It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigs: Q&A/General Information Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
So, first I'd like to credit my peer, KingKelson for illuminating me to the wonders of the world of electronic cigarettes. This was back before mods and sub-Ohms. Our first brand was V2. Then we got into those Ego batteries--and then we went into mods and sub-Ohming and have never looked back, since.

I was quite the avid smoker between the ages of 17 and 20. I loved the culture of smokers--a sense of community, almost.
Well, I probably thought that I looked pretty darn cool, too. Anyway, I smoked between 1.5 to 2 packs of (I alternated, like changing up flavors lol) either Cowboy Killers (Marb Red 72's--yum), Camel Crush, Marb Menthol UltraLight, etc. I Liked American Spirits, too. And a Pall Mall party is always the place to be.

Until e-cigs, that is.

Okay, fine! Yeah I have had a regular cigarette on a handful of occasions since four years ago when I quit.

I'm serious. In a cigarette, the only thing that one is truly addicted to is nicotine. The rest is oral fixation. All those 2000+ other chemicals in conventional cigarettes is really not good for you. Versus e-liquid: vegetable glycerin & propylene glycol (either a 50/50 or 80/20 (max VG/Organitine) pharmaceutical-grade nicotine, FDA-approved flavoring (depends on brand. Organic brands exist). That's it. And no smoke. Just water vapor. It's cheaper than regular cigarettes, won't kill you (AND THERE are nicotine-free options: 0mg nicotine is always available for any liquid).

And it tastes great! I do 0.03mg nicotine. My favorite juices are: Mint Groove by Potion Vape is my favorite liquid--followed by Magnum Opus by Philosopher's Stone--& Chem Trail by Mad Alchemist.

( pictured above ) I use a temp-control coil. A TFV4 tank, and the Snow Wolf V1.5 (200W) by Asmodus. & a custom glass drip tip. ( 0.15 Ohm Resistance/1.3 Volts/ I like my vape cool, between 420 & 450 degrees Farenheit (also does Celcius) @ 50.0 Watts. Sometimes, if it's a thicker (more VG) liquid or a darker-colored liquid (those burn through coils faster than lighter liquids, and so i favor clear liquids), I will go to 500 degrees. Or if I just want a warmer vape.

With the snow wolf, and this SMOK TFV4 tank, (I do nickel temperature control coils), the vape is so smooth that dripping would be a waste. Though the tank is a rebuildable mod and comes with its own building deck and a pre-made coil that is 0.5 Ohms, along with some japanese cotton).

I cloudchase

[ Regarding drip tips (I love them lol) & I am very partial to Trippy Tips brand custom glass drip tips (although this one is actually not a Trippy Tips because my current one doesn't match this atm)...
*** however Be aware that glass drip tips by Trippy Tips are not only rather pricey, they also break (I've lost about 5 of my beautiful Trippy Tips
) so be careful not to drop them if you make the investment. It's much easier not to drop using this box mod set-up that I use. Trippy Tips fit everything from KR808 to 510 tanks. Meaning you can put them on your V2 cigs (Kr808 batteries) or E-Gos (510). My mod is also a 510 threading. ]

O-kee-dokie, then.

Now, besides cheap and dubious liquid or strange clones or do-it-yourself/using chargers inappropriately or being stupid and not using as intended etc. electronic cigarettes are relatively safe.

In my eyes, the only downside is that, generally-speaking, e-cigs don't necessarily calm you as much because they don't deprive your lungs of oxygen like regular cigarettes. So that kinda sucks. But they make you feel focused. And kinda like Gandalf. Which is always a plus.

There's plenty of illegitimate propaganda out there right now, about how they're terrible. But all of the research studies have shown that they are safe. Unless you have some lung condition or heart issue/not able to take stimulants (nicotine is a stimulant). But rest-assured, the nicotine liquid isn't going to kill ya if it gets on you as long as you just rinse with cold water asap.

I think that e-cigs saved my lungs. When I first made the swap, I coughed out all this black stuff for a couple of weeks. And then my lungs felt like I'd never been a smoker in my life.

Please quit smoking cigarettes. Vape e-cigs instead.

I'm interested in seeing how many other vapers are on ATS. And I'd love to see your set-ups!!!
Questions are also welcome

--To add, I saw a thread on here asking how to clean an atomizer?

Answer: you can use vodka--anything you'd drink is fine though. I also regularly wash everything besides the battery and the atomizer with dishsoap and hot water. I take it all apart and I clean it thoroughly. Especially the drip tip--those can get gunky from touching your lips all of the time! (the cotton thing--if you do anything but put that in vodka/alcohol it is basically toast. If it is disposable, throw it away after 7-10 days of use or when the flavor gets weak or tastes burnt or if you aren't getting as big of a hit anymore.)

Oh, and I don't think that anyone asked, but if you've ever heard of that whole formaldehyde thing, well, it is only a risk if you're using those KR808 batteries (V2, Blu (ew)) because they don't burn hot enough. That's why the chemical reaction occurs.

Anyway, please feel free to ask anything. I'm here to help

edit on 6-2-2016 by rukia because: to answer someone's question from another thread: how to clean an atomizer.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I use to smoke 3 packs a day and was able to quit smoking with the patch .

I do vape from time to time and I must say I like Milk and Honey by cosmic fog . Another favorite is nutty cookie by velvet vapor .

Now to imply that vapping is risk free is simply not the case .

Issues can range from an unregulated mod blowing up in someones face to popcorn lung to who knows what else. Your lungs were mentioned to inhale air . Anything other then that there is risk plain and simple.

Now I do agree that vaping is a safer option then smoking , hands down but it's certainly not safe.

Sadly I think that it's still far to early to know the health risks of vaping .]
edit on 6-2-2016 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Max_TO

Yes, i mentioned those things
I actually mentioned plenty more, too.

Basically, don't be stupid. Follow the directions that come with the equipment. Read the warnings. Heed them, etc.

And don't be scared to ask questions to make sure you understand.

Safe is better than sorry, always. Ignorance can kill.

Make sure you buy from reliable dealers. Brand products are best. As always: You get what you pay for.

They don't blow up unless you destroy the charger or try to modify the charger (ie. don't be an idiot and it will be okay).
And don't use bad batteries. Don't let them get liquid on them. Don't use a ripped battery, etc.

Things don't just 'blow up'.

edit on 6-2-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I quit analogs and went digital 3 years ago. And I am fortunate enough to have a real brick and mortar vape shop just down the street

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes!!! It feels like living in the future, almost haha

Oh, speaking of which I had to go swap back out for the air flow glass drip tip thingy that came with the SMOK tank. That glass piece is so harsh on this tank xD
edit on 6-2-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Agree with just about everything you said .

But to be clear , and unregulated mod working perfectly with the best batteries around can and will blow simply buy having it on the wrong settings that is fact . But yes as you say , don't be an idiot. Having said that one doesn't need to be an idiot to blow up their face, inexperienced will do.

And I too would like to echo your request, for God sake quit cigarettes and make the switch to vaping .

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I've been vaping for almost 3 years now and don't regret it for a minute. I quit a 2 pack a day habit (at most) cold turkey. I have not had one cigarette since.

I would like to know where you got that drip tip from though if you would PM it to me?? Please?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Is this an advertisement? I don't want "popcorn lung" thanks

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I vape and are happier for it. I feel fitter, lost weight and find I have no need for a cigarette.

Some pluses are there is no need for a lighter, ashtrays or bad breath.

No more nico stains in the house or car. I agree, is you are a smoker try vaping. Much cheaper in the long run too.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes!!! It feels like living in the future, almost haha

Oh, speaking of which I had to go swap back out for the air flow glass drip tip thingy that came with the SMOK tank. That glass piece is so harsh on this tank xD

I like anything that gives me the old fashioned kick though....There is a Black Cigar flavor they mix in house . Gives me exactly the old fashioned cough cough w/o the bad stuff

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Vaping has literally saved me, I am so thankful for it. I feel so much healthier now! I started at 18 mg and I'm now down to 3 mg, next step is 0.

The electronic_cigarette sub on reddit is a great community if you want to be more involved online, not saying ats isn't great it's just different.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
smoked roughly a pack a day for 20 years,

moved to vaping - 12 mg nicotine, and stuck with it for 1 year - never going back to smoking...

then dropped to Zero/0 mg Nicotine, stayed with it for about 3/4 months,

then quit vaping, and have now been free of it for 2/3 months

edit on 6-2-2016 by richter13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Quit smoking and started vaping in October, 2012. My favorite flavor is Kickin Cola by Steam Junk, 16 mg nicotine (staryed at 32 mg), hi VG.

My favorite batt is the 50 watt eleaf istick in hot pink. I have the 30 watt in blue. I have a few smoov 2400 mah passthroughs.
I have a few different tanks, not too fancy. I like nova style. I had a kanger aerotank, the threads are really sharp and dethreaded a couple of my batts. I started avoiding tanks with a variable airflow twist thing, usually don't work well. As long as I change coils often enough, $16 tanks are fine.

I do like your drip tip! I will look for it.

Vaping saved my life
My avatar is vaping, lol.

edit on 6-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Max_TO

Popcorn lung is a myth. The ingredient that could cause it is actually in higher doses in cigarettes than in any vape juice. So until a cigarette smoker (or even a vaper) gets popcorn lung...its a myth in vaping.

I vape. my juices all come from vapewild.com . Their custard is fantastic, as is the cinnamon toast crunch. I buy 480ml bottles of max vg 9mg nic.

My favorite set up is a kanger subtank with a nice siegeli 30w box that was gifted to me. I use this at home, and on weekends. For work I have a few eGo One Mini's with the .5 ohm coils. Discreet and powerful little devices.

The wife doesn't subohm, but she has a tiffany blue and a pink eGo One Mini with the 1 ohm coils that she uses. She also has a few eleaf 20w mini's that she uses Nautilus MIni tanks with. Her favorite flavors are Pinkie Twinkie, On Cloud Custard, Grape Gatsby, and Birthday Cake from Vape Wild. We also both like Sugar Cookie from Cuttwood. Ill order a batch order of 2 bottles of it, and 2 bottles of Unicorn Milk for a friend.

Not having any decent local vape shops, I buy all my hardware either from VapeWild (they have some Kanger stuff, and coils for my eGo One Mini's), MistHub, or MyFreedomSmokes. I like Misthub because they use a Gorilla for a logo.

No pictures of any of my gear.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

My advice: eleaf batteries are not made to take a beating. They will dethread rather quickly no mtter what you do. You can slow it down by cleaning out the battery post every time (removing any microparticles that speed up the abrasion). You can also buy an extender that you can put in place, and just screw your tanks onto it. My wife does this with one of her 20w mini eleafs.

Another option is to buy Innokin. You can get, for example, a coolfire for the same price as a eleaf 50, but the threads (and other compnonents) will wear longer.

Not that im knocking eleaf. We have a few and they've worked well.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpecialSauce

Is this an advertisement? I don't want "popcorn lung" thanks

I'm fairly certain there is no scientific basis for the popcorn lung thing. I'll try to find links but pretty sure it has to do with the implicated alleged chemical being found at concentrations no higher than 1/700th of what is found in tobacco cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Great post! I started vaping to quit dipping, which i started to stop smoking. I've just got a stock Kangertech minibox, but it works great.

Does anyone know if there is a danger to second or third had vape? I have a new born and don't do it around her but worry it could be on my clothes or skin. Don't want her having any Nic.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
"Popcorn lung" will only hapen when you use sh*tty gas station look alike with their sh*t ty Chinese eliquid with no knowledge of what chemicals they all put in it. Like the OP says don't be stupid, know what's in the eliquid and how the mods work. Also, the conditions in which they found the "popcorn lung" comes from unrealistic vaping, where the experimenters made a machine that puffs at rediculous power settings and puff times. They had the thing take minute long puffs. I dare any vapor to take a hit for one whole minute and tell me how that goes.

Disclaimer: don't take minute long puffs. Most ecigs have a 15 second limit for a reason. Be smart, deny ignorance
a reply to: SpecialSauce

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Have you had any problems with the eleaf 50w? I got one that died within the week and the replacement was fine for a week and then would start without pressing anything and would not stop for like 5 seconds after I stopped pressing the button. Iv heard alot of others having this same problem and others that work perfectly.
a r
eply to: reldra

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
So since this is a gwneral forum i was wonderi g what all you vapors think about further applications for vaping might be? I'm probably looking to far into this with little scientific knowledge but what do you think of vaping as a use for medicine or any other applications? I also had the idea of nutrition vapes that could give the user the recommended dose of vitamins and such but don't know if it's possible. I know they have eliquid with caffeine and stuff to produce and energy vape ( tried it and it does give and bit of a boost) but I don't know how pheasable (spelling?) That is really. Thanks science side of ATS (lol)

May the Wendy Smile Upon Your Vaping.

reply to: rukia

top topics

<<   2 >>

join