It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question For Those Of Religous Faith

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest
Every religion can bring you peace and love and joy. Not just Jesus.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I never thought of points in any way to help people in need. I did it before I was saved and I do it today.

Just the other night I am driving home and it is below freezing, I see an old lady walking home I guess, so I stopped to offer her a ride. she wouldn't give me the time of Day. I just thought a ride home in the cold is better than walking. But hey what do I know. she ignored my offer I drove on home.

no points gained or lost but I did a good deed just in asking.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: DaphneApollo
No one was trying to force scriptures down anyone's throat. I was simply replying to the point that no oneeds a book to teach right and wrong and that it is not always clear.

I too have had an experience with God. I know Jesus Exists too!

Thanks for replying. I wasn't meaning you particularly, but trying to make a point about the Empathy not Religion post of mine earlier.

I actually like talking about scripture and the Bible. We all can learn better when we are receptive to it. I certainly didn't mean any offense to you.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DaphneApollo

I was not offended I just wanted it clear I wasn't trying to force scripture. I tend to speak better with Gods word than my own.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to: ChesterJohn

People know better than to get in cars with strangers these days. Bad things have happened to people who take that offer.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
a reply to: Raggedyman

Christianity teaches we are not rewarded for good deeds, our good deeds are like dirty rags to God

Where did you learn that?

Read Matthew 25:31-46; It pretty much conflicts with your assessment of Christianity and God's view on the good works of his followers.

Also Jesus himself even states. Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven Luke 6:2

I don't deny that good deeds make a persons Christianity visible, my point is do individual good deeds guarantee a place in heaven or does Christ

The deeds have no value outside of Christ , deeds are worthless

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
True faith is what makes true Christians do good works, not the promise of eternal life. In my belief, when you truly accept Jesus Christ into your heart, you follow Christ's teachings because you've let the Holy Spirit guide and work through you and you give the glory of any good acts to God. As Christian, I understand that humans will never be absolutely perfect because of original sin and can only pray that God guides and directs my day to day actions.
I don't find myself being grateful to God because of the promise of eternal life in my day to day prayers. I am grateful just for being alive now, not because I am promised eternal life.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: Rasalghul

You can have peace, tolerance, love and joy, while Abiding in Christ.

I don't believe you can have peace in Christ in this world
This world is broken, abused, destroyed and full of sin.
Justice does not exist, how can we have peace, Christ will bring peace

The promise is for the future, Christ will return to restore and bring us rest from this place

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

That was my point. The OP seems to think that if we have faith, we ARE only motivated by a need to earn our way into heaven. I was being sarcastic with my initial response.

I do what I do in my day to day because it needs doing and because I can.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Deeds don't save you. None of us "deserve" salvation, it is a gift from God. None of us are good, nothing we can do can earn our way into heaven. When Jesus Christ enters our hearts, and we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we find a new spirit of love, and of giving within us. Not even that is from us, as our nature is sinful. If it were not for the Holy Spirit we would not be who we are. But works, love of others, a spirit of giving and forgiveness, this is evidence that the Holy Spirit is working in our lives, this is just evidence of salvation but it is not from us, and does not make us worthy of heaven, heaven itself, salvation and forgiveness of sin, that is given freely, a gift no one deserves, but God gives it to us anyway because He loved us.

I don't think this is something someone who is not saved can properly understand. Its just something you have to experience, or forever not understand.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

This world develops a relationship with God, a knowledge of His nature. Our trials they refine us, we will have low points and God will carry us through them, and in them is where we grow and learn. And in the high points those are the times we have rest, and all of this in this world is getting to know, and truly appreciate, the nature of God.

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

we look forward to what we learn, we have joy in our trials because we grow in them, we have joy in our rest, we simply have joy to know God, in the part we can know Him now, and look forward to that day, when we know as fully as we are known.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rasalghul
Every religion can bring you peace and love and joy. Not just Jesus.

I don't personally believe that, but ok.

So why make a big deal about religion then? You were the one implying that tolerance and peace cannot coexist with religion.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

The point of us still living in this torn world is so that we can learn to find peace while the chaos happens around us. If we can have peace in Christ today, then imagine how much more peaceful it can be in the kingdom of heaven.

It is a challenge, but if we Abide in Christ, we can share His peace, joy, and love. Do not let the world discourage you.

Greater is He who is in you than the one who is in the world.
edit on 7-2-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

I guess the only way i can answer that is by saying Jesus said no man gets into heaven because of his good deeds
but by having faith in me.
If it was your good deeds that got you to the father then man would boast.

So with christians we dont think good deeds get you into heaven faith is jesus does.

But I think people who put faith in a higher power find happiness there so they
want to help people who are not happy simple as that.
But good deeds dont get you into heaven thats not a jewish or muslim or christian idea and no where
in all three books the torah the quaran or the bible does it say that.

Maybe you are hanging out with the wrong church people or you should ask yourself what is it about these people doing
good deeds that bothers you or maybe they have a peace on them that bothers you and a way to cloud that is
to say to yourself the only reason these people are doing good deeds is becuase they get a reward.
Maybe the reward is seeing the joy in someones face when you share something you have becuase they need it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

So to be blunt, if there were no God, no Heaven, or no Hell, I'd be a monster.

Well I'm glad you were honest about your selfish piety. Don't take that the wrong way as I'm glad in some ways it's helped you cope with life's craziness.

a reply to: ketsuko

If it does good by that standard, I ought to be headed in the right direction at the end of it all. Let heaven take care of itself.

Then why believe in an afterlife at that point? What purpose does your faith in Christ(presumably)serve if you would still act altruistically when the rewards in the after life and being judged on the good works you've done through out your life are inconsequential to your "day-to-day" function?
It seems illogical to believe in a deity to begin with in your case.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul

dont get in any cars then areyousirius369/gnosisisfaith

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

1. I do good because it is the right thing to do. (It feels right to do, or it feels wrong not to. This is empathy.)

2. I do good because I fear God. (I am scared of his wrath and the idea of being separated from him for eternity. This is fear.)

3. I do good because I want everlasting life with God. (I want to be with God. This is hope.)

Generally speaking, if 1 doesn't move me to act, then 2 does, and if not 2, then 3, and if not 3, then I do not do good because I either knowingly choose to behave selfishly, or I do not acknowledge that I am doing good or bad either way (because 1-3 didn't come to mind).

And now to answer your question...

For me, 1 occurs far more often, but if I weren't scared of God, and if I didn't care to be rewarded everlasting life with him, then I would probably be a lot more selfish and a lot less forgiving. I mean, can we really say that our hopes and fears aren't partially responsible for our empathy(1)? I don't think so - I don't think there is a true division. And really, how does fear even motivate us, if not for the hope of said fears not being realized?

Is hope distinguishable from want of reward?

I'm sure that 2 and 3 have aided in 1 occurring more often than the other two.
edit on 2/8/2016 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I didn't say that, if I did I don't remember. But you don't believe that other religions can bring people peace? There are many who could prove your disbelieving something true, peace is not solely a christian product.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I think you you have me confused with someone else. I don't know who those people you mentioned are, but seriously, you shouldn't be offended by someone refusing the offer of a ride, that's common sense, don't get in cars with strangers.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Christians who believe this are the type that tell you that atheists cannot have morals. After all, why would an atheist bother to help someone, if not for in fear of God's judgment upon death?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join