It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex. Is it what it seems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Is sex the main way we screw up? Power and money sit in second and third place in my opinion.
Is this just a product of our biology, or is it a design produced by others?
I vote number 2.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
Is sex the main way we screw up?

Yes. And down and sideways, too.

Sex can be awesome. It is also so much more than what people normally think of when they hear the word.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I have always noticed, that no matter where I work, people are getting it on with each other, sometimes at work, even when they are married or have partners!! I prefer swinger lifestyle myself. Very liberating and fulfilling.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Attraction (or more), and how we discuss it, can get one into trouble in a certain settings.
Sex as a mutually agreed upon act, no.

Power or money attract people to it, just as sex or procreation (depending on intent) will.
As procreation is the only biological function addressed, I would say power and money are the forces that corrupt.
And as long as attraction doesn't result in harassment or abuse, it should be viewed as natural.

Or am I mis-understanding the question from the OP.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

What's today?
OK Oct 2005.. having not been on a date since.. well. Life is both boring and increasingly better in the brains.
My problem is I put absolute trust in another... but I get screwed in the end. So I built a wall so big, Donald Trump says, damn that's a wall!

That is very personal to each individual.

I want to feel that one's guard is brought down. Then another is able to exploit it.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The act itself is great. Mistakes are made in choosing the person or persons you commit the act with. It took me a few flattened tires, keyed cars, bricks through the window, and bullet holes in the wall to figure this out.
Don't take in every stray. Some of them may have rabies.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Lol.. I still can't find the screw to fix things

''Make love, not war"
edit on 5-2-2016 by Holdup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

holy crap!

what kinda people do you date? LOL

jk!

Is this just a product of our biology, or is it a design produced by others?

Both...but todays society is very sexual

Sex sells, and you can't help but see it everywhere...

but even when it wasn't like this, people were gettin some

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Sheesh!

Know what. I got it easy. Yep. I'll stay away.. holy cow!

Edit: Akragon.
Guilt seems to be a big factor now. I'm not religious. But guilt is a big issue for me. I have to respectfully bow out of this thread. Yes I'm mature enough. But guilt is a big public burden. Because everyone trys to make it their business.
Weird I know. 😕
edit on 5-2-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Sex is not even on the top one hundred of ways I screw up. It's one of the rare things in my life that I do not make errors at in a statistically relevant manner.

There again, I do not get much of that sort of thing, so I have to make the opportunity work for both parties in the best possible fashion when the chance comes along. That's just a product of my being a hairy man-beast. I am sure one of those hilarious individuals who waxes his chest hair and drinks home made smoothies with kale in them probably gets more chances than me.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Wow you beat me! Last time I even kissed someone is getting on for 9 years. It does make me sad sometimes not to have that close contact with a man but then its not really the sex I miss but more the cuddles, lying safe in someone's arms and feeling safe and loved. Trouble is a lot of toads need kissing to find that special one and I think I have kissed one to many toads in my life so feel safer alone on my lillipad waiting for someone to come and find me!a reply to: Bigburgh

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Sex, power and money are just things we are hard wired to be motivated by.

Mating rights, social status, territorial rights and access to food are necessary for survival and reproduction, and those being built in automatic systems in our bodies is a good thing. It keeps containers available.

They also make us vulnerable to manipulation by others, or can malfunction because of user mistakes ( the mind and it's decisions).

The concept of "mistake", however, would need to be examined closer......

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Sex is a powerful thing and we have become entirely too flippant about it.

Despite what society would like, there is no such thing as "no strings attached sex." And no matter how much we love our safe sex, there is no 100% birth control either.

So yeah, we live in a hyper sexualized world encouraged to engage in an act with anyone and everyone and it causes a lot of problems.

That doesn't mean sex is bad. It does mean our approach to it likely is.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sex is wonderful. But its the individual person who determines whether "They themselves " Screw up. It's in peoples own hands if they want to fall into the traps of affairs and promiscuous relations. Im highly sexed, But i would never dream of cheating on my partner because i simply love her and can control myself. Unfortunately many cannot.

The Seventh Commandment is recorded in Exodus 20:14: “You shall not commit adultery.” This timeless law has never been more relevant than today....Right just gonna put my clothes back on!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
To me, sex is a very normal mammal-based activity and yet, it's been a mystery to me all my life as I'm a mostly asexual 46/male and I've never actually banged before. I have never seen a person in life and thought "I want them" or anything like that.
That doesn't stop me from regularly masturbating. But even in my fantasies, I don't think about sexual activity with people of either sex. It feels good if not often great! and it's normal and healthy to release your sexual urges through masturbation.

From what I can tell, people hook up all the time on a whim and there definitely seems to be an underlying obsession with sex in our society. People talk about it ALL the time. I frequently wonder how anything actually gets done with how preoccupied with sex humans seem to be. It's a world I do not understand.

Is it a problem? I say yes, to a degree only because human overpopulation is such a gigantic problem on Earth. People cannot appear to control themselves sexually at least from 17-25(any generation) due to that instinctual drive to reproduce and we have an incredibly serious issue on our hands now.

Another way sex is problematic is the power plays made through it. That's honestly something to consider. People use it to get ahead or have some form of control in situations. (maybe that's why I don't have a better occupational position in my life!
)

Many of the problems that derive from sexual acts such as certain Eastern practices are due more to religion and belief systems and stem from jealousy and our(usually male) human tendency to see a sexual partner as something that belongs to us. People are not generally monogamist by nature and the way we have set our societies up to be monogamist has caused a great deal of issues. We really need to get those standards removed.

Ultimately though, it's still a very normal animal instinct which is why it is so prevalent in our society that's never going to go away because we're mammals too. Sex in itself is healthy and fun. It's the other aspects that create the problems.

For me, I've accepted I'll never have a female companion because today, they all seem to expect sex and really, really soon. People see me as strange I guess and that probably hurts me socially. I've learned that in our society, people equate sex as love and love as impossible without it. It's been quite interesting to observe through the years.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheDoctor46

well its not adultery if all parties are consenting. Although, since swingers do swap partners now and then, or just allow their partners to have a good time (lovely understanding adults
) it may still fall under coveting.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Sex is a powerful thing and we have become entirely too flippant about it.
That's an opinion I guess.

Despite what society would like, there is no such thing as "no strings attached sex." And no matter how much we love our safe sex, there is no 100% birth control either.
Vasectomy is 100%, and I enjoy lots of 'no strings' sex, one female friend a good many years now so speak for yourself eh.

So yeah, we live in a hyper sexualized world encouraged to engage in an act with anyone and everyone and it causes a lot of problems.
Yeah, stupid folk who do not practice safe sex with barrier methods of contraception are likely to encounter problems.

That doesn't mean sex is bad. It does mean our approach to it likely is.
Sex is safe and recreational for me and my enjoyment of recreational sex has not caused me any problems over the years, aside from a one night stand who became pregnant and I stupidly hadn't worn a condom after believing her when she said she was on the pill.
I manned up though, went through the pregnancy with her, moved in together, then when the baby was born and the DNA test was carried out, I was not the father, it was the guy 2 weeks before me.

I stayed with her and contributed to an amazing 7 year start to life for the little one, the sex was absolutely the best I've ever enjoyed with anyone. Lesson learned though, never believe a woman if she says she's on the pill, and always wear a condom.
Thank # for DNA tests, lying women are no longer able to trap men to raise another man's child.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Sounds like multitasking to me

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheDoctor46
its such pleasant multi-tasking indeed

We have to make as much use of these hands as we can after all, and everything else of course...

new topics

top topics

join