It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study measures impact of removing Planned Parenthood from Texas women's health program

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

So you see things from 2011 and assume it's the newest, most accurate available?

I can't believe the iPhone 4s, it's so cool, have you seen Siri?

I don't know how to make it more clear to you that you are using old information and then just taking it at their word that it's still accurate because you believe it helps your argument.

Furthermore your still talking about an 80% success rate which are odds I would take everyday. Sometimes multiple times a day.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

LOL not even close to being the same.

Cute though.

Birth control IS insurance for women who choose NOT to become pregnant. You take away her choices to affordable birth control, saying that she shouldn't depend on others, then that IS the same as suggesting that you drop your auto or homeowner insurance.

Have no doubt about it, defunding Planned Parenthood robs low income women to access of affordable birth control. Moves like allowing employers to dictate what birth control their females employees' insurance are allowed to choose from was the first step to robbing women of choices. Defunding Planned Parenthood is the 2nd step.

Women of means will always have access to whatever birth control they choose, even abortion.
edit on 5-2-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The feminism and pro abortion groups where " thank god for abortion" t shirts and " I'm proud of my abortion" t shirts.

What does that say to you?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

There is little to no excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

Why? Should all women want to be pregnant?

Do you think that all women should abstain from sex unless they want to become pregnant?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
Birth control IS insurance for women who choose NOT to become pregnant. You take away her choices to affordable birth control, saying that she shouldn't depend on others, then that IS the same as suggesting that you drop your auto or homeowner insurance.

So PP is the ONLY place to get affordable birth control? It is up to the state of Texas to most likely fill this gap then, but since everyone has Obamacare doesn't that cover it as well?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Damn ya'll love going to the extreme, putting words in peoples mouths, and making things up just to prove your point.

I'm going to be done discussing this with you people because it's not a discussion. Also I'm hungry.

For the record. I will not be happy with money I contributed going to a place that also performs abortions. Separate them and don't use my money to fund abortion clinics and were all good.

Contraception of all kinds is good and should be used. Thankfully it IS available to all, albeit for some to get their preferred method of contraception may be a little harder or more difficult than others. Most of the time getting the thing you prefer in life over the free thing is a little harder.

If defunding planned parenthood is making it harder for women to receive the contraception they prefer, it is mostly the fault of PP for combining the issues of women health with abortion and making it taboo to suggest the ending of one without attacking women's health as a whole. Women should not seek entitlement from abortions and instead stand against it to separate the contraceptive needs of a woman from the post-conception needs of a woman.

All just the opinions of a dumb man though.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

well, the real question of this whole thing is why do some want to throw birth control out of the healthcare equation? medicaid pays for all kinds of things, even to the most unworthy of society. so why is birth control an exception?
you are willing to pay for vaccines that prevent diseases, even when those vaccines are derived from fetal tissue. you are willing to pay for all kinds of tests that will detect disease before it's even exists...
why is the women's ability to control the when and how many babies she brings into the world somehow different? do you refuse to accept allowing adequate spacing between children decreases risks to both mother and child? or what?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Need a breast exam?

Call your dentist.

What about an HIV test or pap smear?

Find your friendly ophthalmologist.

Looking for a birth-control refill?

No problem. Visit your local nursing home.

These were Louisiana’s utterly unhelpful, sublimely ridiculous recommendations for where to send the 5,200 low-income patients who will lose access to reproductive health services if the state cuts off Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood, as Gov. (and flagging Republican presidential candidate) Bobby Jindal wants.

www.washingtonpost.com...

When Louisiana wanted to pull planned parenthood funding and went to court the first time claiming that there were plenty of places that women could go for these needs....they produced a list of 2,010 providers that could fill this need, that included dentists, nursing homes, and eye doctors! The court didn't buy it, and well the state had to draw up another list.... the new list consisted of just 29 providers.

I took the time to look in my own community, and well, I am wondering just where are these other places? Our health department does provide some of them, but well, the fact that they are offering std screening on a first come first serve basis kind of tells me that they aren't capable of handling the flow they have.

so you tell me, in your area, just where are the places for these women,
they have to take medicaid,
they have to offer a full range of family planning services,
they had to be willing to honestly discuss abortion as an option,
and they have to operate on a reduced payment scale to incorporate those who don't have medicaid or insurance.

and by the way, not everyone has obamacare! and gee, remember hobby lobby, and all those other religous businesses and organizations that were found to be exempt. if I remember right, they were found to be exempt because of the title x, or whatever money could be used instead. so, the gov't made it so that they could get out of covering birth control if they just filled out a simple form stating their objection. shouldn't be a problem, should it, I mean it seems like you people don't have any objection whatsoever of stating your objections! but well, they see a problem with it, and it's heading for the supreme court!
I'm 57 years old, I get a whopping $700 in disability, medicaid doesn't cover me, and obamacare won't either. I am kind of left to fend for myself....
so don't tell me that we are all covered by obamacare!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I will not be happy with money I contributed going to a place that also performs abortions.

Like hospitals that also receive federal funds?

Contraception of all kinds is good and should be used. Thankfully it IS available to all, albeit for some to get their preferred method of contraception may be a little harder or more difficult than others.

No. Not all contraception methods are available to all women. For example, women who pay their insurance premiums, but work for a fundamentalist Christian that is against birth control, can't get it through their primary doctors. For these women their only recourse are Planned Parenthood clinics, and the like.

There are plenty of other examples of women who are disenfranchised from access to many birth control choices, due to their situations. Like I said earlier, women of means will always have access to these options, including abortion. It's the low income women who are being deprived.

If defunding planned parenthood is making it harder for women to receive the contraception they prefer, it is mostly the fault of PP for combining the issues of women health with abortion and making it taboo to suggest the ending of one without attacking women's health as a whole.

That's absurd! Abortion is a constitutionally protected legal medical procedure that many woman choose to have, and some HAVE TO HAVE to save their own lives. Abortion is statically safer that pregnancy and giving birth.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
nevermind

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

The feminism and pro abortion groups where " thank god for abortion" t shirts and " I'm proud of my abortion" t shirts.

What does that say to you?

Can you give me a link to some of this? I just used my google-fu on several search engines and didn't find tee shirt providers selling this as a shirt and no pictures of this gear.

Got photos?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
Contraception of all kinds is good and should be used. Thankfully it IS available to all, albeit for some to get their preferred method of contraception may be a little harder or more difficult than others. Most of the time getting the thing you prefer in life over the free thing is a little harder.

So what have you (as a man) been using and how have you been educating your friends/brothers/sons to ALWAYS use this unless they want children?

Most men I talk to say it's "the woman's responsibility" and then go on to assume that any time they want sex, the woman wanted sex and wanted a baby. I am firmly convinced we need to educate more men about "WRAP IT UP" policies.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

By no means is it the only place. But it could be the only place for some that they can actually get to. Other places that they could go to are not as specialized as they do other things as well.

Just wonder why texas isn't going after all the other places that offer the same services as PP.
One might think this is purely political because of that.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Some experts believe that having pregnancies too close together doesn't give the mother time to recover after losing nutrients such as iron and folate after pregnancy and breastfeeding. This is called maternal depletion syndrome.

Back-to-back pregnancies can deplete essential nutrients, making mothers at higher risk for anemia and other complications such as uterine rupture, and also putting their babies at risk of low birth weight and preterm birth.

"Taking care of someone who has had a significant number of children, once you get past two to three children, the risks increase for complications like postpartum hemorrhage," Shaw said.

After numerous pregnancies, the uterus "is not as taut," said Shaw, who has visited clinics in Mozambique, Bangladesh and Tanzania. "So the more children you have, the more likely you have a significant complication. The chances of having the baby not lying in the right position when going into the labor, that's more common."

After several pregnancies, the uterine muscles could fail to contract after delivery, which is the most common cause of postpartum hemorrhage. This excessive blood loss can be stopped with medical attention and immediate treatment such as a blood transfusion. But in many countries, these resources are not available. There may not be hospital staff, or even infrastructure to transport patients safely to the hospitals. The families may be unable to pay for hospital fees.

www.cnn.com...

yes this story is written about third world countries, and not about women in the US. But I would contend that one of the major reasons we aren't seeing more of these kinds of complications is that women are using birth control and not opting to have as many children. The idea that birth control shouldn't be treated as an important part of the healthcare system is oh so wrong! And if the gov't is providing funds for the medical needs of people like they do in the US, then birth control should be covered along with those medical needs. There is no justification not to!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
another one:

Which is why I’m excited about a study published late last year of 40,454 mothers who gave birth to a total of 125,842 children in contemporary Jerusalem. Uri P. Dior and a team of Israeli collaborators followed mothers for up to 37 years after the birth of their first child. And the results provide evidence that having lots of children can hasten a mother’s mortality.

Mums who bore between two and four children were at lowest risk of mortality from all causes. Mothers who had five or more children lived shorter lives, on average. Analysis of the three types of disease responsible for most deaths showed that risks of cancer, circulatory disease and heart disease all rose dramatically in mums who had five or more children.

In fact, mothers with between five and nine kids had about two and a half times the risk of dying of heart disease or circulatory disease as mothers with fewer than five children.

theconversation.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

When Louisiana wanted to pull planned parenthood funding and went to court the first time claiming that there were plenty of places that women could go for these needs....they produced a list of 2,010 providers that could fill this need, that included dentists, nursing homes, and eye doctors! The court didn't buy it, and well the state had to draw up another list.... the new list consisted of just 29 providers.

Wow only 29? I didn't know that Louisiana only had 29 people who could do this. They must have no General practitioners, gynecologist or nurse practitioners at all. I said before if a state goes this way they need to fill in the gap. Once again, why can not a poor person with Obamacare go to a GYN? My wife goes to a GYN, or to their personal doctor for most of it?

I am kind of left to fend for myself....
so don't tell me that we are all covered by obamacare!

Wait Obamacare isn't working...hmmm

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

By no means is it the only place. But it could be the only place for some that they can actually get to. Other places that they could go to are not as specialized as they do other things as well.

Just wonder why texas isn't going after all the other places that offer the same services as PP.
One might think this is purely political because of that.

One would think if they were worried about baby parts they could limit funding in just that one area. I personally think abortions are used too much as birth control on the part of the woman and profit generating enterprise for the place that performs them.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Is your wive's health care provided by an employer? Does her employer have a religious objection to birth control? If that's the case, then she wouldn't be able to see her regular GYN for a birth control prescription. She'd have to rely on Title X and go a Planned Parenthood clinic or some other clinic endowed by Title X. Such is the case with Medicaid. Those clients have to go to providers that accept their insurance. Your wive GYN probably doesn't accept Medicaid, and refers such women to Planned Parenthood, or some other Title X endowed clinic.

Many states, such a Texas, have rejected the ACA offer to pay for Medicaid extension services, so many low income women in those states can't even get "ObamaCare" in those states.

ObamaCare Medicaid Expansion

• About half of the uninsured in America would be covered by Medicaid Expansion if all states opted in.

• More than 15 million men, women, and children will be eligible for Medicaid in States that participate in Medicaid Expansion.

• Because 24 States have not expanded Medicaid, 5.7 million people will be uninsured in 2016.

Low income women who reside in states that have "opted out" rely on Title X for their family planning needs. Defunding Planned Parenthood is an attack on them.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Is your wive's health care provided by an employer? Does her employer have a religious objection to birth control? If that's the case, then she wouldn't be able to see her regular GYN for a birth control prescription. She'd have to rely on Title X and go a Planned Parenthood clinic or some other clinic endowed by Title X. Such is the case with Medicaid. Those clients have to go to providers that accept their insurance. Your wive GYN probably doesn't accept Medicaid, and refers such women to Planned Parenthood, or some other Title X endowed clinic.

Defunding Planned Parenthood is an attack on them.

In Louisiana I looked up 67 Title X providers not PP. I'm on the fence over PP as to whether corrupt situations can/has happen. As I said before the state should provide the care especially if PP is removed, so someone needs to fill in the gap then.

There is the other option, buy your own at 50 bucks a month...lol I'm sure poor people do not buy liqueur or cigarettes either...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Mmmm....I wonder what women did with the body parts of babies they aborted themselves before abortion was legal. Since human history.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join