It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EasyJet to trial hydrogen hybrid system to conserve jet fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Cranford University has come up with a technology that EasyJet is going to test out to essentially take the regenerative braking system, somewhat like what a car uses, to store energy (in the form of hydrogen as I understand) to offset 4% of the fuel used by airliners to taxi on the ground, if the article is to be believed.

I have to wonder if its really worth it: 4%? Really? For the increased maintenance? Why not capture the energy of the exhaust (some at least) through the use of thermoelectric means instead? There's lots of waste heat and by the time an airliner reaches the next locale, there ought to be more energy stored than merely regen breaking could do...I mean, there's LOTS of wasted thermal energy in a jet engine and thermoelectrics don't have moving parts...

What do you folks think?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Four percent doesn't sound like much, but for a commercial airline that's massive. Airlines have been using single engine taxi for years trying to cut even 1-2%, and several companies have developed technology similar to cars, to use electric motors in the wheels to taxi without starting the engines, until they're almost at the end of the runway.

new topics

join