It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Occult Phenomena Could be Explained by the Existence of Universal Consciousness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Agreed that the existence of Universal Consciousness is neither new or accepted by all - And is disputed by many. The theory though is still vialble as no one knows for sure exactly what consciousness is - And there is no absolute definition of consciousness - Many books have been written on the subject and science still continues to learn what it means to be conscious from a Human viewpoint.

So I am listening to a late night talk show and the guest, a former police officer and author, gets on and gives his points on how he suddenly began to believe in 'past lives' supposedly because of a hypnotic regression' where he saw things that made him believe he lived before - He probably believes it, as do many who think they lived previous lives - a belief in reincarnation. And doesn't the religion of Scientology also have its followers believing this? - Most of the people who believe in this are not lying - And have often seen things verifiable from the past that make them believers.

Now what if consciousness is indeed universal? - And we are all plugged-in to this universal consciousness covering all of existence? - Would this not explain most of the occult phenomena such as reincarnation, ghosts, medioums ability to talk with the deceased, etc, etc. ? For if consciousness is universal then it is also quite likely timeless - And all events that transpired would be recorded by this consciousness. Books, videos, and mechanical methods record the events of the past - And a Universal Consciousness would also quite likely maintain a recored of all that happened in the past. A past life, in that case, that you perceive to be yours, is real - But to say it was 'your' past life may be to accept responsibility, and/or credit, for a recording of an event which was in fact not caused by the you of today.

And also if this Uiversal Consciousness exists - phenomena such as 'Remote Viewing' etc. could be explained by it. Even precognition, the ability to predict the future, would be related to this overriding super-consciousness that engulfs all that exists.

"No Man Is an Island"
- John Donne

"SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE"
edit on 7-2-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Or maybe

It's a case of mild possession where demons who have been in existence since time immemorial
possess a person under hypnosis, during occult events
Transfer their memory into a living person and create a false memory

Many books have been written about that

Just offering an alternate view, not an argument

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Yes, but "demons who have been in existence since time immemorial" would fit with 'Universal Consciousness" since Universal Consciousness would quite likely also to have existed since "time immemorial'. - Or at least they [demons] have been perceived by Man for most of his recorded history.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I don't really understand what you mean by universal consciousness

I think when a person dies so does their conscious. I can't understand how consciousness could exist outside of a mind, if it did why can't we access it

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

I think when a person dies so does their conscious. I can't understand how consciousness could exist outside of a mind, if it did why can't we access it

"Location of the mind remains a mystery"

Where does the mind reside? It’s a question that’s occupied the best brains for thousands of years. Now, a patient who is self-aware – despite lacking three regions of the brain thought to be essential for self-awareness – demonstrates that the mind remains as elusive as ever.

The finding suggests that mental functions might not be tied to fixed brain regions. Instead, the mind might be more like a virtual machine running on distributed computers, with brain resources allocated in a flexible manner, says David Rudrauf at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, who led the study of the patient.

See whole article here:
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Because you're not dead yet.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

A past life, in that case, that you perceive to be yours, is real - But to say it was 'your' past life may be to accept responsibility, and/or credit, for a recording of an event which was in fact not caused by the you of today.

Sounds like a fancy excuse for our bad behavior, not apologizing, nor changing.

Past memories are from people that lived in the past, sharing their memories with us here during dreams, near death experiences, visions, etc.

imo

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Ok, the dialog occurring between you and raggedyman regarding "universal consciousness" and "demons", humorously appears to me like comparing who's Pokemon card is better, and the obvious reasons for why this or that magic power beats the other.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

I agree.

AlienView has made several thread on this same topic. He has yet to acknowledge any of his responses that clearly and evidently go against his position, even when substantiated with evidence.

I'd suggest leaving now before you get in a circular debate with him on the obvious flaws within his concept, and the ridiculous claims he makes. Just a heads up for what's to come if you continue (pages of facepalming)

AlienView, your OP makes no sense, it's so vague and uses terms that make no sense. Consciousnesses is not universal to all things and the universe as of yet hasn't been shown to have a consciousness, nor does consciousness need to exist in order for the universe to exist.

Your concept is ridiculous. This has been explained to you many times before, and all the evidence we do have counters your position. Why do you continue?

I'll be awaiting the post where you say "Look! Carl Sagan said this, though!" and then you continue to quote mine him...

Here's to another long drawn, underproductive thread of yours...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
"Location of the mind remains a mystery"

Where does the mind reside? It’s a question that’s occupied the best brains for thousands of years. Now, a patient who is self-aware – despite lacking three regions of the brain thought to be essential for self-awareness – demonstrates that the mind remains as elusive as ever.

The finding suggests that mental functions might not be tied to fixed brain regions. Instead, the mind might be more like a virtual machine running on distributed computers, with brain resources allocated in a flexible manner, says David Rudrauf at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, who led the study of the patient.

This link, yet again, has nothing to do with your argument.

Not once does the article suggest that the mind is outside of the body somewhere, or in any way separate from the person.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

"Conscious" is an adjective, meaning it is a word used to describe things. That's as far as consciousness can ever go. Saying there is a universal consciousness is like saying there is a universal happines or sadness or goodness or uneasiness. Consciousness is a mere mistake of grammar.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

"Conscious" is an adjective, meaning it is a word used to describe things. That's as far as consciousness can ever go. Saying there is a universal consciousness is like saying there is a universal happines or sadness or goodness or uneasiness. Consciousness is a mere mistake of grammar.

There are actually known to be several universal emotions that are detected through facial expressions, that includes happiness and sadness BTW.
Don't take my word for it, Psychological research has pretty much proven this case.

24 Unverisal Emotions

edit on 7-2-2016 by NateTheAnimator because: Grammatical error

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

I think by universal he meant it pervades throughout the universe, something like gravity.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Gravity is the universal consciousness' way of oppressing us! (Repressing? Maybe just Pressing....?)

That statement makes about as much sense as the OP I think.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It seems to me that your point in this thread is the "what if". You ask for a suspension of the 'it isn't' mind set which is not an easy thing to do. I like to read your 'what ifs' because I know that you are not saying 'it is', only that 'it might'. So in this I like what you say as these things have occurred to me also.

And sure, we might only be building castles in the air, but what the heck. If we imprison ourselves in the 'it isn't' and it is all just a random concoction of neuronal firings that has brought us all to this state of believing that we are only conscious while in these physical bodies, then isn't that just a castle in the air itself, just a fabrication of a happenstance we pridefully call self awarness?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Carl Jung spoke about this when speaking in regards to UFOs and abductees, it was never substantiated.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If string theory is correct, we all are just vibrations on the same membrane which some call space-time. If our senses were powerful enough to resolve space-time, people in the past would not have used meditation to try pierce through the maya (illusion) created by the limitations of our senses.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here is an article from SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN that some may find relevant and interesting:

Is Consciousness Universal?
Panpsychism, the ancient doctrine that consciousness is universal,
offers some lessons in how to think about subjective experience today

......It was only later, at university, that I became acquainted with Buddhism and its emphasis on the universal nature of mind. Indeed, when I spent a week with His Holiness the Dalai Lama earlier in 2013 [see “The Brain of Buddha,” Consciousness Redux; Scientific American Mind, July/August 2013], I noted how often he talked about the need to reduce the suffering of “all living beings” and not just “all people.” My readings in philosophy brought me to panpsychism, the view that mind (psyche) is found everywhere (pan). Panpsychism is one of the oldest of all philosophical doctrines extant and was put forth by the ancient Greeks, in particular Thales of Miletus and Plato. Philosopher Baruch Spinoza and mathematician and universal genius Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, who laid down the intellectual foundations for the Age of Enlightenment, argued for panpsychism, as did philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer, father of American psychology William James, and Jesuit paleontologist Teilhard de Chardin. It declined in popularity with the rise of positivism in the 20th century.

As a natural scientist, I find a version of panpsychism modified for the 21st century to be the single most elegant and parsimonious explanation for the universe I find myself in. There are three broad reasons why panpsychism is appealing to the modern mind......

See whole article here:
www.scientificamerican.com...

“Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.”
― Voltaire

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Hooray! You actually managed to post a link that has something to do with your OP! It took you a few threads and many, upon many, upon many of completely irrelevant links that had nothing to do with your OP, but you managed to do it.

Now, if you could just read the link a bit more carefully, you'll notice that this one also doesn't actually provide evidence that supports your claim.

Here's a quote from that same article:

Yet, as traditionally conceived, panpsychism suffers from two major flaws. One is known as the problem of aggregates. Philosopher John Searle of the University of California, Berkeley, expressed it recently: “Consciousness cannot spread over the universe like a thin veneer of jam; there has to be a point where my consciousness ends and yours begins.” Indeed, if consciousness is everywhere, why should it not animate the iPhone, the Internet or the United States of America? Furthermore, panpsychism does not explain why a healthy brain is conscious, whereas the same brain, placed inside a blender and reduced to goo, would not be. That is, it does not explain how aggregates combine to produce specific conscious experience.

also

To be conscious, then, you need to be a single, integrated entity with a large repertoire of highly differentiated states. Even if the hard disk on my laptop exceeds in capacity my lifetime memories, none of its information is integrated. The family photos on my Mac are not linked to one another. The computer does not know that the boy in those pictures is my son as he matures from a toddler to an awkward teenager and then a graceful adult. To my computer, all information is equally meaningless, just a vast, random tapestry of 0s and 1s. Yet I derive meaning from these images because my memories are heavily cross-linked. And the more interconnected, the more meaningful they become.

His title "Is Consciousness Universal" is not the literal universe. He postulates that consciousness occurs at some level in complex systems.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
And another viewpoint from WAKING TIMES:

Universal Consciousness and Unlimited Potential

“Consciousness is a word worn smooth by a million tongues. Depending upon the figure of speech chosen it is a state of being, a substance, a process, a place, an epiphenomenon, an emergent aspect of matter, or the only true reality."
-George Miller

What is universal consciousness? Well, before we attempt to define it, we must acknowledge that any description of universal consciousness is merely a description of it, and is not actually it. As it is with defining a banana, we understand that the description is not an actual banana. The description is only a signpost pointing to the banana. Defining universal consciousness, like describing a banana, provides only an interpretation of how we perceive, feel, or know it through our personal experience. Similarly, an attempt to describe the science of banana or of universal consciousness, or the structural elements that give them both form and substance, still would not be banana or universal consciousness. Universal consciousness is the wisdom above and beyond the banana, the banana itself, and everything that is experienced in relation to the banana. Universal consciousness is also everything else that exists, has ever existed, and may ever exist.

Universal consciousness is the mechanism for everything and is—everything.

The essence of universal consciousness has been described as spirit, light, love, nature, torsion, and ether. It has also been described as us. In other words, we are universal consciousness. We don’t experience universal consciousness, rather, universal consciousness is, and it experiences itself through us.

Our individual perception of that which is universal consciousness can be a prism or a prison, depending upon our flexibility or resistance to flow.

So, what is universal consciousness, really? Perhaps it isn’t what we think it is. In fact, it may even exist apart from our thinking..............

See whole article here:
www.wakingtimes.com...

“Properly speaking, the unconscious is the real psychic; its inner nature is just as unknown to us as the reality of the external world, and it is just as imperfectly reported to us through the data of consciousness as is the external world through the indications of our sensory organs.”
― Sigmund Freud, The Interpretation of Dreams

edit on 7-2-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join