It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This years weather.. abnormal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Heres a topic for discussion that I dont see discussed here .. and I think it may warrant more research..

In Los Angelos, they've recieved over 2 feet of RAIN in the past few days. Thats 24 inches of rain in the past few days.

...Most cities dont see that much rain in a few weeks, or months.

Heres an image of the West Coast..

TWO FEET people.. thats huge.. whats causing this?

The rain is still pouring as of January 9th.. radar.wrh.noaa.gov...

All kinds of strange things are happening in the surrounding areas..

Parts of California are getting TONS of snow.. SNOW..

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Abnormal compared to what time period? The last 10 years? 100 years? 1000 years? Weather patterns that might look strange on a small scale of time might not be strange at all on a larger scale of time. California was overdue for some storms.

Storms occur everywhere from time to time. Even abnormal ones. Unless a supergiant stormcloud covers an entire continent, like North America, and refuses to depart, I'm not going to worry.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
...Parts of California are getting TONS of snow.. SNOW..

This is not unusual. The Sierra Nevada range is acustomed to a large
amount of snow every year. Snow packs up to 200 inches is not unheard of.

It also depends on your perspective. Most weather patterns are localized
compared to the global scale and cannot be taken as anything significant

Here in Montana the winter has been about normal for us so far. A little
drier then normal but nothing to write home about..

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I doubt this is much out of the ordinary.
I seem to remember huge mud slides in CA every now and then. Must have been lots of rain at those times, too.

Also, manmade made conditions such as concrete and buildings has compromised the land's natural ability to soak up moisture. And, wasn't a river in LA diverted at one time? It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature, she has a way of getting her way.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
OOOOPs--double post.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The 9.0 earthquake/Tsunami effect on may be responsible...!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
it is possible that all this could have a higher meteorological(is that a word?) meaning. tsunamis, floods in california, 4 ft of snow in california, sinkholes in florida, storms of # all across the US, hurricane like blizzards in northern europe and russia, earthquakes, steam pockets

but maybe it's all just a coincidence

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I live in Los Angeles area.

I have never seen it rain this much in my entire life.

never.

It has been freezing outside and very windy. I heard like a week ago a tornada almost came up in inglewood. INGLEWOOD. there's never been a tornado in inglewood.

Im seriously considering getting out of California. I been having this bad feeling for months, and it's getting stronger.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Every year, we always here that this was the worst winter ever or this much rain or lack thereof is abnormal. People, the climate changes. Has always changed and will always change. To attempt to preserve it is a fools lament. There have always been deluges and mudslides in California. The difference is as the rural parts are populated by people who don't understand why you should not build your house on the side of a cliff or at the base of a watershed and now we have media going out and getting footage.

Yes, after the drought they have been under for the last few years, this looks like a lot of rain..and it is. But to insinuate these sort of fluctuations are abnormal shows only a short sighted experience.

None of us can seem to accept that we live in a dynamic environment and to silence the feeling being out of control we have to tie everything to something we have done or can control.

Mankind has had no affect nor control upon Earth's climate no matter whos politcal agenda says so. If the sea level rises, we will have to adapt, if the Ice returns, we will have to adapt. There is nothing else we can do no matter how much we want to think there is.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I don't think we are getting a normal weather pattern........

I have a newspaper in my hand that says that 19 FEET of snow has dropped onto some parts of the Seirra Nevada region since Dec. 28....40 year resident Peter Wolenta says he's never seen anything like it. And, well, the meteorologists are saying it was the most snowfall the Reno-Nevada region has seen since 1916.

I don't know, but, our weather is odder than I've ever seen it also, although, I'm not complaining any.....in a day or two, the thermometer will rise up over 50 degrees again, what little snow we have will melt away, and we will have green grass again!!! Then within 24 hours I think it will drop like a rock down to the teens.....But, our poor snow shovel will not be put into action this time either (we've had to use it maybe once or twice this year.) I live just under lake ontario, our biggest snow producer usually is the lake and well, we get lots of snow.......normally.
I don't know, odd weather patterns for small areas of the world might be normal in every way, but this is different, everyone seems to be noticiing it regardless of where they are at.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
dawnstar, who is to say that 40 years or even 100 years is a long enough cycle for weather pattterns. Some weather patterns go on for 1000s of years. The earthquake/tsunami is a case in point. These disasters may happen only every few hundred years.

Check out this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We seem to think that the weather revolves around us, that we are unique or something. The earth is millions of yers old. It will be cycling and changing long after our children/s children have died. Assuming, or course, it is meant to go on that long. Nothing is certain in live, IMHO.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
the warming of the earth and the poles melt .we drill holes in the earth and blow up mines that might cause earthquakes.in a few days a huge ice burg is gonna hit another up north there.dont know what kind of damage it will cause. flooding around the world in coastal areas seems to be happening. weather is very severe in many parts right now.the planet is been shaped by this earthquake we are still feeling the effects.nobody really wants to face this idea but its something we will have to live with in the furture.the next 50 years are going to have very severe weather.we have 30 years data on weather trends and computers crunching numbers by the hour.like i said in a few posts dont live near low lying areas and stay away from fault lines.move to safe areas where you might be able to handle severe weather.i have because i believe the weather is our greatest threat not politics.flukemol.......

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
yes, I'll agree, the earth has her own cycles that she continues on throughout the ages....still doesn't change the fact that at the present time, we seem to be in a violent and destructive cycle for many areas...
Occasionally, the earth seems to take a fancy of covering much of herself in a nice deep layer of ice and snow....and well, I life in an area that was carved out by the last layer of ice and snow she decided to cover herself with. If enough scientist were to find the recent weather patterns alarming enough to put on thier thinking caps and well, they came to the conclusion that she was about to cover herself again, and the government actually listened and acted on the knowledge, just how many lives do you think would be saved in the northern states and canada?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
world wide governments dont tell something wrong until one week after the event has happened.this is bad in some events like flooding and smaller asteroid hits.to think our personal safety is held at bay because of fear.i call it the one week rule.they use it everytime.they react a week after the event or wait until the threat has played it self out.then they come around with help.to me we could save more people by not just standing around and having slow response times.flukemol.......

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Yes, after the drought they have been under for the last few years, this looks like a lot of rain..and it is. But to insinuate these sort of fluctuations are abnormal shows only a short sighted experience.

Exactly!

If people would pay attention, they would find out that the weather usually tends to balance itself out. This is especially evident from the Rockies west. Years of drought are usually followed by extremely wet weather....then drought again.

As a (soon to be) meteorologist, I find these doom and gloom posts hilarious

"It's the worse ever!"
"Global warming!!"

lol
Do people really think this is new? Take for example the Sierra snow. They haven't seen that much since 1916.
What does that mean?
That means in 1916 they went through the same thing!! This is not new people.

If you don't like how the weather is now...you don't have to move. You just have to wait.

(And you won't have to wait long either. Begining this weekend, the weather around the country will start to turn to what you "normally" see)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
ThatsJusstWeird,
as a (soon to be) meterologist, can I pick your brain?
These wild weather fluctuations are said to be brought about during either a positive of negative NAO. The last two winters in Michigan have seen more wild fluctuations than "normal". For example, it will be 50 on Thursday early, then dropping to 10.

What is your take on this? How about the fact that both the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico and Pacific seem to be sending warm, wet air that affects the entire country? Versus only warm/wet air from one coast or the other?
Also, el nino/la nina were blamed for weather a few years back, now you harldy hear them mentioned?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Isn't this an El Nino year???

I thought I heard something like it being one, it would explain the bad weather on the west coast, I think the last El Nino brought similar conditions to the west.

As for South Florida, all seems pretty normal here, mild temps, a few cold days, but nothing out of the ordinary. Now if it starts snowing in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, then I'll really begin to worry about pole shifts.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
ThatsJusstWeird,
as a (soon to be) meterologist, can I pick your brain?
These wild weather fluctuations are said to be brought about during either a positive of negative NAO. The last two winters in Michigan have seen more wild fluctuations than "normal". For example, it will be 50 on Thursday early, then dropping to 10.

What is your take on this? How about the fact that both the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico and Pacific seem to be sending warm, wet air that affects the entire country? Versus only warm/wet air from one coast or the other?
Also, el nino/la nina were blamed for weather a few years back, now you harldy hear them mentioned?

It's going to be close to 70 here (in MD) on Thurs. but only in the 20s over the weekend. While it's a huge shock to the system, it's hardly uncommon. Just about everywhere in the US that happens (more than once) during the winter months. Not always that huge of a change though.

As far as NAOs, I know the past couple winters have been negative. This year may be a transition year to a positive (or is a positive).

As far as the seas sending in warm wet air, that's due to how the Jetstream is (or was). The best pic I can find was from accuweather.

It's starting to change, but when it is that far north and basically zonal, it allows for air and moisture from mainly the Pacific and Gulf to have their way. It is starting to dip though, and the overall pattern looks to be turning back to normal starting pretty soon.

The reason why El Nino and La Nina haven't been mentioned much is because they've been absent the past couple of years. There is a weak El Nino this year though.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
T

Wild temperature changes are the norm here in Montana. A few years back
it went from -10 degrees to about 50 degrees in a matter of hours. I think
the world record was in Rapid City South Dakota. It has ato do here with
sinking and rising air on the east slope of the Rocky Mountains. Here locally
they call them chinooks where we can go from below zero temps to
practically balmy conditions at the drop of a hat.

Also, we are supposed to get to 30 below zero here for the next 2 or 3 days.
Guess I will have to wear a hat!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I believe that the current weather conditions are not far enough from the norm to merit concern. Variance is the standard from the very limited perspective which we have recorded. That being said, it seems weird to be at 6700 feet in the Rockies in January with rain pouring down for days at a time. It hasn't dropped below freezing in days.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join