It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All U.S. Job Gains Since December 2007 Have Gone To Foreign-Born Workers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Great Job news! (sarcasm). Our economy is doing so well isn't it? The breakdowns below pretty much show us that this "economic recovery" is a farce. More Ammo for Trump for sure.

www.zerohedge.com...

We were talking about the chart showing the cumulative addition of foreign-born and native-born workers added to US payrolls according to the BLS since December 2007, i.e., since the start of the recession/Second Great Depression.

As usually happens, it is precisely this data that gets no mention following any job report.

according to the BLS' Establishment Survey, while 151,000 total workers were added in January, a number which rises to 615,000 if looking at the Household survey, also according to the same Household survey, a whopping 567,000 native-born Americans lost their jobs, far less than the 98,000 foreign-born job losses.

70% of the job gains in January went to minimum wage workers.
www.zerohedge.com...

according to the BLS' breakdown of jobs added in January (per the Establishment survey), of the 151,000 jobs added in the past month, retail trade added 58,000 jobs in January, while employment in food services and drinking places, aka waiters and bartenders, rose by 47,000 in January.

In other words, 70% of the job gains in January went to minimum wage workers.

Bottom line: the big sequential bounce in wages was driven entirely by the January minimum wage increase, and the low December base effect. Expect this sequential increase to renormalize in February when the base now reflect higher minimum wages.

An Update On The Waiter And Bartender Recovery
www.zerohedge.com...

Since the US manufacturing sector is unofficially in a recession, and since the US service sector is allegedly growing like gangbusters, we are updating our favorite chart showing the bifurcation in the New Abnormal US economy: the job gains by U.S. manufacturing workers on one hand, and by waiters and bartenders on the other.

Here is the cumulative job gains for manufacturers vs waiters and bartenders in the past 12 months...

May the minimum wage waiter and bartender recovery live long and continue to prosper.

edit on 5-2-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I wouldn't say it's new. I have zerohedge's graphs of this from a while back.

It would seem that data like this would become a major talking point, an essential slam dunk for anyone proposing lower immigration levels and pro-border control.
The data is public, from a governmental agency meaning the data can't be thrown out as racist or right wing.
Combine this data with this graph and its likely native born prime working age american are still in the hole for net job growth. most job growth going to either foreigners or near retirees who are holding off retiring.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I find it ironic that someone who regularly posts right-wing propaganda should be upset about most of the new jobs going to minimum wage workers. That is the aftermath of Republican-led, "right-to-work," union-busting, education-gutting, outsourcing, trickle-down economics.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
Everyone has to live, brother. Peace.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

edit on 5-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

unionized jobs are generally skilled professions. De-unionizing them would not drop wages to that level. unskilled professions generally do not unionize.
Likely it means that jobs growth in skilled professions is nill and retail, waiter, bartender jobs are the only jobs being created.

nice try though.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Your title says "ALL" job gains went to foreign born people, but your source and OP says 70% of the job gains in January were minimum wage jobs. Which is it?

Minimum wage does not equal "foreign born" worker. I know a lot of waitresses who make LESS than minimum wage. I also now see a lot more middle aged folks working fast food, pushing the stereotypical "pimple-faced teen" from behind the fry station.

I know people who work 2-3 jobs between gas stations and grocery stores...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

I find it ironic that someone who regularly posts right-wing propaganda should be upset about most of the new jobs going to minimum wage workers. That is the aftermath of Republican-led, "right-to-work," union-busting, education-gutting, outsourcing, trickle-down economics.

In a way I can see where you're going with that.

The notion that supporting the Republicans will give you smaller government, more freedom, more private sector autonomy and reward the hard-working is kind of a myth.

Under Republican leadership defense spending skyrockets, the wealthy get massive tax breaks that never "trickle down", and draconian "security measures" to keep us safe from scary foreigners are put into place.

This defending of the rich is some cognitive Jedi mind trick. "Support the wealthy, and maybe they'll toss some scraps your way and fill your head with hollow lies about how you too can become wealthy!"

Meanwhile, they just laugh at how they've been able to convince the poor that they've got their best interests in mind.

EDIT: And before someone chimes in with "Well yeah the Democrats..."

Sure, both sides use the poor as a weapon against the other -- I get that, and neither "team" is clean or innocent in that regard. That aside, the Republicans are pretty unabashed when it comes to manipulating the poor while never giving them anything close to what those people thought they were getting. At least under the Democrats (like Bill Clinton) the poor did better in quantifiable ways we can look back upon and see.
edit on 5-2-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Is there any evidence that "All U.S. Job Gains Since December 2007 Have Gone To Foreign-Born Workers?"

I know for a fact it isn't true, I'm just wondering which source should be considered complete and total bunk for making such an obvious false claim.

It isn't shocking that there would be more job losses among US-born workers, since they make up the bulk of the workforce. What is surprising to me if that they actually track job gains and losses based on where workers were born, as opposed to citizenship status. That's some damn fine, and extremely tedious/costly research (if true.)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

This data is from the bureau of labor statistics. If you can't believe these statistics then there will be no credible source for you.
I suggest you look at an I-9 form, you know one of those forms you fill out that your employer sends to .gov.

Sure I guess it is possible that the BLS may fail at their job but considering that data goes to them

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I find this tuff to swallow. Since 07, My company has doubled in staff using all local people.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: dogstar23

This data is from the bureau of labor statistics. If you can't believe these statistics then there will be no credible source for you.
I suggest you look at an I-9 form, you know one of those forms you fill out that your employer sends to .gov.

Sure I guess it is possible that the BLS may fail at their job but considering that data goes to them

Just curious not being from America, does that form include employees country of birth even if they are now classed as US citizens? If so, what is the point apart from showing that more people who are not born in America got themselves jobs than those that were born in America? What exactly does that actually mean if both sets of people are paying taxes? Does it mean people not born in America are more likely to take on jobs that those born in America won't?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
All jobs created since 2007, epic fail lol, really all jobs, at lesst you could have tweeked your title, and people believe this lol.

All jobs i just spilled my coffee over th keyboard lol.
edit on 5-2-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

unionized jobs are generally skilled professions.

Wrong many unions train their people after they join.

De-unionizing them would not drop wages to that level.

Wrong again without the unions to bargain for the worker the companies pay what they want not what they should.

unskilled professions generally do not unionize.

Yet wrong again many unskilled professions unionize.

Likely it means that jobs growth in skilled professions is nill and retail, waiter, bartender jobs are the only jobs being created.

There is job growth in skilled professions but the jobs are going to foreign born workers being brought in under the H-1B1 visa. Like when Disney brought in all those workers and then fired their American workers after they finished training the foreign.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
All jobs created since 2007, epic fail lol, really all jobs, at lesst you could have tweeked your title, and people believe this lol.

You see, there are those things called "Links".

Note the TITLE of the first link.... Same as the title of the thread

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Just curious not being from America, does that form include employees country of birth even if they are now classed as US citizens? If so, what is the point apart from showing that more people who are not born in America got themselves jobs than those that were born in America? What exactly does that actually mean if both sets of people are paying taxes? Does it mean people not born in America are more likely to take on jobs that those born in America won't?

An I-9 requires an individual to prove identity and eligibility. US citizens have Social security numbers and driver's licenses. Passports work. Then there are a variety of other means of identification like green cards.
Immigrants can apply for a social security number and of course become a citizen over time. native borns are given a number at birth. This would make it easy to track if they were so inclined.

It does likely indicate that people will take jobs some won't and for less money. Or that business owners are more likely to hire immigrants. I've heard of some business cultures that fire the native born cut wages 25% then rehire an immigrant. I have heard this is happens often in the tech industry with H1B's(highly educated immigrant. often from India).

most native borns will not pick fruits or milk cows for $8/hr everyday for the rest of their lives. Some immigrants will.

I did not look to see if the BLS data included illegal immigrants. illegal immigrants are often on farms for lower wages than $8/hr and live on the farm in some trailers usually hidden from road view. They live better than a lot of mexicans in mexico but it's definite poverty by american standards.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

You see theres a thing called reality, just tell my budy in chicago that keeps on hireing hvac technicians for is homegrown company, fail again lol

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Or maybe just maybe your buddy is good at running his business.
Usually when we talk about nationwide macroeconomic and social issues we use anecdotal reports of someone's small business as proof /sarc.

I know a guy who did coc aine for 20 years and held down a job and had a family. Proof that coc aine isn't bad. that is what your post sounds like.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

You see theres a thing called reality, just tell my budy in chicago that keeps on hireing hvac technicians for is homegrown company, fail again lol

Net change "picture" for you:

research.stlouisfed.org...

research.stlouisfed.org...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Or maybe just maybe your buddy is good at running his business.
Usually when we talk about nationwide macroeconomic and social issues we use anecdotal reports of someone's small business as proof /sarc.

I know a guy who did coc aine for 20 years and held down a job and had a family. Proof that coc aine isn't bad. that is what your post sounds like.

What does comparing a drug addict to someone who creates jobs, thanks for coming out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join