It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I stream content from my PC to a Chromecast without using Chrome?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I usually don't ask, but I'm either not "getting it" or have become confused.

I would like to stream from my PC to Google's Chromecast device plugged into the back of my AVR without using Google's Chrome browser. I'll even take a portable version of Chrome if anybody has a download link. It has to absolutely not pollute my PC with data though.

Is it even possible? I use Pale Moon which accepts most Firefox add-ons.

Windows 8, 64 bit, Chromecast V2

Please help me. There must be a work-around, unofficial app or add-on.

Make it so!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Me thinks not, since it is chrome, nevertheless see if this helps eis.

www.howtogeek.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I tried Chromecast, friggin hated it, so I just went with the Amazon Firestick. I get everything I want and nothing I don't.
Hope some of our more tech savvy members can help.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I went with ROKU.. Amazon Prime delivers more free movies than I can watch in my lifetime and a digital antenna ran up the side of my house gives me a hundred clear crisp channels !!!

I wish more people would tell cable/sattilite companies to # off

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not sure if its the same thing, but check out VLC player, I know it can stream.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

It works great when you have good bandwidth. Google is invasive yet strives to be minimalistic and efficient. Its a love/hate relationship for me. I found the Chromecast to work great for "subjective" movie streaming links while using the Chrome browser. Its just that I don't want it on my system, period.

Even further, I really like the Chrome Dev. browser app on Android which handles the Chromecast extension quite effectively. Is there any equivalent on the PC, such as a Chrome Dev. browser?

I simply hate anything that solidifies itself into your operating system. The developer browsers seem to cater to what people cant find in the commercial version. I actually recommend the Chrome Dev. app for Android, rooted of course.

edit on 6-2-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

There are developer tools in the Chrome "tool box", but I never really mess with it. Someone with a bit more knowledge could probably tell you about it's capabilities and how far you can customize it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

I went with ROKU.. Amazon Prime delivers more free movies than I can watch in my lifetime and a digital antenna ran up the side of my house gives me a hundred clear crisp channels !!!

I wish more people would tell cable/sattilite companies to # off

ROKU is fine if you have fast internet. My internet is slower than molasses and the only things I can watch on ROKU are things that are 480p or less. A lot of the content is in 720p and trying to stream that over a 2MB connection is hopeless. I have no idea why this device has no way to choose the resolution you want to stream.

edit on 7-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I wanted to offer a slight workaround if you're unwilling to install the beast that is Chrome into your OS. I woke up to a PM from SlowNail that was quite helpful, so thanks for that! I had forgotten about Google's open-source variation of Chrome called Chromium. Sure enough, I was able to find a portable version.

(at least they claim that it leaves behind nothing after closing)

Here's the page: Link

The direct link: Link

I like how they offer different variations from different builders, they very essence of open-source.

Make sure that you unzip/install the files into a new folder, either on your desktop for easy managing or the programs final portable location such as a second hard drive/thumb drive.

The Google Cast extension works great like it did in it's bloated evil twin. Chrome is not a bad browser, it just has to eat part of your soul to operate.

I'm still looking for standalone software that will "cast" without needing a browser or a working Firefox extension/add-on compatible with Google's Chromecast. Until I figure it out this will have to do. At least when I run this browser, everything remains contained to one folder and doesn't pollute my OS with junk after I close it.

Thanks again ATS (and SlowNail).

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Yes. Any browser...long as what site you are watching with liitle stream to TV is there like on YouTube and others. I do all the time

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Yes. Any browser...long as what site you are watching with little stream to TV is there like on YouTube and others. I do all the time

What browser do you use? I was under the impression that you needed Chrome and the Google Cast extension. I use Pale Moon 64 portable and won't give it up for anything. Maybe Waterfox, as long as the add-ons and extensions are compatible. I need a few custom add-ons for Pale Moon already. Is there a "Cast" extension for Firefox?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

My end doesn't matter..Internet Explore even. Got a YT shortcut on desktop...click it...it just will by basic default and me not opening chrome...just open Yet and the chromecast tv is there...click it, it goes no issues.

I think once you install the ccast folder, it just does work. I seem to recall it saying anything with that little streaming icon can be sent to tv. Any browser.

Maybe someone else can explain.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Oh for sure you can do that I was rockin a 1st gen streaming video from my seedbox out in a datacenter in Canada straight to the big screen in my living room a while back.

It got a bit redundant my speeds are too wicked locally and no worries about ISP letters private communities and all.

So yea, you can. Plenty of apps out there, just go mess with it. Chromecast is just a DLNA 2.0 device get yourself a UPNP app to push it all to the chromecast. I don't know maybe they locked the device down some in the last year but I doubt it.

top topics

join