It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 dead 3 injured as meteorite hits southern India

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
It may be the first fatality but there have been a number of very close calls over the last century, there are been a number of home strikes by Meteorites and I believe a few cars have been hit and from memory I believe a dog has been killed in one instance???... I guess it was a matter of time before a human got hit??..

As someone that has a quite substantional meteorite collection I can tell you that even a very small fragment could be fatal, do not think it needs to be a bowling ball size to casuse a decent amount of damage.

RA
edit on 9-2-2016 by slider1982 because: grammer

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

There was one woman, Ann Hodges, who was hit by a meteorite that came through her roof in Alabama in 1954. It bounced around in the room a bit and hit her on the hip. She lived. Technically not a direct hit, if it had been I don't think she would have survived.

firsttoknow.com...
edit on 9-2-2016 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Was it a meteorite was was it a space weapon? www.abreureport.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: asen_y2k

1 dead 3 injured as meteorite hits southern India

Talk about bad luck...it probably wasn't the way that person thought they would go.

At least will be remembered..

lol, what a way to go. May as well be known as "that guy" !

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
There is one report of a fireball seen in the vicinity. Fireball Event

I just saw a big, brighter, long duration meteor from south to north, from the radio astronomy field station of of Raman Research Institute and Indian Institute of Astrophysics at Gauribidanur. I was checking in the web whether there is any active meteor showers now, but not. As I have't seen such a kind of meteor before, in terms of size and length, I suspect it's a fireball. As I noted the option to report such events in imo website earlier, I do hereby.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abreu
Was it a meteorite was was it a space weapon? www.abreureport.com...

And they carried it out right in the middle of a big city?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Meteorites that impact man-made or living objects are sub- classified as "Hammer Stones".
There are many instances. Other than mentioned previous.. Claxton hit a mailbox, and Nakhla killed a dog....

Poor chap was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but was killed by non-meteoritic debris.
edit on 11-2-2016 by charlyv because: clarity

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join