It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: I'd bring back 'a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Is the use of truth drugs considered torture?
Also they have a computer program that is nearly capable of reading your mind....how bout that?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Wow, way to stretch the hypothetical. I'd do whatever I had to, and you would as well.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Freenrgy2

I apologize, perhaps your child would not be lost forever. The corpse, at the very least, would likely be discovered. Eventually. Or perhaps you would get lucky, and they would be saved.
The torture, of course, would only get in the way and reduce their odds of survival.

This isn't a case of me saying torture is a terrible, evil thing, and that's why it should not be used. Of course, that is also an issue, but it is not the argument I am using. I am saying that you would be better off flipping a coin than attempting to extract information in such a way.

What you'd have to do is not what necessarily what you think you'd have to do. Do not make that mistake.

edit on 8/2/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

edit on 8/2/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Mysterious Reasons

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

Indeed it is, they just change the definition to suit the moment..torture at one point in time is now "enhanced interrogation" They will do it with people as well.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

1. False Leads - You do not know till you track them down
2. Apologies- Sounds good to me
3. War Crimes - on whose side?
4. How it is creating new terrorists? They are there and has nothing to do waterboarding.

I prefer Jack Ryan to Bauer by the way....

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Again, no answers on how to get the information, right? What technique we as a country should use. Is pharma better? Jack them up with drugs and try to get a good answer out of them.

The tactics that are being used now.
Last time I checked the USA was hardy running red with the blood of terrorist victims.

originally posted by: matafuchsI would think you would be more concerned that the US passed provisions that make it easier to simply kill someone with no blowback that to waterboard. This was also done during the BUSH admin but no one talks about how it was during that term 'waterboarding' became something not to use. KSM, the 9/11 mastermind did not give up information during that time but months later finally broke. That is not evidence that it did not work.

Yeah he broke.....after the 9/11 attacks. So much for your BS 72 hours strawman argument.

Hell it it was MONTHS after he was captured he broke. MONTHS. By that time most cells would have either attacked or changed were the information he gave was irrelevant.

This is also not a partisan issue. This is a military issue and DHS/CIA issue. I could care less if Bozo the Clown was POTUS if one interrogation lead to lives saved it is worth it.

Again a cowards argument and a slippery slope to tyranny.

With that argument I could say ban guns cause if if it saves just one life it will ve worth it......

Or

Put all muslims into camps because if it saves one life it will be worth.

We dont preserve freedom and justice by makeing comprises

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2
a reply to: masqua

You're all skirting the issue. Trying everything in your power to justify not obtaining information through any means necessary. If they were your kids, you would do whatever it took to get information. Would I waterboard, yep. I do know whatever was necessary, short of death, to obtain information that I believed would be credible and actionable in order to prevent mass murder.

And that makes you a coward.

Hate use a cliché but freedom isnt free.

Some times a terrorist attack every now and then will get through.

Sacrificing our values and freedoms to for abit more security is cowardly and wrong and what terrorists want.

Sometimes innocent people will die because of freedom. That is the price.
The price is nor BS oil wars or ME intervention which politicians want you to think. The price is that maybe a terrorist sttack will get through.

If a suicide bomber killed me tomorrow I would loath to think people would use it to justify torture and other crimes as that devalues what I died for.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

This won't hurt him.... It will actually help him in the long run.
Every crazy thing he has said over the last few months has never hurt him. His numbers prove that fact.
You wanna know why this and everything else he spews won't effect those numbers?
He has the media in the palm of his hands. In his book he describes exactly what he is doing. He is using a the mass manipulation powers of the media against itself. Amazingly he appears to be educating people(something not easily done in America) with this tactic and it's working in his favor.

Most people don't know the current situation in regards to terrorist suspects. With Guantanamo bay now closed(but other torture camps still open) we just drone strike them and their family without even trying to properly identify the suspect or extract information. Not agreeing with either practice but you need to ask yourself.

Is capturing one suspected terrorist and torturing him for information, better than simply vaporizing the whole family at a wedding? I believe this it what will come to light from Trumps comment. He is making us look at this hard subject for what it is rather than skirt the issue like every other candidate out there.
Another win for Trump... You will see.

The stuff Bernie Sanders says about the use of drones should be far more concerning to people.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

1. False Leads - You do not know till you track them down
2. Apologies- Sounds good to me
3. War Crimes - on whose side?
4. How it is creating new terrorists? They are there and has nothing to do waterboarding.

I prefer Jack Ryan to Bauer by the way....

You missed the point of what I was getting at. I was saying that for every ONE successful case, all other cases just result in the 4 or so things I listed. Like when I said apologies, I meant WE are apologizing to someone for torturing an innocent or something like that.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Trying everything in your power to justify not obtaining information through any means necessary. If they were your kids, you would do whatever it took to get information.

uhhhh......

no.

I would not waterboard or torture my kids.
That is insane.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

With Guantanamo bay now closed(but other torture camps still open) we just drone strike them and their family without even trying to properly identify the suspect or extract information

Wait...what?

Can you show us evidence that Gitmo is now closed? Last I checked, it isn't.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Maher Arar never got a free pass. Kids get tortured too, ya know.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Yeah, I know. Torture is always wrong. Always.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Coward? o.k. let em attack us.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Great job misinterpreting my post.

bye bye

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Can't wait until the unthinkable happens in this country and then folks like you will be out for blood.

Good old double standard is alive and well.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Can't wait until the unthinkable happens in this country and then folks like you will be out for blood.

I think you're missing the points. I want us to be safe too. I also practice several martial arts and was in the army. I understand violence and the need for it to defend oneself at times.

However, torture is different. Historically, we know that it doesn't produce reliable information and it radicalizes our enemies.

Think about that sentence for a moment. It doesn't produce results and it causes our enemies to become more radicalized --meaning violent towards us. Why do something when it only has a negative result for us?

Next you'll be telling us to be as savage as ISIS to give them the fear that so many of you have. Videos of American soldiers Beheading terrorists and burning terrorists alive and pushing them off towers to their deaths? I'd rather be an American. We might kill to defend ourselves but we don't torture people for fun and amusement. We're better than that.

edit on 8-2-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Speaking of double standards... who's been doing all the attacking over the last few decades? The history of the West interfering in the ME is pretty 'colourful', to say the least.

Hmmm?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Great job misinterpreting my post.

Crap job getting your point across. (BTW, you didn't.)

bye bye

edit on 2/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

That sounds rather sick and disturbing. You are anxious for people to die and be maimed JUST so you can laugh, point, and say I told you so?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join