It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEED YOUR HELP! i need a new gaming lap top, need your input

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hello all.

I have a budget of 1500 with a MAX of 2000 to spend on a gaming lap top.

This isn't for me it's for a relative, he is in 11th grade and LOVES gaming. He needs a new laptop but he needs to be able to play games on it.

what are your guys think is the best and why.

thank you for your help you are helping make someone very happy and they deserves this.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I would suggest an MSI, they have a variety of gaming laptop's.

I just bought an MSI GT72, which is the high end and most expensive at 2300, though you can get a very nice one for a lower price.

LINKY
edit on 4-2-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Though I won't be of any help, DONT BUT ALIENWARE.

Alienware is overpriced and disliked around the pc gaming community. You can ask around such gaming forums and people will tell you the same.

Actually, a laptop you could look into is the Razer Blade Stealth. The base price is $999.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm an owner of a GT70, it's an older model. Served me well and overall I'm happy with it.

If your gonna get an MSI or any other gaming laptop make sure it has dual fans for cooling!
One for the processor and another for the graphics card. MUST!
Mine has single cooling and it just doesn't cut it. It overheats and then the fan constantly runs on 100 percent.
Its just loud.

I'll probably buy another MSI around 1500. They make quality nice laptops with power. Little bit of both looks and power.
Alienware to me is all looks, and to get what the MSI has you'd have to spend an extra 500 or a grand.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I couldn't give you any useful information when it comes to laptop gaming other than make sure it has a decent cooling system and a dedicated graphics card (not integrated), but mostly make sure he is 100% certain a PC won't do instead. You will get a much more powerful PC than you would a laptop for the same price.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Go to pcpartpicker.com...

...and select the components you'd like individually and use the chart to make sure they're compatible.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I don't do much gaming but my gaming friends seem to approve of the ASUS ROG line (Republic of Gaming). In any event, make sure to pay extra attention to the GPU, something like an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M or 980M.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

...and select the components you'd like individually and use the chart to make sure they're compatible.

One does not simply assemble a laptop

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Asus G75vx... I love mine... you can probably get one for under $1000 now. there are newer models but they will be more expensive.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

True.He probably meant a desktop,though😃

I'm a Gigabyte fanboi,so guess what I'd recommend...

Whatever you buy,it MUST have at least an NVidia 970m,integrated graphics are poo,no matter what's printed on the box.

edit on 5-2-2016 by Ericthedoubter because: Lies!Untruths!Does anyone even read this?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

originally posted by: rexsblues

One does not simply assemble a laptop

You can on the manufacturers website.Like in the Alienware series. You pick processor , memory type , screen ...etc. all individually. They build it to your specs.

To the OP: To me the "gaming laptop" is as mythical as a unicorn.
You can build a "killer" gaming machine for less than you pay for 1/2 the power you get in a laptop.

edit on 5-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

I couldn't give you any useful information when it comes to laptop gaming other than make sure it has a decent cooling system and a dedicated graphics card (not integrated), but mostly make sure he is 100% certain a PC won't do instead. You will get a much more powerful PC than you would a laptop for the same price.

For sure.

You might almost be able to build him a solid gaming desktop AND buy him a capable laptop if you work at it.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I'm against gaming laptop unless you have a lot of money to spend. They are quickly outdated and you can't really upgrade them when you need more power.

I recommend a gaming desktop and a moderate laptop for less demanding gaming

you'll get a solid year before its outdated and you'll also have problems with heat.

I guess it depends on what kinda gaming you wanna do. My computer is on par with a PS4 and i've made very little upgrade in the last 4 years.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My advise would be to purchase a $400 laptop and build a $1600 desktop.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I guess it depends on what kinda gaming you wanna do. My computer is on par with a PS4 and i've made very little upgrade in the last 4 years.

I am putting the finishing bits together for a PC that should be right above a PS4 or XBone in capability, so I should be covered for most games for a while.

Because so many big name developers cater to the console, they rarely outpace what a solid PC built to be just a bit better than a console can handle. Sure you will need to upgrade, but the pace has drastically slowed over what it used to be.

The one thing that could change this is VR capability which could start putting the ball back in the PC court again.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have very little interest in VR anyways but I'm thankful for PC settings so i can adjust my own FPS. I have zero reason to ever buy a console since almost all game come to STEAM/PC and i have a gamepad and its hooked up to my big TV in the living room

PC master race

I don't agree with spending big money on a laptop since I have a smartphone. unless i had lots of extra money which never seems to be that case these days

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
As someone who got alienware in 11th grade, it was the absolute coolest thing I'd ever gotten. It had performance problems, but that's because I didn't do enough research on processors, RAM, display, etc. But even then, I was never NOT able to run a graphics heavy game on ultra quality (i dont do co-op though and I'm not sure if that puts more stress on the system). No regrets other than the display I chose.

But the aesthetic and lighting options are undeniably cool like it surprises me how much that made up for the cons.
I did have a techie friend who built his own laptop for editing and gaming and I still liked mine better lol.

But I'm an artist and I love style so... the techies all have good points ngl.
edit on 5-2-2016 by themsheep because: clarification on the co-op bit

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Gaming and laptops don't mix.

You're going to pay $1500 for a build that is equal to a $600-700 desktop and pay more down the road when it goes obsolete in 3-5 years.

In this age, the rate of innovation in electronics is moving too fast for a laptop to be viable for anything besides Internet and work. Today it will run and look great, but next year it may not even be able to run a AAA title on minimum settings. To make it be able to you're going to have to pay a greater price just for upgrades also.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Ahhh...I knew it would happen.

The "but don't you think a p.c is better" brigade.

Pray, how does he game on the move, take it to school, on a car journey etc....

I agree a gaming p.c is better value but a laptop servers a specific purpose, does it not?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Godabove09
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Ahhh...I knew it would happen.

The "but don't you think a p.c is better" brigade.

Pray, how does he game on the move, take it to school, on a car journey etc....

I agree a gaming p.c is better value but a laptop servers a specific purpose, does it not?

Except I never said any of that you internet warrior.

I never once said desktop gaming was better, nor that laptops serve no purpose, just that you could get a more powerful rig for the same price - which you already agreed is true.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join