It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Vietnam officially confirms two children died from bird flu: Update: Vietnam reports 11th vict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Government officials in Vietnam have confirmed that two young boys did die of the bird flu. They further stated that another was also infected with the H5N1 virus. The 16 year old remains in critical condition in a Ho Chi Mihn City hospital. This brings the total of bird flu death in Vietnam since late 2003 to 22.

Update: 1/28/05 Vietnam reports 11th victim of bird flu, international experts meet

HANOI (AFP) - A 13-year-old girl has died from bird flu, becoming Vietnam's 11th victim of the disease in the past month, a doctor said, after worried Thai and UN experts met in the country for talks on the outbreak.
Bird Flu

story.news.yahoo.com
HANOI (AFP) - Vietnam officially confirmed that two young boys had died from bird flu as state media said two other people are suspected of contracting the virus.

"We assert that there have been three people infected with the H5N1 virus since December 16, of whom, two had died," the daily Lao Dong newspaper quoted Deputy Head of the ministry's legal department, Tran Duc Long as saying on Saturday.

On Thursday, the government said that only a 16-year-old girl from southern Tay Ninh province, who is in critical condition in Ho Chi Minh City, had been infected with the H5N1 strain of the bird flu virus.

The two boys, aged six and nine, were also from the south and died on December 30 and January 4.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

China is also taking steps to prevent the infection from crossing into its country. However, I am very suspicious of the communist government in China. For one, both the initial outbreak of bird flu as well as SARS occurred in regions of China that have been rumored to house biowarfare labs. Also given their initial cover-ups and the jailing of the doctor that alerted the world, something smells fishy.

[edit on 1/29/05 by FredT]

[edit on 29-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I am very suspicious of the communist government in China. For one, both the initial outbreak of bird flu as well as SARS occurred in regions of China that have been rumored to house biowarfare labs. Also given their initial cover-ups and the jailing of the doctor that alerted the world, something smells fishy.

What's fishy are recurring attempts to blame bird flu and SARS on bioterrorism. I predicted this gambit long ago - and it's pure spin. ...Epidemiologists, virologists and other scientists have been warning authorities for over 35 years that this was coming - no bioterrorism required.

FYI - the World Health Organization refuted the claim that bird flu originated in China, in January of 2004.

"WHO refutes claims that bird flu virus originated from China"
www.china.org.cn...
english.people.com.cn...
insidecostarica.com...

From Scientific American re SARS: "...scientists report that their findings support the idea that the SARS virus made the jump from animals to humans, probably multiple times."
www.sciam.com...

More to the evolutionary point - Bird flu and SARS are linked to a disease called fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD). FMD first appeared as a very rare disease in the early 1900’s, in humans in the USA. It was acknowledged officially in 1938 when Drs. Leadbetter and Burkland proved it could be transmitted congenitally and also, cause birth defects.
[Leadbetter WF: Hypertension in unilateral renal disease. J Urol 1938, 39:611-626.]

By 1980, Dr. L. M. Julian discovered FMD in domestic turkeys and in 1981, Drs. House and Benditt described FMD pathology in steelhead trout, both in the USA. By 1996, FMD had spread to quail Japan. In 1999, the University of Texas Medical Branch reported that a secondary effect of FMD called “angiomatosis” had spread to infect 100% of juvenile and adult Atlantic bottlenose dolphins since it was first recognized in 1992. FMD pathology is found in SARS and avian flu, and in new mutated forms of other diseases.

Since 1938, it has become clear that fibromuscular dysplasia not only uses infectious microbes as vehicles of transmission but also, as mechanisms to create new disease mutations. Radiation and other environmental contaminations were identified as significant factors that intensified disease progression as well as cellular, genetic and microbial mutation. The mutation process was recognized as a cycle involving the disease bouncing back and forth between people and animals, mainly via carrier microbes. The mutation cycle escalated dramatically between the 1970’s and 1990’s. By 2000, disease mutations that once took decades and generations to develop could appear in a single season.

The FMD epidemic and its related mutations were hidden from the public to protect international profits in insurance, the food and water industries, and other polluting industries. Now it's time to pay the piper.

So if you want truth - not spin or faith-based science - then look to the early 1900's in the USA to find the origins of SARS and avian flu.

REFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS re avian flu
1975 - related re: mechanics FMD-virus cooperation "...alpha-actinin may be involved in the organization of actin filament bundles, in the attachment of actin filaments to the plasma membrane, and in the assembly of actin filaments in areas of cell to cell contact." - PMID: 802682
1980 - domestic turkeys, USA - fibromuscular dysplasia, fibromuscular hyperplasia, and medial hyperplasia affects arterioles and small arteries, with adherent thrombus - says "Angiopathy appears to be basic to the pathogenesis of fibromuscular dysplasia and is characterized by endothelial hyperplasia, smooth-muscle vacuolization, and patchy necrosis of the media." - claims is first time disease found in animals - PMID: 7435545
1981 - FMD pathology in steelhead trout - Am J Pathol. 1981 Sep;104(3):250-7. The ultrastructure of spontaneous coronary arterial lesions in steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri). House EW, Benditt EP. PMID: 7294154
1986 - proteinaceous capsids using viruses as vehicles of transmission, RNA interference silences genes - Schmidt FR, Lemke PA, Esser K (1986) Viral influences on aflatoxin formation by Aspergillus flavus. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 24:248-252
1990 – Efficient incorporation of human CD4 protein into avian leukosis virus particles. PMID: 2175047
[Also see: 2002 - J Virol. 2002 Aug;76(15):7860-2. 1917 avian influenza virus sequences suggest that the 1918 pandemic virus did not acquire its hemagglutinin directly from birds. Fanning TG, Slemons RD, Reid AH, Janczewski TA, Dean J, Taubenberger JK. Division of Molecular Pathology, Department of Cellular Pathology and Genetics, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rockville, Maryland 20850-3125, USA. PMID: 12097598]
1996 – FMD in quail, Japan – PMID: 8920213
1999 - FMD pathology in dolphins - Vet Pathol. 1999 Jan;36(1):28-34. Angiomatosis, a newly recognized disease in Atlantic bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from the Gulf of Mexico. Turnbull BS, Cowan DF. Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network, Galveston 77555-0588, USA. PMID: 9921753
2001 – avian reovirus – FMD pathology in infected chickens, Brazil
www.scielo.br...
2003 - bypassing immune system - on antigen presenting cells, such as B cells and fibroblasts, (cytoskeletal) actin microfilaments act as a regulator of the movement and capping of HLA-DR receptors. PMID: 12590977

Refrences from the US National Institutes of Health are filed by "PMID #'s" - go to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... and enter the PMID # in the search box to read the abstract.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Good info
However, I am basing my observations on how the Chinese governemtn reacted in both outbreaks. Suspicious to say the least. Even if bird flu and SARS had origins outside of China, who is not to say that they would not use them for biowarfare uses?

Thier reaction in both cases are hardly spin and are well documented. And with all due respect, the WHO has a way of spinning the facts which ever way the funding winds are blowing. Im not sure where you are comming from in regards to faith based science?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Good info
However, I am basing my observations on how the Chinese governemtn reacted in both outbreaks. Suspicious to say the least.

Thanks. ...IMO - China was likely reacting to protect their agricultural industry - and hoping the problem would go away. Something many governments are guilty of doing.

Even if bird flu and SARS had origins outside of China, who is not to say that they would not use them for biowarfare uses?

One of my main points is that we have far, far more to worry about from the real, here, now and natural processes of disease evolution and mutation than from bioterrorism. ...all the nasty diseases already are spread world wide - in our water, food, wild life and more... It's just a matter of time before their effects are undeniable.

FYI - It looks like FMD is a bioweapon that was first spread via US soldiers vaccinations in WWI - and it's the source of all these new mutations... So it makes more scientific and medical sense to look backward, and fix the problem, than guess forward to lay blame.

RE: the WHO's "spin" - the medical documentation is drawn from the US National Institutes of Health database. It clearly shows the epidemiology of disease transmission and mutation through species and continents. ...Must say - I find it interesting that you question the validity of my sources when you provide none of your own.

Im not sure where you are comming from in regards to faith based science?

Ie., "pseudo-science" without substantiating sources, documentation, research etc., that presumes to question well-documented research - and manipulates people by playing fear and other emotions

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I wonder what kind of breaks will come out from the Tsunami targeted areas, as sad as it may seems we have not seen anything yet.

I wonder if the bird flu will become an epidemic in Asia alone with other deceases.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder what kind of breaks will come out from the Tsunami targeted areas, as sad as it may seems we have not seen anything yet.

I think, think mind you that the huge relief effort may have staved off a huge outbreak. As hard of a task as it may have seemed, the cleanup effort to clear bodies, secure fresh water and the like this may be the key to prevent this tragedy from gettin a whole lot worse. They are not out of thier woods but its not as bad as it seemed last week.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This is the 3rd year that avian flu has been confirmed. Looks like it is here to stay. I would agree that the Chinese government has lotsa of catchup to do in terms of credibility because of their handling of the SARS outbreak.

The problem really is the level of health education no disease prevention in those areas affected. Also, it starts very innocuously with a bird falling ill. There is no practical prevention until it starts infecting humans and a pattern emerges. Only then will alarm bells ring and by that time, the vector may well be on its way again.

Scary. Very scary. Imagine someone suffering from bird flu coughing his way through rush hour subway traffic in New York.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
China's behaviour regarding avian flu has been somewhat suspicious.
I've seen it speculated in other places that there could be widespread outbreak of H5N1 that's being hidden, but there's been little substance behind the claims.
I do believe they delayed announcing that they did have outbreak in the country a year ago. The announcements just didn't add up, along with the timing. Just my interpretation of what I saw, though.

Don't know if you're serious or not, Asteroid, but no, you can't catch avian flu by eating KFC. Now, if you were handling the live birds, or raw meat of an infected bird...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Another death in Vietnam from H5N1...

That's the 4th death in the last two weeks, and the 24th in the last year.

Article

Vietnam confirmed Thursday an 18-year-old woman from southern Vietnam died of avian flu, the country's fourth death from the virus in two weeks.

The woman from Hau Giang province died Monday, more than a week after slaughtering a chicken. Dr. Phan Van Tu, chief virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City, said tests showed she had the H5N1 strain of the virus.

Vietnam has reported three other avian flu deaths in recent weeks, the first since September. A six-year-old boy died Dec. 30, a nine-year-old boy died Jan. 4, and a 16-year-old girl died Saturday.

All the cases were from southern Vietnam where avian flu outbreaks among poultry have re-emerged, killing or forcing the controlled slaughters of more than 100,000 birds.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
thanx FredT, a truly thought provoking post. I don't trust China either & wouldn't put it past them to experiment on their citizens. Will keep monitoring this post

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   

HANOI (AFP) - A 13-year-old girl has died from bird flu, becoming Vietnam's 11th victim of the disease in the past month, a doctor said, after worried Thai and UN experts met in the country for talks on the outbreak.
Bird Flu

top topics

join