It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Have A 'Fundamental Right' To Own Assault Weapons, Court Rules

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well thank you Maryland for 'getting it' . I suppose we will not be losing our guns after all. Take that ObamaStein Clinton Giffords!
MSN< br />

In a major victory for gun rights advocates, a federal appeals court on Thursday sided with a broad coalition of gun owners, businesses and organizations that challenged the constitutionality of a Maryland ban on assault weapons and other laws aimed at curbing gun violence.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit said the state's prohibition on what the court called "the vast majority of semi-automatic rifles commonly kept by several million American citizens" amounted to a violation of their rights under the Constitution.

"In our view, Maryland law implicates the core protection of the Second Amendment -- the right of law-abiding responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home," Chief Judge William Traxler wrote in the divided ruling.

Provisions that outlaw these firearms, Traxler wrote, "substantially burden this fundamental right."

This of course, is in stark contrast to Chicago, Illinois
Supreme Court Won’t Hear Challenge to Assault Weapons Ban in Chicago Suburb

edit on 2/5/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I guess they are setting up a scenario where the Supreme Court is going to have to rule again.

Either way it's crazy that the media, in general, is more interested in pushing an agenda than properly educating the public that any weapon is an "assault" weapon when it is being used in an assault. Otherwise it's just a weapon.

Would also be better if these gun grabbers focused on gang intervention programs to reduce gun violence. Then they will be fixing a real problem.
edit on 5-2-2016 by gpols because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is welcome news....I hope the anti gun coalition gets the message...but im sure it aint over.....

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
"Assault Weapon" is a bit of a misnomer designed for political purposes. Rather, they are just semi-automatic rifles. Semi-automatic handguns account for most gun fatalities in the US. Are they assault handguns? Doesnt make much sense really,

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Agreed, and it appears the courts made sure to define that, so I bold and underlined. The headline was likely worded that way by the editor/writer of the article.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Yay more guns!

Just one more step to making the world happier place

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
In Iraq, under occupation, each household was permitted ONE Kalash.

So, Iraqi citizens have more rights than Americans?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

Our President seems to think that apparently , Maybe an underlying agenda ?

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The quote has been posted many times, but as a pre-emptive measure against the gun banning crowd, it bears re-posting:

"Guns would be needed to disarm people. So it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. You’re very pro-gun; you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions."

-Stefan Molyneux

Legal gun ownership isn't dangerous. It isn't paranoid. It's not unreasonable. It's security for myself and my family, and ultimately, defense against those who would terrorize and enslave all of us and our descendants. There will come a day when humans destroy all our weapons and achieve world peace... but it is not today.

Don't like firearms? Good for you, don't get one.
Don't want to live in a place where your neighbors can legally purchase firearms? Grand, live somewhere else.
edit on 252016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

The problem is, we're all already enslaved and guns and force were not even needed. A gun might be a solution if you're like the frog that you throw into boiling water, but we're being slowly cooked. At some point there is going to be a zoo-like place for people who want to have guns, and they will be naked and without a roof. Guns are useless against ideas and manipulation, shock strategy and all that.

I should add that I don't live in the US and I don't own guns.
edit on 5-2-2016 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

It's like a bastard is only an Assault Bastard when he's three ways drunk and shooting the place up. The rest of the time, he's just a bastard.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

that was an entertaining description.

In any case, it falls back to a position of removing a challenge to absolute control.

Sword Hunts of Japan

Prior to the sword hunt called by Oda Nobunaga towards the end of the 16th century, civilians were free to carry swords for defense or simply for decoration. Nobunaga sought an end to this, and ordered the seizure of swords and a variety of other weapons from civilians, in particular the Ikkō-ikki peasant-monk leagues which sought to overthrow samurai rule.

In 1588, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, having become kampaku or "imperial regent", ordered a new sword hunt; Hideyoshi, like Nobunaga, sought to solidify separations in the class structure, denying commoners weapons while allowing them to the nobility, the samurai class. In addition, Toyotomi's sword hunt, like Nobunaga's, was intended to prevent peasant uprisings and to deny weapons to his adversaries. This hunt may have been inspired by a peasant uprising in Higo the year prior, but also served to disarm the sōhei of Mount Kōya and Tōnomine. Toyotomi claimed that the confiscated weapons would be melted down and used to create a giant image of the Buddha for the Asuka-dera monastery in Nara.

"Taikō's Sword Hunt", as it came to be called, was accompanied by a number of other edicts, including the Expulsion Edict of 1590, by which Toyotomi sought to establish a census and expel from villages any newcomers who arrived in or after 1590. The chief goal of this was to place a check on the threat posed by rōnin, masterless wandering samurai who had the potential not only for crime and violence in general, but for banding together to overthrow Toyotomi rule. Hideyoshi, like most of this period, believed in rule by edict, paying little or no attention to legal principles. (or perhaps, rule by executive order)?

While the Sword Hunt ostensibly succeeded in denying weapons to potential rebels, it also created discontent throughout the nation, increasing the number and passion of potential rebels.

Sounds like there are some parallels here with Feudal Japan, from a historic point of view.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Yay!! Once again, we get to piss off the anti gun crowd!

Why is it so hard for you to understand that we enjoy shootings guns for a variety of reasons, be it skeet, paper targets, competition or to put food on the table? Or that we choose not to be defenseless, when trouble comes calling? We are not so afraid to defend ourselves that we would sit quivering in a closet, clutching a phone and hoping against all logic that the police will get there in time.

Why is it so hard to understand that more restrictive gun laws will only be followed by, gasp! Law Abiding Citizens. Criminals do not and will not, anymore than they already do.
As bad as you think it is now, what do you think would happen if every law abiding gun owner turned their's in and only criminals had guns? Because if there were a ban, that's exactly what would happen.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You go for it mate.

I think you should try to legalize grenades, explosives, rpg's and missiles.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I'm curious as to what kind of weapon isn't an assault weapon.

edit on 5-2-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

I tought it was only one gun, Kalashnikov or otherwise. That would mean a household would only be allowed one gun, not even one per able bodied adult; so I would say that no they did not have more rights than US.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Yay more guns!

Just one more step to making the world happier place

Agreed.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: DAVID64

You go for it mate.

I think you should try to legalize grenades, explosives, rpg's and missiles.

I agree, I'm all for it. I like the way you think, PhoenixOD!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I don't. And there's not a responsible gun owner out there who does. I take the subject very seriously, not a subject for one liners and sarcasm.
Although I'm guessing by "mate", you're not from around here anyway, right?

Oh...explosives...

You should try it!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I'm really sorry this bothers you so much...

Just for you, I won't go to the range Saturday.

...and I will go for it, thank you. Next fall when the hunting seasons open up, I'll be out Upland bird hunting, and duck hunting.

I will continue to have fun going to the range and shooting at targets shaped like very dangerous circles. I might even go skeet shooting, haven't done that since I was much younger than I am now.

Since I have you permission, and all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join