It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative to Gmail

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Let us know how it goes.

And thank you everyone else who chimed in recently!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
With Hotmail you spend more time answering security questions to get back into your account than you do sending and reading email.Garbage.

Agreed...

I have been locked out of my Hotmail account for a few years now because it is demanding my phone #.

Oddly enough, I can and still do access my Hotmail emails via the Thunderbird client.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

originally posted by: AdAstra

originally posted by: Esoterotica
People still use email?

That's weird.

Well, in my experience it does beat mail pigeons.

Then you haven't trained them properly, obviously.

Its probably important to note that anything that is sent through a common network backbone can be intercepted. Some encryption can help, but may also raise flags.

If a user is concerned about communicating with privacy and security, its probably best to avoid technology in general.

Enter the properly trained pigeon.. Called a "drone" in some places.

Ah but have you heard of the mighty mail cats of Belgium? Eh? : )
Oh they are real. Duck-duck them (or whatever you use).

More seriously, though, I am of the opinion that just because other options may not be perfect, one shouldn't stick to the LEAST "perfect" option.
Most of all, like I said, it's a matter of principle (not feeding Google any more than I have to).
Principles are very, very important to me.

edit on 6-2-2016 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

secure server denotes that it is housed within a secure data center with stringent access restrictions.

PGP was good until Phil Zimmerman sold it to Symantec which has altered the encryption to allow business as usual in the USA.

The Encryption algorithm is open source and published to allow any independent review of it's no back door policy. The system can only be as secure as the weakest link therefore if the proper system is not utilized, the system may be less secure however that is not a very good reason to use no encryption or purposefully broken encryption such as current day PGP. If you really want security then you had better plan to invest in some very expensive gear as well as very costly personnel to maintain said gear.

Still much better than ANY free webmail based service based in the USA.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Can somebody - preferably a moderator - explain to me (publicly, not in some personal message) - why is it that this thread cannot be seen among the "recent posts" on the main page?

I see it's been moved to "get computer help" - which, I gather, doesn't make it onto the main page.
But this is not about "getting computer help" - it is either about Technologhy or about MEDIA and EDUCATION, where is where I originally posted it.
Here it is effectively buried.
Is that what you wanted?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AdAstra

Maybe the part when you stated 'feel free to move it'

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Have you tried protonmail.com ? Very secure and free. a reply to: AdAstra

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I have security clearances, copyrighted works, music and literary....and I just don't worry or have ever had any issues.

I understand your wants but question your need.

I was just keeping my suggestion basic.

PS My clearances are FEMA, Homeland Security, State Police....and a few others...no issues. Good luck. I respect your needs
edit on 7-2-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
At this point it's going to take a lot more than for people to just stop using Gmail to break the stranglehold that Google has on the internet. They have their tentacles deeply embedded pretty much everywhere.

And what's more, a lot of their stuff is stuff that's hard not to like. Like Youtube. I have to admit I watch it all the time and can't really imagine what I'd do if it just disappeared one day.

I've tried other (supposedly) more private search engines but always end up going back to Google simply because the search results are horrible with many of them. It gives me no pleasure to just mindlessly use Google every day but what are you going to do when you need accurate results and other search engines are just not up to it?

As for email, I hardly ever use email for anything. 99.999% of everything I do online is public. The simple answer for you if you're worried about privacy is if you wouldn't want everyone you know to know what you're saying online, don't say it. For most people, the risk is not really that dire anyway. Although the principle thing is kind of frustrating. The fact that privacy is just plain gone and there's nothing you can do about it is disconcerting, to say the least.
edit on 7-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

gmail is just an email so any "alternative to gmail" is just asking other email services, do a google search for email services, theres millions...

enjoy that one german one you found...

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 9 2021 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yes, there is a million alternatives to gmail. Personally I go for gmx.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join