It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have Jury Duty

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Should top it off with a Trump hat

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy)

Youll sit all day going from case to case where each one (different) will ask you questions about your beliefs and opinions. They may take you, or you go back and sit down and wait for another interview and see if they pick you.

Maybe none will...it depends on how they decide if youre a good fit to be on that case, for the right reasons. (theirs) Its slightly different in places, but usually follows as I described.

Like in Detroit once, I sat for 8 hrs and went to 6 interviews. Sometime they dont let you know what kind of case youre being interviewed for. That way they get honest answers. ie: "How do you feel about smash and grab robberies?"...or "Have YOU ever gotten a ticket for going the wrong way?".

Even..."Do you think marijuana should be legalized?"

Good luck....

edit on 3-2-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

It's my first time, so I'll take it seriously, but I still want to have fun. You don't always have to be serious in order to do serious stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Small town, rural county here.

So the questions might be more like, "Do you think Hank should have let his cows out?"

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've never been selected. I never get chosen because my father was a cop.

The last time I got called up I actually wanted to get picked. However, my wife was due to give birth at any day, so I told the judge IDGAF about the case, I'm not missing the birth of my son. I was dismissed.

I actually wanted to participate though because it was a gun case. Basically, some felon got caught with a gun. Really wanted to hear his story.

One of the more interesting things was one of the potential jurors was really combative and basically told the judge she could not be impartial. The defendent was a young black guy. Caught with an illegal firearm. Already a convicted felon. Anyway, the combative juror was an older black woman. Basically, she was a typical hoodrat with like five kids. She really didn't like the police and had kids who were currently in jail. She went on and on about corrupt cops in Chicago, planting evidence, etc. Even though I thought she was full of it, I admired her gumption for sticking to her position.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's my first time, so I'll take it seriously, but I still want to have fun. You don't always have to be serious in order to do serious stuff.

I wasn't criticizing you. My apologies if it sounded like I was.

I thought jury duty was pretty cool when I did it. I was rejected for jury duty 10 years or so ago. The funny thing is, I actually wanted to do it back then too.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I also live in a small community/county. I've been on a jury twice in the past 15 yrs. Once for an assault case (which was a questionable girlfriend/boyfriend drunk fight) and once for an accused child abuse case (which we all agreed that we suspected the mother instead of the accused ex-boyfriend). Both very interesting experiences.
edit on 3-2-2016 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I don't get mail service where I live, so I have a P.O. box in a town that's a bit of a drive from where I am. Only make it that way to check mail every few weeks or so.

Last time I picked up mail, at around 2pm, I had a jury summons for that very morning at 8am. Obviously I missed that. The summons was strongly worded, threatening a bench warrant and contempt of court charges for failure to appear. In a slight panic, called the number on the summons to man up and explain, see if I needed to turn myself in or what.

Turns out the trial was delayed two weeks, was told to call back then and find out what was going to happen. I didn't really want to miss work for jury duty, but in that time I watched the series "Making a Murderer" and figured, what the hell, maybe I can prevent something like that from happening.

Two weeks later, found out the trial was canceled, and I was off the hook. Oh well, probably wasn't that important.

Just glad I didn't have a warrant issued over the whole thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I hadn't given thought to the other jurors.

I imagine they'll be my "peers".

Interesting to think that if I deliberate, it'd be similar to debates here.

Arguing evidence, determining intent.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

It's good. I don't want to make light of it, but at my age, a new experience is rare!

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Too funny! lol! On the plus side? You know, at least you may get picked and really find it interesting. And it is a chance to be a tiny part of the system!

Good luck.....

*(Never know...it might be "Would you be upset if someone broke in and milked ole Bessie on you at midnight?" "Or moved the sheep into the horse paddock and horses into the cow barn!")

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I served on jury duty years ago. I get a call for jury duty almost every 3 years. Once you serve it seems like your name is at the top of the list. It's really an eye opener if you've never served on a jury before. Debating if there's enough evidence to convict can sometimes become heated among jurors. Beyond unreasonable doubt weighs heavy on everyone's mind. Nobody wants to send an innocent person to jail.

Our case involved a young man being convicted for selling drugs and resisting arrest. It only lasted 2 days. The kid was leaving for the Marines the next day.

Here's what surprised me. Since the prosecution was trying to convict him on selling, we couldn't convict him with possession. The guidelines are very strict on what your deciding on guilt. There wasn't enough evidence to prove he was intent on selling so we had to vote for not guilty. We had one lady holding out, and yours truly had to reason with her on why there wasn't enough evidence to convict. Everyone was glad I was able to change her mind because we would have had to come back another day. We all believed the military would eventually straighten this kid out.

Now that I'm retired, I wouldn't mind being on another jury. However, when you have young kids and a job, it can become rather disruptive. Some cases could go on for weeks. Everyone should do it at least once in their life to get a perspective of what jurors go through.

Even though you got selected for jury duty, you still have to answer a questionnaire down at the Court House and than the attorneys on both sides have to pick who they want to serve on the jury. You may be sitting there for a couple of hours. If you're not lucky to be picked they'll send you home. It's funny, because some people are relieved they're not picked. I've been called so many times, I know how to complete the questionnaire in a way so the attorneys don't want to pick me.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Guaranteed hung jury

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

My job can survive without me for a while (if I'm chosen) and I sure could use the break. My company pays a week for jury duty, any longer and I'll have to take PTO, but I have a few weeks saved, so that's no big deal.

I'm looking forward to the process and experience, to tell the truth.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Guaranteed hung jury

Not if it's cold in the court room.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I was called for jury duty for a three month period once. Had to call the Federal Court House each week to see whether to report to the Court House---an hour's drive away. I got picked on two occasions. I served on one case, an inmate was suing prison guards for abuse. I was pretty impressed with the case the inmate presented. So were the other jury members so we awarded a nice fat settlement. It wasn't quite as fat as some members of the jury wanted, they wanted to give him millions but the rest of us knew it would be over-turned.
I was picked a second time but when the case was announced I knew one of the parties so had to bow out.
It was an interesting and educational experience. I was quite disappointed with several of my fellow jurors who did not, in my opinion, take their duty seriously. They were far more interested in getting home to watch the game than to see that justice was done.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I got picked for the first time just before Xmas. I really freaked out and felt like throwing up every time I thought about it. I was just about to go to the doctor and ask for a mental health certificate to not have to do it.

I think it's vital that we have a jury made up of Jo bloggs but at this time of my life I panic about it.

I have 2 young kids, one of which I walk to school ad there have been some dodgie men exposing themselves and my 4 yr had never been baby sat. Plus other reasons but ph battery going flat.
Anyway thats my experience oh and just got letter thus week saying I'm not needed anymore at this time. Thank the dogs and the gods.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

just say you are a republican and you'll be outta there in no time. or vice versa in texas

Jury duty is a important civic duty

People have died for that right and is a core value in a free society

People that skip jury duty should try living in North Korea for a bit.

edit on 4-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Lmao! The court and your fellow jurors just have no idea what they're in for....11 Angry Men and one Snarky CTer. I predict mistrial. Or dramatic news footage.
Either way, fantastic screenplay fodder.
edit on 2/4/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: charolais

Sounds like what I face, though I'm looking for drama and intrigue!

I actually was also! I find it pretty interesting.

I also couldn't complain about the day off from work

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join