It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two NYPD officers shot in the Bronx; suspect kills himself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The shooter/deceased, took his owN life. (Good night, good ridence) was a career criminal, 17 arrests. I don't think the shooter was at harms way, just a simple ped check.

He had a sawed off shotgun in his duffle bag. Who knows what his intentions were for that day; I do wonder why he felt he needed to fire upon the officers, and if he just woke up that morning and thought he would put the cigarette out, before the day was over.... Glad the officers did not have life threatening wounds...

The shooter, who sources and the man’s friends identified as 23-year-old Malik Chavis, then ran into a seventh-floor apartment, where he told pals, “I just shot a policewoman. I ain’t going back to jail,” a police official said.

Chavis, has 17 prior arrests and was released from prison in December 2014 after doing time for attempted robbery, records show.

The wounded cops were rushed to nearby Lincoln Hospital.

The officers are assigned to Police Service Area 7 and have been on the job for two years, according to First Deputy Commissioner Benjamin Tucker.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

“This goes to show the dangers police officers face each and every day. This shows the complex nature in which we work. It shows the difficulty and danger of vertical patrols in our buildings.”

Vertical patrols, entering stairwells, often darkened, in close quarters and climbing to the top. Since drug dealing was driven from the street corner, it moved indoors to the stair wells, protected at lower levels by armed members of gangs on lookout.

There must be some less dangerous way to encounter armed suspects than entering blind cornered stairwells, asking for trouble.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

don't worry, another couple years and it'll be Robots doing those types of jobs

#RoboCop #ImNotTalkingAboutSylvester #ManVsMachine #DangerWillRobinson #INeedToSeeYourPapers #RobotVoice

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Without a doubt, this happened in an area of the Bronx that's full of "oppressed" folk that wonder why the police are so heavy handed.

Good riddance to this piece of trash.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

don't worry, another couple years and it'll be Robots doing those types of jobs

#RoboCop #ImNotTalkingAboutSylvester #ManVsMachine #DangerWillRobinson #INeedToSeeYourPapers #RobotVoice

Do they do stairs yet? One of the hardest remaining tasks for the bots is ladders and stairs. One reason they haven't utilized robots more to clean up Fuku and the reason these vertical patrols won't be as effective.

Terminator 1 at the end and, Robocop when the droid falls. Too funny. Poor asimo…

But they have the solution… unperfected as yet. Not that you won't hear him clumping up the stars from a mile away.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Terminator 1 at the end and, Robocop when the droid falls.

That was ED209. That was one cool robot. Imagine a whole battlefield of those things. Hopefully they would work better than the demo unit in RoboCop.

Do they do stairs yet?

There are some tracked vehicles that can now negotiate stairs and other obstacles. I think some law enforcement and the military are using these for recon.

-dex

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

The humanoid droid as combat machine will be vulnerable to direct fire. Modern main battle tanks look the way they do from necessity.

M1As, remotely operated or autonomous (autopilot, like drones are now).

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The humanoid droid as combat machine will be vulnerable to direct fire. Modern main battle tanks look the way they do from necessity.

Good point. A couple of relatively spindly legs would make it rather easy for the enemy to neutralize it.

But it would still be one heck of a psychological weapon though! That is until they blow off one of its legs and it start break dancing on the ground.

-dex

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

But it would still be one heck of a psychological weapon though! That is until they blow off one of its legs and it start break dancing on the ground.

I'd lure it to the stairway. Robot temper tantrums…

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Why do we give someone 17 chances?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
There must be some less dangerous way to encounter armed suspects than entering blind cornered stairwells, asking for trouble.

Any kid with a $60 drone and some good flying skills could navigate a stairwell, seeing what's in there with the attached camera.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
But the 'suspects' or lookouts if you will would hear the drone coming and bag ass. Or spray fire extinguisher down the well.

The drone operator still have to open the door, as well.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

True, but even clearing the stairwell would be better than going in blind without making anyone intent on doing harm leave the area.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

True, but even clearing the stairwell would be better than going in blind without making anyone intent on doing harm leave the area.

I think they are trying to catch them, though. Thats why the patrols. These are lookouts for gang related (read that illegal) activities. They run and are back again the next night. Since locking the stairwells is a safety hazard, they have to remain open and patrolled.

I (sorta like) the scenes in The Fifth Element

"This is a police patrol…" ushering in the total police state.

edit on 3-3-2016 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Ah yes..."The Fifth Element." I worked at a movie theater back in 1997 when that came out. Good movie, IMO.

But see, you're missing the point of having police presence in an area--not only is it to catch people who commit crimes, but it's also to deter people from committing them because they know that police are always there or could be at any time. You scare away criminals enough, the constant threat of being caught will make them move on to somewhere else.

Yes, that's like kicking the can down the road to the next section-eight stairwell, but if you do it enough, the criminals either leave, find a different way to distribute their product, or get caught.

All three of those options are better than just being allowed to take control of a building because LEOs are reluctant to enter the building and do their job, lest they get shot for trying to keep that area safe.

Of course, we could stop the war on drugs and then the whole problem dissolves away (in theory). But that's just hopes and dreams.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I hear you, battle of attrition.

The lookouts in the stairwell and the cops know this game well. The problem is they just sound the alarm and disappear not an apartment, or one their operation, (theres lots of stairwells) or shoot.

Can't see a solution in front of me but more dead officers, they have a winning tactic there.

Unless you seal the whole building and search every apartment on every floor… still won't work, they rope the dope by line to the next building over. Can't dismantle the whole hood…

Drugs are a persistent evil because of addiction and the enormous profit margin.

Edit: By the by, best wishes for your daughters problem, know how hard that can be.

edit on 4-3-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I appreciate the best wishes for my issue with my daughter--I hope that I didn't misconstrue the tone of your comment to which I reacted with...well, we'll call it "intensity." If I did, I apologize.

Actually, concerning her, we had our first uninterrupted night of sleep (except for my damn meowing cat...she has a hyperthyroid issue that I think is causing her incessant meowing) in probably 1.5 months last night. It was magical. My wife took her swimming yesterday and then limited her nap to only 1.5 hours instead of the usual 2.5+ hours. Hopefully this keeps up, and it'll give us all good sleep and I'll be less "intense" in my responses to people.

As far as your comments about criminals--we'll never catch them all, but we can't give up trying. There's no perfect way to handle it, but I think the less that we put our LEOs into harm's way, the better, so if technology saves lives--even if it just scares away the criminals on the majority of occasions--I think it's worth using, because eventually criminals slip up, even if we just get them on tax evasion.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Wonderful about your daughter, more exercise and less nap is brilliant.

Maybe people will wake up and stop doing drugs so much.

Hard road, been down there.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
if the young thug believed he could not escape justice by the expedient of killing himself to remove himself from the reach of human justice (which he believes is the only justice he has to dodge) he might have had an incentive not to kill himself or for that matter to have been a thug in the first place. but alas its not considered modern to believe in an afterlife. Parents had this insane idea that they should wait for a child to be an adult so that they could choose whether to believe or not; not knowing that faith comes from hearing the word of God. But this thug has now discovered he cannot escape justice and that there is no defense attorney that can get him off on a technicality before this Judge and no chance of a light sentence, reprieve or parole.

But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall have no way to flee, and their hope shall be the giving up of the ghost.

Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.

It'd be nice if men could be good for the sake of being good and that the desire to do what is good was a natural function of being human but it isn't. Man (of his own) is an animal with animal lusts. It is the inspiration of the holy spirit that allows a man to overcome his animal limitations and propensity for evil.

top topics

join