It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“systematic misogyny displayed by significant numbers of Muslim male local councillors”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

It's all here. Women wrote to Corbyn about men discriminating against women. Corbyn will waffle but he won't do nowt.

The claim is that for decades Labour have ignored Muslim women's rights because votes are more important.

I'm so surprised I'm going to bed.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

It's a Muslim women's group making the claims that misogyny is rife in Labour areas where there is a Muslim majority, no women represented, discouraged from becoming involved in politics, and discriminated against etc.
Even though a Muslim women's rights group are saying this, let's continue to delude ourselves that there is not a problem of women being downtrodden in the UK Muslim communities.
Nothing to see here, it's the fault of the Labour party, not the men in the Muslim community of course...move along please.
edit on 6.2.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Why is this a surprise? It's a well documented fact that Muslim women are second class and highly controlled within their communities.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It concerns me that these men are councillors! How have they managed to get their positions?
What other backwards, regressive and religiously based ideas have been involved in the decision making process of local government?
What does this tell us about Corbyn and the way he thinks he's running this shower of cretins.
These people need to be sacked Instantly.
They do not belong in those positions.
There isn' t any room left...just a giant elephant!

edit on 6-2-2016 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Why is this a surprise? It's a well documented fact that Muslim women are second class and highly controlled within their communities.

It takes a national group of Muslim women to make the claim before the bleeding hearts can accept it is the case.
I've been reading this story for a couple of days now and wanted to start a thread but couldn't be arsed with the thread management so didn't.

I'll be interested to see what the people who cry "Islamaphobe!!!" have to say now the accusations are being made by Muslim women?
This story is not a Labour party problem in itself, it is a Muslim men problem who have taken over the party in areas which are majority Muslim. They have created a male only local party and the women are rightly pissed off about it.

...but of course it is not a Muslim cultural problem, so please move along, nothing to see here [/sarcasm]

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
let me get this straight... Women who belong to a religion that openly oppress women are angry that they are being oppressed?

whats next? sue the white man?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
let me get this straight... Women who belong to a religion that openly oppress women are angry that they are being oppressed?

whats next? sue the white man?

Tut tut, the Islamic faith is in no way discriminatory or oppressive to women, didn't you get the memo?
It is just a coincidence that the only complaints by UK Muslim women being discriminated against in local government are against Muslim men. Just a coincidence remember.

Does that make these Muslim women Islamophobes now, or am I just being silly and facetious?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I guess I did miss the memo, as well as the gays that are tossed off roof tops. They were islamaphobes also.

I guess the next memo will be "never blame a muslim for acting like a muslim"...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

We should all be keeping an eye on our local council. I live in an area where they vote labour because its "tradition".
Our local labour leader is Muslim and has a reputation as dodgy as Delboy Trotter with dodgy dealings in local business.
He will be caught eventually when he gets too greedy.
I'm not too sure how much of an influence his religion has on his decision making on a local level, but I would trust him as much as a cornered rat.
It needs to be rooted out though. Keep your religion out of my life.
Religion is a choice and if you can't stop yourself from getting upset by our society you should think about finding another.
They are free to pack up and leave.
Find a country that suits your religion and leave.
Go on.
No ones stopping you.
Bye bye.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Lol only if you are a non-Muslim.
The fact that the people making the claims in the OP are Muslim women must be frustrating for the "Islamophobe!!!"" crowd lol, I wonder what their argument will be now?
It's very quiet here though, and the usual Muslim apologists seem to be shying away from this thread, I wonder why...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Jeez ! Well duh! All abrahamic religions are misogynistic!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Jeez ! Well duh! All abrahamic religions are misogynistic!

Strange how we haven't heard from any Women Christian groups claiming discrimination in UK politics though...nothing to see here, it's not a problem with Muslim men, move along please.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a little backstory is needed here.
the guardian newspaper, which normally supports labour absolutely hates jeremy corbyn, the current labour leader.
the upcoming elections in may should (in the media's theory) be so crushing to labour as to force corbyn out.
the few by-elections held since corbyn became leader showed labour actually gaining votes, totally against what the uk press is pushing.
labour, like the democrats poll very well with minorities, this story here is the guardian trying to get the vote they want.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

Do you think the Muslim Womens Network of the UK are lying then?
Are they shills of the media? Perhaps shills of the EDL?

...or maybe they are just Muslim women speaking out against oppression in UK politics by Muslim men?

See link here>> www.mwnuk.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

This is a good thing in some ways. This is maybe one of the few countries where muslim women are given the freedom to see they don't have to take it and can start standing up for themselves, it looks like they're beginning to and there's potential for it to internally reform islamic culture in the UK as a whole.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

This is a good thing in some ways. This is maybe one of the few countries where muslim women are given the freedom to see they don't have to take it and can start standing up for themselves, it looks like they're beginning to and there's potential for it to internally reform islamic culture in the UK as a whole.

Oh, this is definitely a good thing for exposing the wider issue that there is a problem with Muslim males in UK politics which is clearly not the case in non-Muslim areas, you know, non-Muslim political women are not asserting that there is discrimination as in the OP.

It is also a good thing that the Muslim Women's Network have raised it because the "Islamophobe!!!" crowd can say nothing...notice how quiet this thread is without the usual Muslim apologists? They haven't a clue how to respond when female Muslims make the claims.
Lol, if only it wasn't such a tragic and true situation of unique cultural problems in the Muslim community.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Thank you for clarifying.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Unlucky Kester, this thread will die because the people making the claims of systemic misogyny are Muslim women, and the apologists are struggling to think who they can call islamophobes now.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I hate religion with a passion but we are in a unique position in the UK and should really probably get behind Muslim women and give them all the support and empowerment possible.

Make the women into representatives of the faith and sideline the male influence.

We could start a trend

edit on 7-2-2016 by Tulpa because: Spilling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join