It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edgar Mitchell has died

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Damn...Despite any differences of opinion or disagreements any of us may have had with him, I think every last one of us respected (and still do) Mitchell and viewed him as the hero he was. To many of us, myself included, he was a childhood idol.

In all of human history, only 12 people have set foot on another world, and he was one of them. If that doesn't make the man a legend and a hero, I don't know what does. It's sad to see him go...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I just noticed this is in the Aliens and Ufos section, hmmm, not sure that is respectful.

Well you do have the ability to post in the other forum, just started a few minutes before your post.
It's not disrespectful, Edgar happened to believe in the probability of alien life, even as being here in another time. 70 years ago that would have been snorted at, given the knowledge of the day, possibly with entrenched views on religion, but certainly snorted on.
It's not so long ago, that the end of a habitable Earth was around 600 million to 700 million from now, that figure is now put at..variously from 1.5 billion to 3.0 billion+ all according to who you talk to, much longer than the need for intelligent life to rise and fall as thought previously. Plenty of scope there for Edgar Mitchell to be correct in some of his ideas, given a planet such as the new survivability Earth as the example.
One and a half thousand years ago, we had scratchings from Ezekiel, in recent modern parlance considered as someone 'stoned' most of the time, since a lot of what he said didn't make sense, now we could just say sublime.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
"Death may simply be an alteration in consciousness, a transition for continued life in a nonmaterial form."
Edgar Mitchell

RIP

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Into the void,
Upon fury hurled,
To stand and walk,
Upon other worlds,
To see the Earth,
Rise and fall,
To seek,
To know,
To learn it all,
And once again,
Now weary hurled,
Into the void,
To stand and walk,
Through the veil between worlds.

Happy landings Mitchell. Godspeed.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

Me, too.

Yet another one of the heroes of my childhood.

Enjoy the stars, sir, you lead us to 'em, someday we'll follow.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I was always amazed at the fact that every atom in our bodies has cycled through 5 or six stars in the history of the universe. We are star stuff, and we are only here for a very short time before we return to where we came from. Have a good journey Dr Mitchell.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Very sad day for anyone interested in space, NASA, ufo's, etc.

Very sad day for America in general. RIP, Mr. Mitchell.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I didn't see this one here. I posted this earlier in a news section. I had known for a few weeks now that is wasn't looking to good for Dr. Mitchell. We were not aloud to post about his condition but intil the other day. He fell a few weeks ago and hit his head. Though he was doing better, he never was recovering like he should have. A fall like that when your up there in age can be the final straw. And it proved that for our national hero. Edgar was a true hero to not just us in the US, but around the world. He was one of only a handful to ever walk on the moon, or even leave orbit around our planet. Here is a piece posted a bit ago by Jeremy Corbell of Dr. Edgar Mitchell. Moonwalker, Dr Mitchell

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
"Death may simply be an alteration in consciousness, a transition for continued life in a nonmaterial form."
Edgar Mitchell

RIP

Nice. Rest in Peace, Mr. Mitchell.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Edgar, I hope that your next adventure is opening before you.

With the loss of every hero we are diminished. I wonder who, if anyone, will step into the shoes of these greats.

edit on 5/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

It's weird. I just randomly chose to watch the first episode of the New X Files, which spoke of Edgar Mitchell. Irony.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sad end to an overall brilliant career.
God speed Edgar Mitchell.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
He is an inspiration and I will miss him very much, R.I.P Edgar xx

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Haven't logged in ages but this feels like an exception. Pretty soon no one with decent credentials will be left to expose some of the sketchier sides of our society, a detail I'm sure is take into account by whatever global group is running #.

I hope, like I'm sure Edgar Mitchell hoped that the full truth will eventually come to light and these rotten individuals are justly punished for their crimes.

Thank you sir for everything you've done, I respect your courage and will to stand up to the evils of the world, I'm sure in a few decades here I'll most likely be joining you in the next level of this mess.

Take care brother

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Can't believe I have just seen this.

Sad news.

R.I.P Edgar Mitchell.

1930-2016

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

One of the truth speakers R>I>P> Edgar. May you fight the good fight forever.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
He lived a full life, an inspiration! RIP Dr. Edgar Mitchell!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I was laughing about something while scrolling down the top stories page and immediately got the smile wiped off of my face. I'm really sad to see that Mitchell is gone. I knew he was getting up there. My grandmother died the same way. A fall and injury to the head. I have more respect for Mitchell than other astronauts for the simple fact that his open mind allowed him to explore and attempt to discover the truly unknown regardless of the consequences. Dying in a space craft or space is one thing, being potentially ridiculed for the rest of your life and having your career and integrity put on the line for exploring those areas is another ball game. He was truly brave and the true truth seeker.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2
He says in the video he was privileged to speak with older timers in the military and intelligence community who wanted to get some things off their chest before they passed away. SO that's where he got most of his confidence in life elsewhere. As Oberg stated, he never saw any UFOs while working for NASA and he's unaware of anybody working for NASA ever seeing one. NASA just wouldn't notice I guess. Why is it it's always military or intelligence or navy or something, why never NASA? You'd think since NASA is a space agency they would have seen something, wouldn't you? Kind of makes you wonder who to believe. Most people just assume well this means there's no UFOs, since NASA hasn't seen any.

Later Mitchell. I wasn't young enough to see us landing on the moon. I'll never understand you the way older ones do. You'll be on my mind.
edit on 2/6/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
xkcd #893 "65 Years"

(Image used with permission)

“The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there’s no good reason to go into space – each discovered, studied and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.”
-- Randall Munroe

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join