It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about supply, demand, and billionaires.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yeah the government hurts small businesses with too high of taxes and helps bug businesses in multiple ways including corporate subsidies.

I believe business taxes should be something like 25 percent... Firm. No loop holes, no favors, no write offs.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I believe business taxes should be something like 25 percent... Firm. No loop holes, no favors, no write offs. [/quote[

I wholeheartedly agree! Flat tax all the way!!!

I first heard of the flat tax when Steve Forbes was running for prez in '96 (if I remember right); he ran on a flat tax platform, and we voted for him in the primaries. Unfortunately, our state was the only state he won. But since then, I've become an ever bigger fan of the flat tax. The current tax system accomplishes only two things: 1 -- Gives some companies (corporations) an unfair advantage over smaller companies, and 2 -- Keeps the people fighting over who should pay more.

Divide-and-conquer.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

The Waltons have very little, if anything, to do with you buying Cheetos at Walmart. Their responsibility is Walmart. The choice was yours to give them your money. Probably thousands of people go into making one Cheeto.

Milton Friedman describes this quite well:

You're right to say consumers have the power, given that it is their money that is making people ultra-rich. Sadly, it would take a moral revolution to get people to stop going to Walmart, with its convenience and low pricing.

I run a small design firm, and to keep my clients happy, when they could just as easily work with a firm from India at a fraction of the time and price, we deliver quality and personalized service, including them and their input at every step in the process. With this we can maintain premium prices and satisfied and returning clients at the same time. It is true, however, that convenience trumps quality.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

People go where they can afford. People at the bottom have no buying power and limited choices that are still livable.

Why do people insist we all have some kind of power we don't have, we are held at the economic mercy of these monsters because our buying power has been reduced to Jack and #.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Because the consumers demand convenience and low pricing, and they are supplying it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

We're not demanding it, we live WEEK TO WEEK, we spend every cent we have just to live because that's all we can afford.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

If you think you are more valuable, go out and make what you're worth.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

That's not how the world works. I as an individual can't force someone to pay me a cent.

For people to have buying power the jobs at the bottom need to pay more period. Keeping up with inflation is necessary or our economy will crash and burn.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

That's false. Jobs at the bottom are jobs at the bottom for a reason.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Most of the working world are required to work at the bottom, it's where the work simply is. How can you expect buying power to come from the jobs at the bottom, if they don't pay enough to have any buying power? Where is this consumer buying power supposed to come from, most of the working world does not get paid it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
That's not how the world works.

Yeah, that is how it works. I start a new job tomorrow since my previous employer did not want to match the 30% increase I will be getting at the new position.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

If you don't advance yourself and your situation, yes, you're going to remain at the bottom. Why pay people more to do nothing to advance and better themselves?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

There's no where for most of the world to advance too, most jobs that exist are defined as the bottom, and every day more and more jobs are redefined as the bottom.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
_
__
______
___________________________________ Bottom where most of the world is employed, telling people they need to advance themselves to something that has an opening of like one per every 30 people if that is a ridiculous demand.

No matter what most of the world will be employed at the bottom, demanding most of the world suffer because they do the work at the bottom which is most of the worlds work in the first place is sick.
edit on 2/7/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

There are plenty of things one can do to better himself and his situation. It takes effort. It takes planning. It takes risk. One might have to move. One might have to save. One might have to sacrifice. No it is not easy, but neither is it impossible.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
Those who create the supply, can also demand. Again, this isn't some corporation, it's not some billionaire, it's not some name brand. We, as the ones with the money, and we being the ones who do the producing, have infinitely more power than any company could ever hope to have. We are under an illusion that we do not have this power, we are under an illusion drawn by elites and the rich to believe that we are not the ones in power. That we have no control, that we must barely make it by and make sure to make every dollar go further by shopping at walmart... The truth doesn't matter when it's not seen. Ignorance, complacence, denial, apathy, acceptance, there's a lot of reasons that people as a whole do not know their own power...

Think what would happen if everyone decided not to buy an Apple Phone or a Nike shoe...hehe

I think we have seen this with the evil Walmart where they are now raising wages since it might be hitting their bottom line of being a bad company to work for and people stop shopping there.

A couple of questions though.

1. How does the consumer get money in their hands to be consumers?
2. Can a consumer create their own supply?
3. If I open a store that I spent a lot of money to create though I do not actually create anything in the store other than Jobs what is that?

edit on 7-2-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
_
__
______
___________________________________ Bottom where most of the world is employed, telling people they need to advance themselves to something that has an opening of like one per every 30 people if that is a ridiculous demand.

No matter what most of the world will be employed at the bottom, demanding most of the world suffer because they do the work at the bottom which is most of the worlds work in the first place is sick.

We are reaching a point where there are too many people for the jobs at hand, sorry to say, and that means more and more people will be on Government subsistence. The responsible direction would be to reduce population growth over the next 100 years, so we will see how that goes. It sucks that you need to be better than 60% of everyone else is get a good job but that is where we are at. Employers can pick and choose the cream (from around the world) since they have a good number to pick from.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It's impossible for someone, cause there's always going to be most people at the bottom. The harder more people work, the more demanding improving becomes, because more positions don't magically appear for them.

All you end up with is more people working harder to still be at the bottom the more people try harder. Is why at many jobs a lot don't push themselves.

An example, Billy is having a great day, his health is in top form he just got engaged, and he goes to work happy and excited, so he pushes himself with all his newfound energy. As a result his production is top notch, it's huge. He doesn't get a thanks for work well done, instead they look at his production, decide well if he can do that today, then he can do that everyday. So they raise his expected rates. This happens everywhere. People are being trained to be mediocre because the harder people work, the more demands are raised and as a result the more people are punished for it.

The same is true with your work harder, move scenario, expectations are getting ridiculous because, only so many people can get promoted period, and every time someone goes the extra mile it becomes that much harder for the next guy, because expectations increase. Is why every job requires expensive degrees and crazy work experience these days, because there's more workers than work, and employers can keep increasing their expectations, while most people are stuck at the bottom no matter how many or how few push themselves this will always be the case.

This is why people are getting defeatist, we live in a culture where working hard is punished, and the more we try the more we get kicked.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
There are plenty of things one can do to better himself and his situation. It takes effort. It takes planning. It takes risk. One might have to move. One might have to save. One might have to sacrifice. No it is not easy, but neither is it impossible.

I think a big part of the problem is people are unwilling to move. When I retired from the military people asked me where was I going to live and I said where the job takes me, and many times they would give me a weird look. I moved 2000 miles away got into a growth industry and doing well. I have friends that retire and ended up stocking shelves at home depot for the last 5 years unwilling to move and just waiting for the big job to drop for them that never materialized.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, that is how it works. I start a new job tomorrow since my previous employer did not want to match the 30% increase I will be getting at the new position.

It all depends on the job. The company I work for just went to 4/9 work week so that every other Friday it shuts down for a 3 day week end. They did this and other things to help prevent the loss of talent that is hard to replace. If a person is in a job that is easy to replace then I would bet they get crapped on. I will interview 25 people to hire maybe one that will spend 6 months to get fully up to speed, so the jobs I'm filling are not easy to replace and pay well.

edit on 7-2-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join