It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Debate Discussion; Come One And All...

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I wish he would have lowered the property taxes, that is the number one reason people are leaving the state in droves. They are obscenely high.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You guys are in the top 15, but you got a long way to go to catch us here in New Jersey.

We're number one! We're number one! Thanks Obama!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, well - you live where homes cost 3x as much -
you should see my house. It ain't much, and we can barely keep up with its care as we try to scrimp and save enough to survive in emergency situations and/or retirement.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Yeah, well - you live where homes cost 3x as much -

Which makes the average rate of 1.89% that much more intolerable. My rate is actually even higher than that.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My property taxes are dirt cheap compared to you guys! I wonder why your states property taxes are so high? What do you all spend state money on I wonder? That might be the difference, your states spends more on things.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kitana

No....the states in question cut corporate tax rates and income taxes and have to make up for it somehow.
I could be wrong - but even with higher property taxes, the state is threatening to cut school funding EVEN MORE......
teachers are fleeing here.

Kansas's Failed Experiment

The state's budget problems didn't go away after Governor Sam Brownback's reelection—they got worse. Will the lesson of tax-cuts-gone-awry give Republican candidates pause in 2016?

the humbling in the heartland goes on, much to the frustration of a Republican governor and one-time presidential contender who hoped to make Kansas the national emblem of conservative governance.

Brownback's hard-fought victory on election day won him another four years, but it did nothing to fix the problem that nearly cost him his job: the state's finances. Kansas's budget has for months resembled a wallet with a hole in it—every time the state's bookkeepers peek inside, they find less money than the government thought would be there.

Just a few days after the November election, the Kansas budget office revealed that revenue projections were off by more than $200 million, bringing the budget gap facing Brownback to $600 million in all.

From The Atlantic magazine, last November.
His 'system' doesn't work.
Period.

edit on 2/7/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana
I wonder why your states property taxes are so high? What do you all spend state money on I wonder? That might be the difference, your states spends more on things.

Property taxes are mostly local/county. The vast majority of mine goes to our fabulous West Orange public school system and its bloated $125,000,000+ budget as well as a sizeable chunk to other districts in wondrous Essex County.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yeah I read something about that a while back. You guys are in bad shape out there. Here the schools are fairly good, but they put too many kids in one school. I would rather see more schools with less students, but they have decided to shut schools down and put more and more kids in each one. Schools are huge and they bus a long way. In the long run it probably works because they pay less teachers a salary that way, so they have the funds for education so I guess I can't complain.

When I was in school I rode the bus two hours to get to school and two hours home. Its a pain.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Sam Brownback's Kansas Disaster is Getting Even Worse

Politics is all too often couched in terms of morality and ethics, rather than simple right and wrong. What I mean by that is that reasonable people can come to different moral value judgments about ethical dilemmas:

is it more moral to ensure that everyone has access to a social safety net even if some people game the system, or is it more moral to ensure that people keep all their private property and never have to give it up to someone less hardworking than themselves?

All this as Brownback’s tax cuts are destroying what remains of the state’s educational system and social services.

Brownback and his allies suffer under the delusion that supply-side economics really works, and that if they cut taxes enough on rich people and businesses that there will be an explosion of jobs and economic growth. That’s not just immoral because it increases inequality and hurts the poor. It’s as wrong as 2+2=5.

In all but the most extreme cases, cutting taxes on the rich does nothing to create jobs, but slashing the salaries of teachers and cutting welfare benefits means less consumer demand, which in turns drives the economy into recession.

The immorality would at least be somewhat tolerable if the ideology functioned at a broad utilitarian level, but it doesn’t.

Conservative policies are both a moral and practical disaster.

edit on 2/7/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: formatting for emphasis

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Here I will disagree with you somewhat. You have to be smart about cutting taxes, but it can work and has been proven to do so.

Right now in America, we are loosing all these companies to countries overseas, because our taxes are too high. Why would a company pay 5 times as much in taxes to have their base here? This is why you see so many corporate inversions - companies going overseas.

We have just lost another, due to high taxes Pfizer is going to Ireland now. We are loosing jobs all over the place, to Mexico, to all these other countries because it is cheaper for them to ship into the states than keep their manufacturing here and ship out.

Those are the kind of taxes we need to cut, if we cut their taxes and make our actual taxes cheaper than other countries, it would be exactly what they would need to come back. This is one of the things I like most about Trumps plan. Bernie is talking about making taxes even higher, and if so we will see even more companies leave. They simply cannot afford to have their manufacturing here when they can manufacture so much cheaper in other countries.

This nation cannot afford to loose these jobs, we simply cant. We have to have good jobs, eating off each other wont last because somewhere, there has to be someone producing something to keep the service based industries afloat.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Bernie is talking about making taxes even higher, and if so we will see even more companies leave. They simply cannot afford to have their manufacturing here when they can manufacture so much cheaper in other countries.

Bernie is also (and loudly) talking about eliminating the 'tax-haven off-shoring of wealth.'

Those companies need to pay their taxes. No more Cayman Island hoarding......they need to be held accountable. They need to pay the taxes they owe.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

they will simply leave, completely. They cannot afford those kinds of taxes here. Not when they can simply take their business to the global market and tell us to ### off.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

But that's what Bernie is talking about.

They are doing that (off-shoring because employees are cheaper) AND not paying taxes on their profits (because they don't have to if they stash their cash in foreign countries).
Many of them are relying on the US taxpayers to pull up the slack for US employees, who aren't being paid enough to survive without welfare.

Walmart, McDonald's, etc....
don't pay a living wage to their American employees, and you and I are pulling up the slack while they off-shore their trillions of profits and don't contribute back to our own economy. It doesn't work.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

If you raise the minimum wage, and I am very serious on this, everyone else's wages will go up. It happens every single time that the minimum is raised. You cannot have a low level manager making the same as the worker, and you cannot have the manager making the same as his subordinate, people don't tolerate that. Therefore, to keep everyone happy, you end up having to raise everyone's wages commiserate.

Now, the taxes these companies pay right now, not wages but taxes, are far higher than any other country. You take that and have higher wages also, and the companies simply cannot have their businesses here.

Now, if you taxes are lower than any other country, and a little higher a wage doesn't change the comparative savings, (as in, there will still be a savings) then it will pay for companies to come back. But to raise both taxes and wages, which right now are very high, you cannot compete for manufacturing at all.

Sanders' plan sounds great to the ear, but in practice it will cost us all dearly, because with higher taxes and higher wages across the board, prices must then also go up to pay for it all. It simply wont work.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The whole thing about Brownback is just a typical smear campaign instigated by sour grapes corrupt people who have probably seen their kickbacks and bribes dwindle in traditionally Democrat areas.

Unless somebody can actually show detailed numbers and facts, I say it's a well financed BS campaign.

Brownback says his tax policy is working in Kansas: ‘We’re going to be in good shape’

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The whole thing about Brownback is just a typical smear campaign instigated by sour grapes corrupt people who have probably seen their kickbacks and bribes dwindle in traditionally Democrat areas.

Unless somebody can actually show detailed numbers and facts, I say it's a well financed BS campaign.

No, dude.

I live here.
I live it. In real life. Jobs lost, school funding cut, big fat budget deficit, higher food taxes and property taxes. It Does Not Work.

Lessons for Other States from Kansas' Massive Tax Cuts

I could c/p most of the article's section headers - but, you know how to read and navigate websites.

The numbers are right there, in that article. I'm not supposed to post entire articles. You will need to read the article yourself if you are truly interested. Sources are included at the end for further info.

It is not a "smear campaign" - it is reality - and if you'd like to live it out just to see for yourself, I'd gladly swap houses. Las Vegas & Chicago, right?
Let's do it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana

they will simply leave, completely. They cannot afford those kinds of taxes here. Not when they can simply take their business to the global market and tell us to ### off.

Yup.

Dozens of Businesses Move HQs Outside America Under Obama

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Then you should be able to provide the real balance sheets along with just WHO is supposedly be underfunded.

? Where else would you being getting the info that draws you to wild conclusions ?

edit on Feb-07-2016 by xuenchen because: sorosism will reign

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I just posted you an article with numbers, figures, sources, etc.
Read it, or don't.
Up to you. But you won't beat me down on this.

It is happening.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join