It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.4 magnitude earthquake shakes southern Taiwan, building collapse reported!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Looks like a big one! Will revise as more information is available.

www.rt.com...

6.4 magnitude earthquake shakes southern Taiwan, building collapse reported

A magnitude 6.4 earthquake struck southern Taiwan early on Saturday, the US Geological Survey said. A building has partially collapsed, according to an official. Authorities in the effected city have formed an emergency response center.

A building has half collapsed in Tainan as a result of the quake, with fire brigades now on their way to the site, Liu Shih-chung, Tainan City Government official, told Reuters.

The epicenter of the quake was located at a shallow depth of 6.2 miles (10 km), some 19 miles (31 km) east-southeast of Tainan, the USGS said.

bnonews.com...

edit on 5-2-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hercolubus inbound.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think its awful that this thread has been up for almost a hour with no real response.

This looks like its going to be a really bad one sadly, Sky news are reporting that there were people inside the buildings that collapsed so we can probably expect a high number of fatalities. I pray I am wrong.

On a side note I am really starting to think that all threads on ATS should now include the words "trump" or "Clinton" in the title in order to get a bit of traction because its a sad state of affairs on ATS when a story like this breaks and sits for a hour with not a single response.
edit on 5-2-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
bnonews.com...

Multiple buildings collapsed in Tainan City and search-and-rescue operations are underway with fears of serious casualties. One of the collapsed buildings was described as a 16-story building housing dozens of families, many of whom are believed to have been at home. Another is a 7-story building from which at least 30 people have been rescued.

There was no immediate word on the number of casualties from the worst affected areas, but fire officials said a number of injuries were reported in Kaohsiung City as a result of falling objects. Two injuries as a result of falling debris were reported in Huwei Township of Yunlin County.

Some areas in Tainan City were hit by serious flooding as the result of broken water lines.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well just came on to see about this .. Have been dealing with 11 inches of wet heavy miserable snow here. I will be checking back later to see updates because I know there will be a lot of information coming in here as people learn more ..... Now to go make dinner ...

Stupid autocorrect .. And being to tired to notice it

edit on 5-2-2016 by justme1640 because: Autocorrect Made well into we'll

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

man, some insane things going on with earth as of late. hope the death count stay low.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
twitter.com...
they say it was 6.7

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
www.express.co.uk...

This sounds terrible and the pictures in the Express look like some far fetched Hollywood film. God help these poor people who are trapped and prayers go out to all the loved ones who will be going through hell tonight. We need to get out there as soon as possible for search and rescue.

It says in source above hundreds trapped.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Volcanic eruption in Guatemala and Japan, then a 5.2 in the Philippines before this one. Anyone with knowledge know ifthis current activity is related?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
Volcanic eruption in Guatemala and Japan, then a 5.2 in the Philippines before this one. Anyone with knowledge know ifthis current activity is related?

would be interesting to find out

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo
It occurred to me as well....that's a lot of compensating pressures around the plate (pacific)
Could definitely be directly related to each other.....
maybe somebody could fill us in on that thought......

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Sky News reporting 130 people have been rescued from 17 storey building and so far no one dead. Sounds more optimistic fingers crossed.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Sky News reporting 130 people have been rescued from 17 storey building and so far no one dead. Sounds more optimistic fingers crossed.

If nobody his died in this disaster then someone phone the Vatican because I miracle to authenticate.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
For anyone interested in learning more (as information comes out or to monitor aftershocks, please go to the Quake Watch 2016 ATS thread here-> www.abovetopsecret.com...

We are very blessed to have very seismically knowledge posters here on ATS (that's how I found this site).

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: Kuroodo

would be interesting to find out

Simple : The Pacific Ring of Fire.

All places mentioned are there my friends.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: anxiouswens

If nobody his died in this disaster then someone phone the Vatican because I miracle to authenticate.

I was thinking something similar but now we have reports of death.

Four dead after magnitude-6.4 earthquake shocks Taiwan

www.cnn.com...
edit on 5-2-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

5 dead and hundreds trapped www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

150 are missing, 230 pulled out alive...the death toll has gone up to 14

www.dailymail.co.uk... eath-tolls-reaches-14.html

new topics

top topics

join