It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: The New And Improved SETI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
SETI in recent decades has gotten little support in its programs. Recently SETI has acquired new budgeting and new equipment that will boost their search and widen its expansion.

www.cnn.com
It's an easy question: a query that the media frequently pose, and for obvious reasons. It would be nice to say, "well, we detected three Type II civilizations last week, but they weren't especially interesting," and sometimes I do this for effect.

But of course it's not true, and until it is, some people assume that there's nothing new with SETI. Wrong.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I know that in recent years, the SETI has dwindled, but with the help of the Hubble to give us new insight on the galaxy, the possibilities of searching further will greatly enhance chances. If there is another solar system out there likes ours, where there are others like us, hopefully we will be able get some sort of signal out to them. It will be exciting to know if there is something out there and hopefully we will receive something in the near future. This could change the world and possibly stop these radical wars and give the world a new focus and possibly give us something to work together on, rather than fight against each other.

Related News Links:
www.seti.org
www.space.com

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I am a SETI skeptic. Unless the transmitting civilizations are within a few to a few dozen light years, there is a good chance that the source of a transmission does not even exist anymore. In my opinion, societies that do not learn to travel faster than light are doomed in the long run, ourselves included. Also, there are several instances of SETI picking up signals, and then not being able to reproduce them coming from the same portion of the sky. These reports are summarily dismissed but could we be dropping the ball here?

I do think SETI is a worthwhile endeavor despite my misgivings, but I think that any truly advanced civilization will develope a better means of communicating rather than radio signals.

EDIT: Just to add to what you have said, I do think that a signal from outer space would unify mankind, for the most part.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I think the question is "how long do societies use radio communication that we could detect with our present technologies?" An advanced civilization with some type of FTL travel would require a FTL communciation system, like subspace transmissions on Star Trek. We would have no way of detecting these transmissions.

join