It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Laser attacks on pilots growing

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:09 PM
a reply to: Skid Mark

Indeed it is similar in every way to an act of terrorism. What if a plane crashed,all those innocent lives lost because of some idiot-or purposeful act of malice? You are putting at risk the life of a plane full of people,if it's a domestic flight,i would see it as high treason too.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:15 PM
a reply to: Zaphod58

I am thinking then that as long as you can get extremely accurate positional information about an airplane, a simple, computer controlled tracking mount could be used. That is a scary thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:17 PM
a reply to: Raxoxane

They should make a new law, if it doesn't already exist: Wilful endangerment of life on a mass scale.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:58 PM
a reply to: Jonjonj

In the UK its called wreckless endangerment. I'm not too sure what sentence it carries but you could make the charge stick.

Its probably something more serious though if you can prove it was intentional.

Positioning equipment might constitute proof but you have to find them first.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:28 PM

Just to add that there was another hit today.
Didn't get details but flight from Manchester to New York had to turn back.
Pilot needed medical treatment but not clear how bad.
Obviously landed OK but don't know any more.
Hope he's OK.

Not cool.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:46 PM
a reply to: Tulpa

Virgin 25. They're not saying anything but that one of the pilots was taken to the hospital, after suffering a hit directly to his eye. There have been 9,000 laser hits between 2009 and 2015 in the UK, with 48 in the first half of 2015 at Heathrow alone. A BA pilot suffered permanent eye damage in November from a laser hit.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:25 PM
New/more laws won't make any difference.
I predict the airlines will end up using new windows with filters or pull down filters for critical phases of flight.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:26 PM
a reply to: samkent

Several companies are working on new windscreens, but the problem is that they're at least a couple years from even doing serious tests with the new coatings. The number of incidents is skyrocketing in the meantime.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:36 PM

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Look at the bottom edge of the window, look how far ahead the closest land is, it must be tens of miles at least! Could a person on the ground see a plane at that distance?

I think the real cause is something else, though I have no idea what it could be.

That's what I was thinking. It'd be all but impossible to direct the beam through the window from the ground.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:39 PM
a reply to: SprocketUK

They're not. Almost all of them are occurring much lower. Any high altitude attacks are a case of someone shining a laser into the sky at an angle, and accidentally hitting the plane, as opposed to a deliberate attack, unless they had some kind of ADS-B tracker, and a scope to see the plane.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:35 AM
The problem with laser goggles is that you need a pair for every color of light. If you had goggles that block all the laser colors the public can get, you would be blocking out so much light that you may as well be blind! The colors would be blue, green, red (630nm-694nm) and IR (808nm-1064nm). It's a shame that people need to do this with highpower lasers since blindness is forever depending on the power, lasers are a fun hobby that may get banned. Though at this point, higher power lasers are in a lot of devices that can be taken apart so banning them might be a bit difficult.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:06 AM

Pilots demand laser ban after UK flight incident
LONDON: -- The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) is calling for tougher legislation to crackdown on the use of lasers after a laser beam forced a Virgin Atlantic flight bound for New York to return to London after dazzling the co-pilot.

The association says lasers can cause a temporary loss of vision.

“It is absolutely necessary that the government makes these lasers an offensive weapon, they are just the same as carrying a knife,” said BALPA spokesman, Captain Dave Smith. “BALPA’s biggest fear from these laser attacks is it’s going to happen right at the critical moment on landing, both pilots could be blinded and that aircraft could end up off the runway with injuries not only to the crew but the passengers and obviously that would be a very serious incident.”

I have been hit by a Laser on final into Houston George Bush International Airport.. It was a green Laser one time and a red laser another time. Both times the altitude was around 2000 MSL on approach to runway 26L or 27.. It was not a big deal for us.... I suppose because the lasers were not like they are today.. Also we knew better than to look at the darn beam.. We just figured it was some kid with daddy's laser pointer.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:25 PM
The A330 carrying the Pope was one of several hit by a laser as they were landing in Mexico on Friday.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:59 PM
2 words, Mirror Shades!

Honestly though, why not fashion a fold down visor 2 way mirror deal, reflect the light, laws aren't going to work in this case. Will slow them, but soon will turn from a harmless thing to something someone will use to down a aircraft, if they can.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:27 PM
Tens of thousands of incidents and no accidents? Wow it really is a danger.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:25 PM
a reply to: FlyingFox

Only because there are two pilots on board. Pilots have suffered permanent injury and been forced into retirement because of this. But I guess it's OK since there haven't been any accidents.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:39 PM
hey zaph,

probably already been asked, but can they make some sorta laminate or film for the cockpit windows to disperse light in the specific wavelengths the laser typically operate at. it would probably make the whole pane light up a solid color but it should be better than getting one in the eye(thinking of what happens when you aim a laser into a quartz crystal. the whole crystal lights up the color of the laser, but it makes it much less bright, hopefully enough at least to prevent the disabling Retina burn from a direct laser. )

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
a reply to: BASSPLYR

That's one of several solutions they're currently working on. They're trying to figure out a relatively inexpensive solution that's easy to fit and retrofit, while being effective against all types of lasers.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:07 PM

edit on 18-2-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:16 PM

Lets ban them. Then ban street lights torches etc.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>