It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migrants in inflatable dinghy rescued from the Channel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

French coastguards have rescued four migrants who were found trying to cross the Channel in an inflatable dinghy.

. . . suffering from hypothermia . . .

. . . set off for the UK from Dunkirk.

The migrants were found about three miles from the French coast and rescued shortly after 06:00 GMT.

. . . the fifth man had abandoned the boat and swum back to shore, reaching Sangatte.

I wonder if this was a publicity stunt or a seriously misguided genuine attempt.

edit on 6 2 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 6 2 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Appreciation to the French for picking them up while they were still in it's waters.
Perhaps UK Border Force defending the tunnel and ferry ports on the French side is not enough to keep out those thousands of men 'fleeing oppression' while refusing to claim asylum in France?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It's probably genuine. The tight security around the Channel tunnel and the ferry ports makes it impossible to get across. So they probably tried to cross by boat. Some people have swam across as attempts to break world records.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Genuine attempt maybe but not genuine asylum seekers.
They are in a safe country (France) and choosing to attempt illegal entry to the UK without registering and claiming asylum in France first.
They know full well that the UK will return any illegal entrants if they have previously registered in France.
Anyone who denies that is either ill-informed, or deluded.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Didn't really sound like they had any chance of leaving French waters. Either they were hopelessly optimistic or it was just a stunt with the swimmer being needed to raise the alarm.

Some friends got becalmed in the channel for three days in a small catamaran. The skipper had spent the last of the money on wine instead of fuel for the outboard. Dangerous with all those ships.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

If so they've learnt from it.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

22 miles across the channel in winter, in an inflatable dinghy?! Muppets, you're right, dangerous waters.
No sympathy from me, they are in a safe EU country no longer fleeing oppression, #ing claim asylum there instead of choosing to live in a slum.
Ah, but no, if they register in France the UK will return them if/when they enter illegally, and they all know that.
Pity the bleeding hearts on ATS don't understand that.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Genuine attempt maybe but not genuine asylum seekers.
They are in a safe country (France) and choosing to attempt illegal entry to the UK without registering and claiming asylum in France first.

You hit the nail on the head. These are people who are devaluing genuine asylum seekers and creating cynicism and mistrust to those people in the UK who would like to support genuine asylum seekers.

These are simply migrants looking to live off the soft plump teats of England. They know that once in England they will have it all.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

So just to be clear... your basically advocating that the UK should be a bunch of freeloader's and just force western europe to deal with the refugee crisis?

A crisis which btw, the UK (being the number one Ally of the US) are largely responsible for.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

To be fair, the influx of Syrians are fleeing a civil war and the brutality by Assad and ISIS. There are also large numbers of migrants out of places where there is no conflict, or just dysfunctional governments and poverty. It's lazy and simplistic to blame all of the world's wrongs on the UK et al.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
People swim across the bloody thing. How hard can it be for a few to row it...Christ, I would have a got a few joiners together and constructed a plane and flew across by now. Camp Calais needs to up it's game.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

So just to be clear... your basically advocating that the UK should be a bunch of freeloader's and just force western europe to deal with the refugee crisis?

A crisis which btw, the UK (being the number one Ally of the US) are largely responsible for.

Nope, to be clear, I support the UK governments current policy on immigration, and the lawfully accepted EU regulations about claiming asylum at the first safe EU nation.
Give added emotional value to that if you wish but the UK is lawfully defending its border, and unless internationally agreed legislation is changed there is nothing your country or any other can do to force the UK to take immigrants. Unlucky for the rest of the EU that Merkel screwed up a few months ago, but the UK can escape the worst of her stupid mistake, legally and lawfully.

Ever noticed how quiet the Republic of Ireland is about all this as well? They thank their lucky stars that the UK is also effectively defending their border while defending its own. You won't see the Irish government calling on the UK to let those thousands of men in any time soon lol.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Hmm? Is that how you spell dinghy? I thought it was dingy? The extra "H" must be some kinda British thing or something?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Hmm? Is that how you spell dinghy? I thought it was dingy? The extra "H" must be some kinda British thing or something?

Correction, it is an English language thing, dingy means gloomy and drab etc.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

dinghy
ˈdɪŋɡi,ˈdɪŋi/
noun
a small boat for recreation or racing, especially an open boat with a mast and sails.
a small inflatable rubber boat.

From the bengali dingi.

As far as I can see the American spelling is the same.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
This was after an admitted too short period of a couple of months practising on rowing machines.

. . . the tide was against us now. The next few hours were pretty miserable, and we made very little progress towards France.
But little by little, in increments of fractions of a mile, we began to edge towards Calais.

By early afternoon we could see cars and people on the shore. We were so close to France. Huge ships passed us on all sides. But ocean rowing is a slow motion race against forces far greater than your feeble oar pulls, and progress was frustratingly slow.
www.alastairhumphreys.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Regardless of the spelling of dinghy, the issue of illegal immigrants entering Britain by sea is real.
I have heard numerous anecdotal stories of fishermen from the Dorset coast to Cornwall smuggling people in at night, and with the scant few police and border force officers in these parts it is certainly a weak point for the UK.

edit on 6.2.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

There are regular suspicious sightings on the North Devon coast. It makes me laugh when people say how quiet and rural it is.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Why would anyone land on the N.Devon coast from France?!
It's a long way around Cornwall and far more places on the South coast to easily slip into the country.
It's not new though, been smuggling going on here throughout history, just the 'goods' change. I witnessed a 'drop' many years ago when I was guarding a coastal attraction in the wee twee hours. I didn't tell anyone because it was outside the boundary of the place I was employed to guard...and frankly, I value my kneecaps lol

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

More likely disembarking from a ship or yacht offshore and coming in by dinghy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join