It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser attacks on pilots growing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

There was one report of a laser hit at 30,000 feet. Two or three reports between 10,000 and 16,000 feet. Almost all the rest were low altitude. As for hitting the plane, who said it was deliberately targeted? At that altitude it could easily have been someone just shining the laser up into the sky, and the plane got in the way. There are ways that they could do it if they really wanted to though. Flight trackers, telescopes, etc could all be used together to find the aircraft.
edit on 2/6/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's depressing but predictable.

That's a lot of time and money to spend on windows.
There's been talk of banning certain types of these things in the UK but that's a bit weak considering the amount available.

Its as bad as taking pot-shots with a rifle and should be treated as such.

Really needs more attention. That's a very high number and surprising that nothing serious has happened yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

As for hitting the plane, who said it was deliberately targeted?
My mistake, but I'm sure I've read that these hits were supposedly deliberate.

I remember seeing lasers being shone from one of the towers in London, think it was to celebrate something, and I remember thinking at the time about planes being hit.

Some cars now boast laser light systems that are very bright, too bright for my liking, if they forget to dip their lights its impossible to see the road.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MaryaNoxx

You can get them quite easily in the UK and some are very powerful for their size.

Even if they ban them , there's enough out there already. Don't know how to stop this though. If its deliberate they'll only be stopped if caught in the act.

Stupid and dangerous.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

They are, but almost all of them are, again, during the takeoff and landing phase of the flight. Low, slow, and easy to hit.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Here is a new article from this year about a guy that aimed a green laser pointer at a WABC helicopter that was at about 1000 feet. He did it four times and was caught. Now facing 5 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

-dex

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

In 2014 a man in California was sentenced to 14 years in prison for hitting a police helicopter with a laser. Sentences have been handed down for around 2 years in multiple cases, and at one point the FBI was offering a $10,000 reward for information about people hitting planes with lasers.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Very dangerous. Oddly enough, some person from accross the street flashed me in broad daylight where I was grocery shopping the other day. It is indeed painful even three days later.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

I got caught with a quick flash on New Years Eve, driving in Utah. I had spots in one eye for several minutes. Fortunately it was really quick.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

At that altitude it could easily have been someone just shining the laser up into the sky, and the plane got in the way.

Not that many people have a laser out in the first place, let alone pointed at the sky. I would assume that 99% of the dazzlings are intentional.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I have a blue 1w laser that I bought cheap and was surprised at what it can do. Its definitely not a toy and only a total moron would shine them at aircraft.
I fly a lot as well and hope they find a way to catch these idiots.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Somebody needs to make eyeglasses that immediately burn to opaque at laser energies.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
They should be banned, it's not like there's a great public need for them anyway.

What with that, terrorist threats, near-collisions with drones...my flying days are over.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Almost all of them are. But hitting a plane at high altitude is a matter of luck, unless you put a lot of work into it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I was staying at a hotel in Miami a few years ago and got zapped by one while I was trying to park.Me and a few other guests reported it to reception and we managed to work out roughly were it was coming from.But you really don't want to be looking too hard to pinpoint the exact location just in case it does find one or both of your eyes.

So yes potentially a killer if in the wrong hands,and like any other potentially lethal weapons should never be available for anyone to buy over the counter.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

A very simple solution is to issue to all pilots 532nm filtering googles.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Almost all of them are. But hitting a plane at high altitude is a matter of luck, unless you put a lot of work into it.

Lasers are line of sight, no ballistics.

The air and whatever is in the air would refract the path of the light beam a little bit, but the point of intersection would be very close to line of sight.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

You have to know it's there and have a way too see where it is at altitude. It could be done deliberately, but it's a lot easier to do when they're low and slow. I'd be willing to bet that aircraft hit at altitude were hit by accident.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Speaking specifically about the one they think was tripod mounted, could they have used a tracking mount from a telescope that was somehow linked to a computer using aircraft tracking pages? Do those pages use some kind of gps positioning?

If that were the case that would show some serious intent I reckon.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

An app like FlightRadar24 will display the aircraft right on your phone screen, including altitude and airspeed. I'm not sure how much detail you can get on a computer as I don't use it online much. If you turn your camera on, the app will display aircraft a long way out.
edit on 2/7/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join