATS is what you make of it. If you don't like something contribute.

As for the cooking forum, it's one of my favorites next to UFO/Aliens 😝
edit on 2/21/2016 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:40 PM
While I can't agree with some of the OP, I must admit that since I first came by accident and then as a lurker back in 2004 and then member in 2005, this site was the best on the net. I had never seen anything like ATS in my life.
Since then, around 3 or 4 years ago really the quality of the posts started to go down, and instead of quality posts that kept you glued to the page, people started to post crap or threads were derailed at the drop of a hat and then insults started to be thrown.
I was once an everyday visitor, first thing in the morning before work and last thing at night when I got home. Now I visit maybe once every two months basically because the page has lost its edge I think.
edit on PM7Sun20161972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:47 PM

originally posted by: Ghost147
I'm on the same boat.

I've been seriously questioning my continued activity on these boards, for similar reasons.

it's been more than a year since I could force myself to start a post.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:52 PM
Sometimes it just becomes too much for me, i grow very tired and weary, and I stop posting.

But then I wake up the next morning, and i start again.

(post by roy786 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:48 AM
I quit posting regularly when President Obama took office.
The motto of the site is 'Deny Ignorance'. The ignorant racists came out of the woodwork when President Obama was elected.
People used to debunk crazy claims on this site. Now the likes of Alex Jones and Jesse Ventura are hailed as heroes on ATS. Ignorance is no longer denied here, it's celebrated.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:33 AM
a reply to: anxietydisorder

31 million stars! whats your secret? to be honest im scared of starting a thread too with all the rules and guidelines.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:03 PM
Much of the decline possibly relates to a form of mass-migration. As alternative subject matters become more popular in discussions, larger amounts of people are drawn to this kind of website. Where once a small number of newcomers would be surrounded by more developed notions of the subjects that drew them in and thus would be inclined to 'integrate', now with higher numbers of of new arrivals there is the possibility of forming 'intellectual ghettos' where they feel more comfortable.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:54 AM

I keep coming here every day, because this is still a place where I can discuss matters which are important to me, and to the world, in depth and with people who want to do the same. It is not always easy, but there again, most things that are worth doing, are not easy to do.

Very well said sir....

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:50 PM
Interesting thread. I used to be a daily visitor here. Actually I would find myself drawn here multiple times a day. Forum Fatigue or whatever you want to call it, I just stopped coming. Well, it has been a few years and this is the second time this week I have dropped into ATS. I am bored with where I have been hanging out and always think of ATS as having intelligent people who can be relied upon having a solid discussion. ATS has variety both in members and topics covered. I can honestly say ATS does offer something for everyone, you just need to find your interest.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:57 PM
a reply to: duke396

Wow, I agree quite a lot with your post.

My old account is password forgotten so I have made this one... back in '08 I remember a thread on strange creatures living under the Egyptian pyramids and having followed and capturing a friend of the OP's. He was scared and felt as though government operatives had been following him upon his return to NY. He eventually just stopped posting and whether it was pure fiction or something 'grander' had occurred I know not. Not being able to find the thread which had been saved to my favorites in my other account at one time I wonder why it had disappeared, why the discussion was sop well enjoyed with very little skepticism and that which was there was thoughtfully put forward.

Just a touch on my thoughts which empathize somewhat with general concerns. *tosses two pennies*

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 03:11 PM

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: skoalman88
a reply to: Indigo5

We are free to discuss all other events in which large amounts of people died but not Sandy Hook? Does claiming 9-11 was a false flag (for example) hurt those who lost loved ones less than debating what happened at Sandy Hook?

The difference between 9-11 conspiracy and Sandy that no one is denying that 9-11 happened or that the family members who lost people in that tragedy are lying and are actually actors hired by the government.

Sandy Hook parents have actually received repeated trolling...emails, calls etc. by raving conspiracy theorists accusing them of lying about their child being dead.

It is effen horrific in my strong opinion.

James Tracy, who taught a course chock-full of conspiracy theories at Florida Atlantic University, reportedly harassed parents of a Sandy Hook child, demanding proof of his death.

A Twitter troll is harassing the family of a Sandy Hook victim< br />

There didn't seem to be any mention of ATS in either of those links.
I fail to see how people's actions outside of the forums should dictate any rules/codes of conduct here. Unless you're suggesting that there's some sort of connection.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Fut004 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:06 PM
I have a two sided response to this.

The first side: I know how you feel. I had to take a long, long break from ATS a while back. It became an extremely toxic feeling online environment to me for a while. I finally came back though because I realized there are more kindred spirits here than I initially imagined (even if we don't communicate all that much - which is alright as I'm shy as it is lol.) And because I just... don't want to allow other people to drive me away from the simple act of expressing thought and opinion simply by virtue of their vitriol.

The second side: I posted a topic similar to this one when I left ATS. This is the third such topic I've seen since coming back. Yet... mine was deleted. I didn't say anything offensive or uncivil in said topic, so I'm a bit perplexed as to why that was the case. It wasn't moved to another thread, it was just... removed.

That said, I've been here long enough now and have taken enough intermittent breaks to realize that barring the site someday being completely taken over by different management who allow certain elements to flourish far more than they currently do, I'm probably never leaving.

But I do understand the desire to not post as much. Or when posting, to not participate much in discussion. My posts tend to just consist of, "Well, here's what I think." Or, "Here's some information." Or, "I don't know, but this is how I feel about this at the moment." Then I move on generally. If there's one thing my posts are not it's an invitation to argue. Arguing online is a futile task and triggers my social anxiety so... I just leave.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:29 PM
Ats has turned into a daily posting of obscure blogs and star fishing, many daily posters use obscure blogs or re use the same stories to push there silly propaganda, even if the mods get alerted on these posters, they keep on recycling the same garbage.

Cant wait for another 8 years of blaming obama the commy,muslim dog eater, oh and i aint even a fan of obama .
edit on 26-2-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:42 PM
a reply to: Murgatroid

That actually makes a lot of sense and would explain a lot that otherwise makes little sense here on ATS...

And from the advertisers standpoint, it kills two birds with one stone.

Actually, it kills two stones with one bird.

Sorry, had to add that for a chuckle.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>