It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ Release Pushed Back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If you're a star wars fan, then you probably know that Disney is releasing a new star wars movie, every single year for the next 6+ years.

If you don't know that...

SURPRISE!!

Half of those movies don't follow the original 2 trilogies (or this third trilogy) and are stand-alone stories.

There will be a new star wars movie this year (that is a stand-alone film), but Star Wars: Episode VIII's release date is being pushed back. It was suppose to come out May of next year. But now is going to be released December of next year.

As much as I want to see the next installment right away, in film, it's a good thing when the release date is extended, especially to such an extent.

The pressure is now severely relieved from the directors and writers, leaving more time to be careful with all the details, and less room to completely destroy a beloved franchise.

So, expect December 2017 (or maybe even moving early into 2018) the be the next trilogy installment.

More info here
edit on 5/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Agreed. Take the time and do it right. As for the other "non-trilogy" films, I'll have to wait and see. I'm afraid it's going to end up like Marvel and become so watered down after countless spinoff's that it will ruin the franchise. My feeling is less is more but I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

What would be cool to see would be something like a high quality tv show of some events we've clearly missed. Something like Luke's time teaching at his Jedi academy would be very interesting. Of course, that has a massive chance to fail, but if it's done correctly it would be incredible.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Agreed. Take the time and do it right. As for the other "non-trilogy" films, I'll have to wait and see. I'm afraid it's going to end up like Marvel and become so watered down after countless spinoff's that it will ruin the franchise. My feeling is less is more but I could be wrong.

Ha! You forget that Hollywood forgot the meaning of the word restraint. Hollywood is all about running franchises into the ground until everyone is sick of them. Then releasing even more from that franchise. I mean look what the reason for pushing Star Wars back was for. Another PotC movie? Really? Are people still going to see those movies?
edit on 5-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Agreed. Wishful thinking on my part. Disney is going to squeeze every last penny out of the franchise. I must admit, the Rogue One movie sounds intriguing. From what I've read, it depicts the events that led up to the rebel alliance stealing the plans for the Death Star that is mentioned in New Hope. Could be cool. I just hope that they try to use the same production values as in New Hope for continuity sake.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Although there is a whole universe to explore here, the problem with multiple spinoffs of the main film is as noted, a watered down effect.
Movies and series tend to become dry, the actions predictable, etc. I look forward to at least 2 more main story movies to wrap up the skywalker story, and would find it great if they did a few more well made movies that fit in after, but they have to be careful to not milk it too much

Now

I do see potential for some brilliant games in the future. Oculus Rift and other headsets are to be released in a few months and no doubt some amazing titles will be coming down the line. There has been already a number of amazing star wars titles for games, such as Knights of the Old Republic, which really did a fantastic storytelling job (and some really bad titles such as star wars battlefront epic crap)

I would love for Disney to back one solid single player game universe (skyrim/FO4 style but across a entire galaxy).

I really did enjoy the latest movie, even though it was basically just a retelling of A New Hope

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I really enjoyed episode VII. I am not the world's biggest Star Wars fan, but I thought the movie was awesome and I was eagerly awaiting episode VIII, so the news of the delay is disappointing. Hopefully when if finally premieres the delay will be worth it. I guess we'll see.

Though, I have to say the identity of Supreme Leader Snoke is one thing I'm having a tough time waiting on. I really, really, want to know. And I'm away of fan theories, but I want the official Disney answer. And I want it yesterday!

edit on 5-2-2016 by waarheid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
I'm afraid it's going to end up like Marvel and become so watered down after countless spinoff's that it will ruin the franchise. My feeling is less is more but I could be wrong.

No, you are correct. It's only a matter of time before we start getting hit (if not already) with a deluge of straight-to-video piles of crap like Jar Jar's Bombad Singalong Adventure or Star Wars: Fast 'n Furious Podracers of Malastare

Ep. 7 was decent, enjoyable, but hardly grand (Abrams just doesn't have a sense of what makes things beloved, and what makes them trash..so he adds in both ingredients without any consideration.) I am in no big hurry to see it or any other star wars movies again. I still continue to watch the original trilogy at least once or twice a year though.

edit on 5-2-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
In the world of magic seems they are trying to catch someone

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This news has been out for over a week now i think (sorry big star wars nerd i keep up with this stuff)

The news is not really surprising for a few reasons.

It was always going to be to good to be true to have Rouge one come out in December followed up by Episode 8 in May. Also given that they only started filming the movie last month its even more unlikely when you think about how much work has to go into a movie like Star Wars to make it decent, 18 months from filming to launch is no easy task.

Then there is the biggest of all reasons. MONEY!!!

Disney know that if they release a star wars movie every December for the next 6 years they will own the Christmas box office. Also Summer 2017 was looking super busy for Disney with Gardians of the Galaxy 2, Cars 3and a new Pirates of the Carabian movie all a few months apart along side Star Wars. This move in date also means that Disney can spread out their big movies of 2017 to maximise profit.

Anyway I am sure i can wait a few more months to find out what Luke has to say to Ray I just hope they make use of this extra time but i am confident Rian Johnston can pull this off.

edit on 5-2-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Apparently Snoke is just Snoke....sorry to disappoint but it's been stated by writers and a even Snoke's voice actor that he is a original new character. He isn't Vader Or Boba or Grand Moff Tarkin or even Palpatine apparently Snoke is really just Snoke....he apparently isn't even very strong with the force and isn't even a true Sith....I know eh disappointing...

at least there won't be any shortage of starwars films I the comming years I do love the franchise. Pretty excited for the WoW movie and I hope they remake water world soon too!

a reply to: waarheid

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Snoke is just Snoke....

I don't honestly believe it, I think in Star Wars fashion there has to be some grand reveal to his true identity. Star Wars episode 7 is set about 30 years after a new hope and the end of the Sith. I do not believe that they could introduce a new Sith Master like Snoke without him having some kind of connection to the previous movies somewhere. I am still pretty sold on the idea he is Darth Plaguis, I could be wrong, but I am pretty certain that he is somehow connected to the old Sith. Would not make sense for him to just be there and that its so for that reason i believe his backstory must reach back to the previous movies.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hi SaturnFX

There has been already a number of amazing star wars titles for games, such as Knights of the Old Republic, which really did a fantastic storytelling job

I have a six year old grandson who lives starwars! I am regularly engaged in battle with his light sabers

Knights of the Old Republic. I'm wondering, is that a suitable game for a six year old?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

for a 6 year old i would have to say not, mainly because a young kid would find it quite challenging.

I would recommend one of the lego star wars games they are really good fun, something like the Yoda Chronicles would be quite good you can get it on most smart phones and tablets.
edit on 5-2-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
JJ watched Empire Strikes Back again & probably realized Ep.8 wasnt enough of an exact match.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: VoidHawk

for a 6 year old i would have to say not, mainly because a young kid would find it quite challenging.

I would recommend one of the lego star wars games they are really good fun, something like the Yoda Chronicles would be quite good you can get it on most smart phones and tablets.

Challenging? I bet he could beat you! LOL
He's played all the lego starwars.

Difficulty wouldn't be a problem for him, I introduced him to the original Unreal, which he loved, but he had a nightmare and his mum blamed it on the game, I got a rollicking and he got banned from playing it.

I was more concerned about whether there might be bad language etc?

Thanks for replying

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Hi SaturnFX

There has been already a number of amazing star wars titles for games, such as Knights of the Old Republic, which really did a fantastic storytelling job

I have a six year old grandson who lives starwars! I am regularly engaged in battle with his light sabers

Knights of the Old Republic. I'm wondering, is that a suitable game for a six year old?

No.
It is a mature storyline that involves some graphic violent descriptions, fighting (of course) and a romance line. more suited for I think 13 years old and up..
But
If he is a older kid in a young body, then he might be fine with it. Now, the parents may love that game

As OSOTC said, lego titles would be good for his age
What does he have, a console (x-box 1, playstation 4, etc) or a PC or...you can no doubt get some good recommendations off ATS here for the kid

but yeah..actually someone like yourself might enjoy KOTOR more than him...most PC games (Kotor is PC and original Xbox) are written with a mature audience in mind

Good luck finding a copy, its a classic, but unless its for PC, finding it is gonna be hard...dont confuse kotor with swtor
edit on 5-2-2016 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Thanks for the info

He most definitely is an older kid in a young body, but he's been shielded from unnecessary violence and sex scenes etc, so yes he'll have to wait a while before he gets his hands on KOTOR.
He is so into Star Wars, could probably answer any question thrown at him, which is why your mention of KOTOR grabbed my attention because you said "KOTOR did a fantastic storytelling job", he would love it.

He's played all the lego starwars and we're now running out of ideas, I'm hoping the new films will bring with them some new lego games. He's got PS2 PS3 and my old PC (amd duel core 2.2.ghz with a GTX 9800), pc versions do seem better.

Again thanks for the info

new topics

top topics

join