It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White, Discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I talk of freedom...
you talk of the flag...
I talk of revolution...
but you'd much rather brag....

It's all style and no substance these days. Words and no action.

Complacency.

How many people do you know that are actually too scared to know the truth? Whether it is about Racism. The Economy. The US Government.

Just keep mowing your lawns. Raking your leaves. Eating your burgers while watching the SuperBowl.

And don't forget, Keeping up with the Kardashians is on next!!!!

This, my friends, is the biggest social issue we have to face today.

Complacency.
edit on 5-2-2016 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
that may be why no country/society has ever lasted. eventually through comfort the people become lax and complacent. they quit paying attention and greed, lust for power and psychopathy take hold of those in charge. or maybe people prone to those delusions migrate to positions of power.

by the time enough discomfort is felt by the relaxing populace to alert them that there is a problem, it's way too late to pull their asses out of the fire. then the fire goes out, or revolution, flush the governmental toilet and begin refilling the bowl.

crap, gotta go! the kardashians are coming on!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
One thing is sure...ranting on internet forums is a great way to fight complacency....!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Great song choice !

Now I'm sitting here listening to all of my Live music on my computer...

So what is apathy ?
I don't know, and I don't care.

Look... we all know that our countries are 100% rife with corruption at every level and nothing short of an all out revolution involving every human body available on the planet is going to fix the problem.

All I know is that my swords are sharpened and ready for a skallywag scuffle whenever the time comes.

You guys just fill me in on the time and place.

Now if you don't mind, I have to go back to saving the world, one 84th level Breton conjuring melee fight at a time...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

One day you will grow up and be embarrassed by this thread and the #ty music.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

You messed that one up.

its

"What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?"

"I don't know and I don't care."

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I believe it's diffusion of responsibility on a massive scale.

Definition: Diffusion of responsibility is a sociopsychological phenomenon whereby a person is less likely to take responsibility for action or inaction when others are present.

So if the population wasn't so unimaginable, would we all be more active in our local, state, and national government? Perhaps. I know I am guilty of diffusing sociopolitical responsibility to those people who are directly affected by specific social injustices. But I think there is a different way to approach the issue of responsibility. It's about personal responsibility more so than political responsibility.
For instance, should I politically activate on illegal immigration? Should I get fired up and ugly about Americans being replaced by foreign workers, or.... Should I simply learn Spanish and adapt and co-integrate with them? Shouldn't I put forth the effort to embrace change, competition, and diversity? Shall I have good will toward others, or be small, limited and scared? Strategic self improvement dissolves the paranoia of becoming irrelevant.

Someone once told me that all I should worry about is how to positively affect the 3 foot radius around me. Trying to control more than that usually translates into a negative imposition on others, profound frustration and cynicism.

By the way, pay no mind to the things which repulse you. I share your regard for the Kardashian disease, but had not thought of it for a long while until you mentioned it. Stop clicking the click bait. Your web traffic helps perpetuate it.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

A star is worth a thousand words. ... or something like that,

BTW, I star thee....

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Armchair protesting is worse in my opinion. It achieves nothing and leads to pessimism. At least complacency is happy in its own bubble.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked

One day you will grow up and be embarrassed by this thread and the #ty music.

Wow. You really did just make an insult, one that only serves as defamation, yet offered no personal opinion.

I am thoroughly amazed.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I'm curious as to what exactly you are doing to change the world if you would care to share?
What was the most recent protest, direct action or civil disobedience you have been involved in?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I do not find your attempt to shift blame to me to have no impact on the comments I've made.

Regardless of anything I have or have not done....

How many people do you personally know who fit the bill to what I was speaking of in my original post?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I know lots of people who don't give a toss about what is happening in the world, but I also know that ranting about it on ATS isn't going to change anything.
I am of the opinion that, in a thread ranting about people doing nothing to change things, it is entirely pertinent to ask what the author is personally doing about such matters in real life, aside from ranting on ATS.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

First of all, this was not a "rant". Quite against my wishes it was moved here from the original forum I posted it to.

Second of all, it is an observation on reality.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It looks like a rant, quacks like a rant...
Regardless, you still haven't said what exactly you yourself are doing to change the world, any more than the apathetic people you are whining about in the OP?

Posting on ATS doesn't count, that's just the lazy man activist lol

top topics

join