It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, what are your thoughts on dinosaurs?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
(post by Prezbo369 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: chr0naut

Mega fauna and Dinosaurs are not the same thing, at least not that I'm aware of. Mega fauna died off during the younger dryas, 12800 years ago, Dinosaurs died off 65 million years ago. The only correlation being a large astronomical event ending them both.

I would argue that smaller dinosaur descendants exist to this day (in Avains, not Reptiles).

Mega Fauna to me are all those that have excessively large body mass and would find great difficulty surviving in our current environment. This would include dinosaurs.

Alligators and crocodiles could reasonably be classed as existing dinosaurs as they developed fairly much their current form during the time period associated with dinosaurs.

Most dinosaurs were reptiles, but alligatoridae, crocodylidae and gavialidae are descended from a different branch of the phylolgenetic tree.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369
Damn dude, that in no way makes someone a whack job.

Evolution is a theory, old, flawed, and I don't believe in Darwin's theory of evolution at all. Or that the big bang theory is correct.

That makes me and anyone else a skeptic and that's not crazy. Calculating the age of the earth and saying the universe was a single tiny point that went bang and everything just happened to come together for unknown, unexplainable reasons is crazy to a lot of non religious people who don't accept everything they are told.

Insults are a clear sign of anger and frustration. What's got ya so angry?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rasalghul
a reply to: uncommitted

If I thought everyone took it literally I wouldn't ask the question. Of course it isn't historically accurate (the bible). Lot's of the tales in Genesis are of greater Mesopotamian origin (Sumer, Babylon, Canaan, Akkadia all had similar tales) and we just have a retelling of them in the bible.

They are not Jewish tales, just Israelite versions of older tales. But if you don't take it literally, I find that odd, you literally believe some, but not all, of the bible. Do you have a process for determining allegory from the literal? If some parts are just mythology, well, then it's not truth. I would have a difficult time with that, as "the word of god" is taken literally by many christians. Scientific discoveries that don't jive with Genesis has forced many to alter biblical interpretation to suit developments in human knowledge.

I can't believe that Enoch is not canonical, it answers the question better than science or re interpretation ever could. It's THE answer.

Are christians afraid of a book that makes it make sense? Enoch is the best book out of all scripture. IMO.

The question you ask " Do you have a process for determining allegory from the literal" is nothing really to do with this thread, but seeing as you ask, I take the basic tenet of the New Testament to be "be nice to each other". That's my choice, you don't have to do an exam.

(post by Prezbo369 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Mega fauna and Dinosaurs are not the same thing, at least not that I'm aware of. Mega fauna died off during the younger dryas, 12800 years ago, Dinosaurs died off 65 million years ago. The only correlation being a large astronomical event ending them both.

I would argue that smaller dinosaur descendants exist to this day (in Avains, not Reptiles).

Mega Fauna to me are all those that have excessively large body mass and would find great difficulty surviving in our current environment. This would include dinosaurs.

Alligators and crocodiles could reasonably be classed as existing dinosaurs as they developed fairly much their current form during the time period associated with dinosaurs.

Most dinosaurs were reptiles, but alligatoridae, crocodylidae and gavialidae are descended from a different branch of the phylolgenetic tree.

That's a fair point, but you would then still agree they are examples of what we could consider dinosaurs walking or swimming amongst us.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I remember as a kid someone found a living dodo bird in the 80's I think. Do you, or anyone else remember that?

No, I don't remember that. For one to have been living in the (I assume you mean) 1980's, it would have needed to have generations of predecessors prior to then of which there is no evidence.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul

Hi Rasalghul

They are actually mentioned in the bible in the book of Job and also the "root" translation for beasts in the book of Genesis is "treaders" which is a good description when you think of it. That said, the bible has some uncanny quirks that those who don't believe will not even look for. One I like to term as the signature of God is the mathematical sevens that can be found in the gospels...this is just one example which you couldn't do even if you had all of the super computers in the world to try and do it...

www.youtube.com...

The bible is mainly to do with Christ who is "the word of God" - Since God is eternal so is His Word and so is His Spirit 3 in 1 and 1 in 3 - Jesus has always been and will continue for ever. People who are not Christian will many times see Jesus as just a man who lived 2000 years ago who was a good teacher. You must look further than this to see who Christ is. Jesus is not a baby in a manger like the world continues to dwell on. He is the creator of everything we see and don't see and through the word of His power He holds it altogether. He literally is God in the flesh...not half man and half God but fully man and fully God. Takes a lot to get your head round that but the key is faith and without it the bible will not open up to anyone. He came to earth to take us back to paradise and save us from total destruction...this has yet to fully play out but is quickly becoming a reality. I encourage you to look deeper into the person of Jesus, Who He is and why. Many people just look at Jesus as a man and then fail to look fully into the bible and realize that actually Jesus has always been and only recently in our History came and walked as a man...

Don't get into denominational confusion - its not about where you go on sundays or saturdays. its about knowing Christ and Him knowing you. You can have a personal relationship with the creator of all the universe and that is what the bible leads you to. A little scenario - You may know a lot about the queen but if you knocked on her door would she let you in? No because she doesn't personally know you. If she knew you then she would let you in. The same is with Christ - the more you read about Him and get to know Him the closer you get to the truth. Christ is the King of Kings and He wants to know us. Begin in the gospel of John!

A little off topic from dinosaurs but still very interesting. God bless

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

That's a fair point, but you would then still agree they are examples of what we could consider dinosaurs walking or swimming amongst us.

Yes, by general public definition, but no by scientific taxonomy.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ccsaxton

You could make that argument about strange creatures being mentioned in the bible. But I don't recall anyone actually seeing a dinosaur because when man was created they didn't exist. At least not until the Nephilim and their cross breeding activities which does get outlawed in Exodus I believe. The monsters mentioned in the bible almost always come from pre-Israel mythology from Mesopotamia. Or are mythological Hebrew tales. They weren't real, Leviathan doesn't exist, Mammon is a metaphor for greed and the worship of money. Dinosaurs didn't exist in ancient Canaan or anywhere. Long extinct by then.

edit on 8-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I literally saw the bird on tv. It was without a doubt a dodo bird, from what I had learned about dodo's. And it was definitely called by everyone a dodo bird, and then I never heard about it again. So there are more somewhere, this one was just found, it must have strayed from where they are hiding, and probably have evolved instinctively to hide to prevent there extinction.

. I have no question that I saw it on the local news as a kid. I don't remember things that didn't happen and loved dinosaurs so much I was fully aware of what a dodo bird was so I didn't get the bird wrong either.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I definitely missed that, my mistake. What he said is crazy you were right. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I literally saw the bird on tv. It was without a doubt a dodo bird, from what I had learned about dodo's. And it was definitely called by everyone a dodo bird, and then I never heard about it again. So there are more somewhere, this one was just found, it must have strayed from where they are hiding, and probably have evolved instinctively to hide to prevent there extinction.

. I have no question that I saw it on the local news as a kid. I don't remember things that didn't happen and loved dinosaurs so much I was fully aware of what a dodo bird was so I didn't get the bird wrong either.

They were only ever native to Mauritius, I'm afraid what you think you saw was at best a prank or a misremembered memory. Please don't try and pursue the argument, it's pointless and I for one won't respond.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

· I see. I'm a firm believer that anyone who trusts his instincts is trusting God. So if you're constantly learning and your instincts are telling you something, faith in your instincts is faith in God. Instinct is almost separate from free will. Instinct is from God, given to us by God. So if you feel it go with it.

· Please just take my advice on one thing. Don't fear being wrong, if you learn something you thought was true isn't, rejoice because you have learned the truth, don't get confused and lose faith. It just means you learned, not that your not smart or anything bad. I like to try and prove myself wrong sometimes.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

No, it was a dodo bird, I don't forget certain things and I am 100% sure it was a legitimate news story and not a prank, and I assure you I didn't mis-remember anything.

· Could have been hushed up who knows. And stranger things than that exist, a dodo bird is nothing. It's not like I'm claiming I saw a UFO or someone shape-shift. I'm remembering a news story. I don't know what happened, I never heard about it again. But you aren't omnipresent and don't have access to all the info in the world. Just because YOU don't know about it doesn't erase my very reliable long term memory. Certain things are singed in my mind and that is one.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
a reply to: StallionDuck

No, it's beliefs like this that makes you a whack job....

Many people would rather see the likes of me dead and murdered simply because I wouldn't believe in evolution, or a 13billion year time table and so forth

It's responses like this that turn a decent thread into a flaming all out fight.

You would be ignorant if you believe that people didn't feel that Christians are a waste of breath. I personally knew people growing up (who were even friends of mine) that believed that all Christians and Jews should be killed. Yeah, they were racist too. Why we remained friends while knowing I believed in God? I listed to heavy metal so I guess that made some kind of difference. Did they act upon it? No... they just believed it.

Christians are killed in other parts of the world simply because they are Christian and not muslim. How can you deny that? There are atheist who purposely dog Christians every day just because they're Christian. Sure.. there are Christians that do the same thing but I'm not denying that. You're simply denying the other side of it. To say that it's only one sided is completely ignorant.

So tell me... all knowing one... What constitutes me as a whack job, again?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I definitely missed that, my mistake. What he said is crazy you were right. Sorry.

Seriously?

Crazy? In that one response, I no longer believe you to be the rational person I thought you were.

How about doing a little bit of your own damn research before you ride the wagon with another self righteous ignorant...

Look it up!

Really sad and pathetic, man... Really sad...

Persecutions.... China... Rome... More... Read your history!

Damn ignorant!

edit on 8-2-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Raggedyman

I personally think evolution is a areaming pile of ..it. But I am not a christian.

Evolution is the only answer the secular world have, no other valid options exist
And really, it does seem reasonable, just lacks credible evidence

I don't think it's a steaming pile of anything, think it's a reasonable sounding theory with so far no evidence

I was once an evolution believer, not any more

The simple truth is I studied it in detail, and found it wanting.
The more I questioned what I had learned about the problems, the issues surrounding evolution the more and harder I was attacked.
Almost like I was leaving a cult religion, completely disassociated and ostracised

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

It's responses like this that turn a decent thread into a flaming all out fight.

You would be ignorant if you believe that people didn't feel that Christians are a waste of breath. I personally knew people growing up (who were even friends of mine) that believed that all Christians and Jews should be killed. Yeah, they were racist too. Why we remained friends while knowing I believed in God? I listed to heavy metal so I guess that made some kind of difference. Did they act upon it? No... they just believed it.

Are you aware that not all people that deny evolution are christians? Are you aware that most christians accept evolution? Are you aware that evolution has nothing whatsoever to do with christianity?.....

Christians are killed in other parts of the world simply because they are Christian and not muslim.

Many muslims are killed every day because they're the wrong type of muslim. What does this have to do with anything?

How can you deny that?

Eh?...

There are atheist who purposely dog Christians every day just because they're Christian. Sure.. there are Christians that do the same thing but I'm not denying that. You're simply denying the other side of it. To say that it's only one sided is completely ignorant.

What does this have to do with anything?

So tell me... all knowing one... What constitutes me as a whack job, again?

The fact you believe things like:

Many people would rather see the likes of me dead and murdered simply because I wouldn't believe in evolution

....and that you link to a search results page for 'atheist kills christian' asthough this proves you right! lol wth

And that you remained friends with racist psychopaths because you shared the same taste in music.

etc

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul

oh stop it you are creeping me out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join