It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A great scene by Terrence Malick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Director/writer/producer Terrence Malick has made some great films. He's among my favorites, with Welles and Kubrick.

This scene in his film "Tree Of Life", has been interpreted in countless ways.

For thoes unfamiliar with his work, Malick is constantly attempting to portray the intangible. The fundamental questions of human existence. The creation of the Earth, then man. Eternal struggles between man and nature, and what he has called "the silence of God".
Malick's friend and effects supervisor, Michael Fink, discussed Tree Of Life's "dinosaur scene" with Malick himself. According to Fink,
Malick wished to convey the moment in history when a living creature first felt empathy.

The premise of the four-shot scene was to depict the birth of consciousness (what some have called the “birth of compassion”)—the first moment in which a living creature made a conscious decision to choose what Michael described as “right from wrong, good from evil.” Or, perhaps, a form of altruism over predatory instinct.

Source:
www.slate.com...
edit on 7-2-2016 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I absolutely loved The Tree of Life.
A great scene and a great movie.

The scene/section 'Cosmos' has to be one of the most incredible scenes from any movie.

edit on 7-2-2016 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I just saw a dinosaur that wasn't hungry.

join