It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop who shot Quintonio LeGrier and neighbor sues teen's estate, claiming trauma

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

None of those jobs are low paying...

Entry teacher national average 50k a year: Source

Police officer national average 56k a year: Source and even more today

Average fire fighter annual salary 50k a year: Source and even more today

The lower paid LEO/Fire work in cities that don't have as high of a need or risk and vice versa.

paramedic rounds out the bottom of that group at 40k a year:

Source but also requires the least amount of training.
edit on 9-2-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Only in America...

A Chicago police officer who fatally shot a 19-year-old college student and accidentally killed his neighbor filed a lawsuit against the teenager's estate Friday, arguing the student's actions prompted the shooting and caused the officer "extreme emotional trauma."

So, basically this is an attempt by law enforcement and the city to circumvent a lawsuit. How the officer in question avoided at least being charged for involuntary manslaughter (negligent homicide) concerning the neighbour is entirely different rabbit hole. I get that it was an accident that would of never happened if he didn't fire so many times, but isn't there a certain legal protocol or due process to be followed concerning that incident in the court of law whenever an innocent person unrelated to an incident is killed? Why is there an ongoing investigation outside the court of law concerning that particular event...?

The family of the innocent neighbour who was accidentally killed has every right (and good case) to sue the city and department (or whomever is on the hook for the tab) for millions due to loss of life, abuse, trauma, etc.

But the Tribune, citing a law enforcement source, first reported a few days after the shooting that Rialmo told investigators that the teen had swung at him with a baseball bat, prompting the officer to shoot LeGrier.

Man...back in my troubled teen years I had a few bats swung at me. I dealt with it without being seriously injured (bruised up, yes). In fact, my martial arts training allowed me to end up holding the bat...

Father + Cop + both having Fear/lacking brawn + both lacking deescalation tactics + gun + baseball bat = 19 year old man and 55 year old lady DEAD x 3 Lawsuits x 3 families ruined.

Bloody hell...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

And you're ugly.

See how fun silly little personal attacks are?

...but s/he was addressing the OP and referencing the officer in the article with that comment - not YOU personally. Yet, you went and addressed them personally.

a reply to: Subsonic

So let me get this straight.

This asshole is suing the family because he did his job?

Nothing surprises me with stupid cops anymore.

And yeah...you're all stupid just for taking a dangerous low pay job.........

Sticks and stones, Officer. Chill out. Your response demonstrates a low emotional I.Q - playground antics. Grow some thicker skin - toughen up.

Btw, I agree that it is a low paying job according to what officer's make around my way, but then again most of our officer's have post secondary education:

Half of Toronto police workforce earned $100,000 last year

The current base salary of a constable is between $88,844 and $96,846, plus benefits

For the rest of Canada, officers earn this much:

When you successfully complete the Cadet Training Program and have been offered employment, you will be hired as a Constable at an annual salary of $50,674. Usually, within 36 months of service, your annual salary will have increased incrementally to $82,108.

Something to marinate on...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic
he shot a guy who he should have been able to take with non lethals and missed and killed a neighbor lady i feel its insane he even still has a job on the force and i thing the neighbors family needs to sue the poop out of him. why wasn't he brought up on negligent homicide or at least manslaughter for killing the old lady. the boy he shot was armed with a bat. i am no cop but i could have disarmed a guy wielding a bat with my barehands i have done it before.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

You were there? No - then you have no idea what was occurring let alone what an officer should have been able to do. Monday morning quarterbacking is problematic enough but when you think you can do a better job then put your money where your mouth is. Become a police officer and serve your community.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join