It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World's Most Expensive Car Ever just Sold at Auction for €32 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport Scaglietti has been sold in an auction at the Artcurial Cars auction at the Paris Retromobile show and fetched an eye watering €32 million , that's £24 million or if you prefer $35 million.

It is a very nice car but £24 million is a little out of my price range , wonder what the insurance quote would be on it

Given the choice between a ridiculously priced painting and a ridiculously priced car I think I would invest in the ridiculously priced car , at least you can sit in it and pretend to drive it.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's pretty but at that price I'd be afraid to drive it. I can't afford that price to start with anyway.

I've always considered cars to be tools and conveyance. I understand the aesthetic value of owning a nice car but if I can't jump in it and run to the store to get a gallon of milk it stops being a car to me and becomes a piece of art.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Beautiful historic bucket right there.
Crazier thing is....he could sell it right now, for 12-15 million more to a handful of individuals that weren't aloud to bid.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I'm glad there are people who will pay for the cream of the crop in all categories of classics/antiques, but for me, a drivable clone beats a reference rarity any day. Partially because of price range, and partially because I couldn't stand having, for example, a Gold-certified, numbers matching Mr. Norm Mopar restoration which I couldn't enjoy driving. I'd rather take a base model and dress it up to look, feel and perform like whatever I want. No need to lie, I tell anyone who asks or expresses interest exactly what they are. I can take pride in a restoration that costs $35k and provides the same look and feel of a $200k car, but with all the added enjoyment of taking it on a road trip, or just around town.

I don't begrudge the high end though. I love seeing a true original rarity in great condition. These are the people whose wallets help to preserve history.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nice car!

I wish I was the insurance agent for the owner of that beauty.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Beautiful machine early Ferraris IMO do nicely straddle the line between between machinery and art

it is a fine sculpture you can drive if you wish.
if i had that finance i would love to own a few cars like it not sure i would spend that much though!
still its all relative and im sure the lucky chap can afford it.
I just hope it makes appearances at shows so others can admire it and not just vanish into a private
garage and just treated as an asset like so many rare motors are.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Jeez, I just had to dig deep to replace a cam belt and the valves - change from a grand. It hurt! The new owner could afford 24000 of those repairs without breaking a sweat.

Still, it's a beautiful car and almost a shame they are never used as the engineers and designers intended. There must be tens of thousands of stunning cars with less than a thousand miles on the clock; all sitting in garages like butterflies in chrysalises. I guess it's better to have them preserved like that than to be gone altogether.

Like most men, cars are something I've always been in love with. I bet most members have had the Lambo or Ferrari posters in their rooms as kids. Countach for me even though it's obviously a ridiculously impractical car.

new topics

top topics

join