It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser attacks on pilots growing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Maybe this could be useful in the meantime

Revision Introduces New LazrBloc GF-8 Laser Protective Ballistic Lens

Revision Military, a world leader in protective eyewear solutions, has developed and patented a laser dye for a dual-band laser protective lens that blocks 99.9% of green laser energy and over 99% of the most powerful Near-Infrared (NIR) component of commercially available green lasers.

Doesn't look like it will work with the blue ones

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

From what I've seen the blue ones are pretty rare at this point. It would work as an interim solution though, as you said, which they need.
edit on 2/18/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You all have talked around this, but what about a reflective mylar coating? Couldn't that defeat a directional laser? NASA apparently uses a lot of gold foil, but couldn't highly reflective mylar (aka cheap) work to mitigate some of the problem?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

It would have to be thin enough to see through. The coolest, and probably most expensive and impractical solution I've seen is a virtual cockpit.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: FlyingFox

Only because there are two pilots on board. Pilots have suffered permanent injury and been forced into retirement because of this. But I guess it's OK since there haven't been any accidents.

Well then I wonder who the article is directed at, if the general public is unaffected.

A polarising film is a pretty easy countermeasure.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 18-2-2016 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
An F-15E landing at RAF Lakenheath was hit by a laser on final approach yesterday. Neither crew member was hit directly but the reflection off the canopy disoriented both pilots as they were landing.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Ive seen this happen to a flight I was on once. From queens near the shore near JFK.

I actually met one of these jerks once while making a delivery to a night club of some booze. The little jerk did it right in front of me, targeting a passing plane and would have kept doing it if his cigarette was longer.

Its like a game to them. They joked about the plane crashing and having to run like hell laughing.

It really is a concern that we arent ready to deal with in a meaningful measure.
edit on 3 4 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join