It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Can Now Radically Expand the Lifespan of Mice—and Humans May Be Next

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting, ATS. Medical Researchers at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine-led by cell biologists Darren Baker and Jan van Deursen have made an exciting discovery on how to combat the aging process. By elimenating cells in the body which no longer re-produce called Senescent cells, they found that they were able to increase the lifespans of mice by 25%! People are next......

In a study published today in the journal Nature, medical researchers at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine-led by cell biologists Darren Baker and Jan van Deursen-have made this decade's biggest breakthrough in understanding the complex world of physical aging. The researchers found that systematically removing a category of living, stagnant cells (ones which can no longer reproduce) extends the lives of otherwise normal mice by 25 percent. Better yet, scouring these cells actually pushed back the process of aging, slowing the onset of various age-related illnesses like cataracts, heart and kidney deterioration, and even tumor formation.

"It's not just that we're making these mice live longer; they're actually stay healthier longer too. That's important, because if you were going to equate this to people, well, you don't want to just extend the years of life that people are miserable or hospitalized," says Baker.

Quite sinply, these scientists have developed a cellular "Kill Switch" whereby they discovered that Senescent cells constantly produce a certain tumor suppressing protein called p16Ink4a or p16. "By rewriting a tiny portion of the mouse genetic code, Baker and van Deursen's team developed a genetic line of mice with cells that could, under the right circumstances, produce a powerful protein called Caspase when they start secreting p16. Caspase acts essentially as a self-destruct button; when it's manufactured in a cell, that cell rapidly dies." So, the dying cells produce Caspase and kill themselves faster-voila!

By giving the genetically manipulated mice a certain medicine the kill switch gets activated. This is exciting news but also very scary for me because, in the wrong hands, this technology could be used to easily eliminate people. Just imagine if people are manditoraly manipulated at birth or any period in their lives by TPTB so that they could be "dismissed" at any time......the value placed on life becomes insignificant and humans further slip into the plans of TPTB. That's my opinion. What says ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Sign me up! To the life extending part, not the quick controlled death.

2nd.
edit on 7-2-2016 by ChuckNasty because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

People are next......

Well, wealthy people are next

Me? I'm not really sure I want to live any longer with things the way they are anyway lol

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I've heard about this research. My question is: does it kill senescent brain cells? Mice don't express themselves verbally so it's probably hard to tell. It is going to take a lot of testing before experimentation can start on humans.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I dont think it's a good idea.

There is a theory that the reason the number of people suffering with things like Dementia and the like is that the human brain was never supposed to last as long as it does now. Remember generations ago the human life span was a lot less. We were lucky to reach our forties at one point and now we have people living to their 90s, and now we're talking about longer and then longer, so maybe the human race wasn't supposed to live that long in our current form, evolution for humanity seems to have either stalled or reached it's peak maybe it'll take a artificial evolution or forced evolution for us to be able to live longer.

Side note: I only want to live longer if I can have a good life, health wise. If I'm gonna get older and weaker and weaker in a world that seems to be getting darker and more violent then Nah I dont really fancy that.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
How long would you put off dying? Forever?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
How long would you put off dying? Forever?

As long as possible. No apologies. I want to see what happens next.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

I've heard about this research. My question is: does it kill senescent brain cells? Mice don't express themselves verbally so it's probably hard to tell. It is going to take a lot of testing before experimentation can start on humans.

Apparently, the Senescent cells kill themselves. Whenever they release the p16 protein which is a specific trait of Senescent cells, these cells are programmed to release Caspace which is a cellular destroying protein upon releasing the p16 protein.

-Voila! Cellular kill switch.......

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Well, wealthy people are next
a reply to: mymymy

You said that right. You and I are probably way down on the totem pole.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
25% = 25 years?

It's Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451, 1984...or Soylent Green when there is too many people living too long of lives.

Wonderful find. Though, we should all know as conspiracy theorist, that any Known technological advancement made to the public has 30 years of advancement made in the shadows... I would not go far to say "immortals" live among us, but those with a life longevity are about.

Regards,

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
25% = 25 years?

It's Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451, 1984...or Soylent Green when there is too many people living too long of lives.

Wonderful find. Though, we should all know as conspiracy theorist, that any Known technological advancement made to the public has 30 years of advancement made in the shadows... I would not go far to say "immortals" live among us, but those with a life longevity are about.

Regards,

Just what I was thinling. There's already 7 billion people on this planet, with people living longer lives that will only make the world more crowded and polluted. There will be even less resources which will lead to more wars to fight over those resources, more famine as a growing population needs more food, and more disease as nature's way to achieve balance...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
As long as people will work 25% longer I don't see an issue.

The life expectancy was low because children would die a lot. once one became an adult having good hygiene, and avoiding plague, war, and a serious injury resulting in gang green would result in a long life.

If one wants to advocate dying at a certain age and forego medical advances, good for them. Do not I repeat Do not tell me how long I should be allowed to live.
This is one of things where one who spouts this garbage should sign an agreement to off themselves at the age that they have determined as too old. It is my biggest pet peeve when population reductionist act so casually about it as if billions of people are just a simple number.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Quite a few years ago I remember reading about how they're were working on this exact type of development. Now here it is. I dunno, I guess I'm like everyone else in that living a little longer would be nice. I wish they would have developed this while I was a little younger with more natural years ahead of me to extend.

I don't feel nor look old, two more years I'll hit the BIG 50. To be honest, the last few years I've really been watching my diet and have a decent yearly physical activity schedule. I'm in better shape now in my late 40s then I was in most of my 30s.

I think a healthy diet and lifestyle no matter what type of pill or bio technique procedure they develop is still key to a sense of well being.
edit on 7-2-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Expand the lifetime of mice, to do what? torture them a bit more?

They should rather provide the world population with clean natural water and foods.
All these useless but very pricey experiments aren't going to help us "expand" our knowledge even if we could live 200 years.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
As long as people will work 25% longer I don't see an issue.

So what will change then? Remember people also die because they work too much.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire Instead give me 300, plus one! Angels, that is

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

Dementia has many causes, but the one you are likely referring to (schizophrenia) is caused by a build up of beta amyloid "plaque". This is likely caused by disrupted sleep, as beta amyloid is a waste that is removed from the brain during sleep via a secondary vascular system. When you are awake, you create the beta amyloid as waste. When you sleep, you move it out of the brain. Interrupt that tcycle, and the beta amyloid just builds up in situ.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'll wait for the Wolverine like healing factor.

Or Deadpool healing factor.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
and the zombie virus is made lol

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
25% = 25 years?

Regards,

Just what I was thinling. There's already 7 billion people on this planet, with people living longer lives that will only make the world more crowded and polluted. There will be even less resources which will lead to more wars to fight over those resources, more famine as a growing population needs more food, and more disease as nature's way to achieve balance...

There's plenty of space across the planet. Though most is water (75%), desert, tundra, (20%). The remain 4% is where everyone lives, and is 80% agricultural/20% urban area.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join