It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have Jury Duty

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The wife grabbed the mail today and the first words out of her mouth were, "You're getting sued".

"Again?" I joked.

She gave me the letter from the courthouse from our tiny little town way up in the northwest corner of the US.

Jury Duty!

My first time. I'm hoping on a murder case, espionage, maybe a Hillary indictment.

But it'll probably be a traffic case. Or a dog barking case.

Nothing I can write a tell-all book on.

So ATS, what have your experiences been with jury duty?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I've never been selected, I don't know anyone who has.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I''ve thought of ways to defer jury duty.

I'm old enough so that if I soiled my trousers, they'd just "tsk, tsk" and send me home.

But I might try to have fun with it.

"J'accuse!!!"

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
A jury is composed of 12 men of average ignorance.

Herbert Spenser

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I got my first notice about 1 week after I turned 18. Called the automated phone # the night before and found out I wasn't needed the next day.

Next notice came about 2 years later. This time I called the courthouse phone # the night before and found out I DID have to report the next day. Showed up at 845, watched a half hour long video, drank a coffee, then found out there were no cases for the day and went home around 10.

My next notice came about 4 years after that. I called the courthouse phone # the night before and they said I wasn't needed the next day.

Yup... nothing exciting from me!

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I just got a summons for jury duty today also.
Fifth time

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

just say you are a republican and you'll be outta there in no time. or vice versa in texas
edit on 3-2-2016 by DrakeINFERNO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I feel for ya!

BUT...what if IT is something exciting...OR

have you ever seen this movie?

Could be trouble!

I have never been called but, the few folks I know who sat on, it was very unexciting stuff.

I hope for unexciting stuff for YOU AND exciting stuff for US!

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Getting out of it is easy but wouldn't you rather do it? The prosecution is gonna bounce you in the first round, anyway if they find out how you really feel! At least that's how it works with me.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

When I wanted to defer mine I just said I would have a hard time not accepting the cops word as fact. I got on a seat in the benches and then the prosecution kicked me off before I could warm it up for the next person.

ETA: I couldn't afford to be away from work at the time, and 12 bucks a day isn't going to cut it.
Judge said he didn't want to hear that though.
edit on rdWed, 03 Feb 2016 20:29:38 -0600America/Chicago220163880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Jury Duty!

LUCKY!

If it's on the Steven Avery "Making a Murderer" case. Make sure to get him out

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I would be an excellent juror. I can pick out a guilty person (snap fingers) just like that.
The George Carlin technique for getting dismissed.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
In both of my occasions it was several hours of boredom followed by several hours of spineless jurors afraid to make the blatantly obvious decision. They finally convicted and then a few weeks later I received a check that barely covered the parking expense.

Have fun!

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

Sounds like what I face, though I'm looking for drama and intrigue!

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I just got a summons for jury duty today also.
Fifth time

Maybe we're on the same case. O_o

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I want drama, exciting testimony!

"You can't HANDLE the truth!"

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Jury Duty!

LUCKY!

If it's on the Steven Avery "Making a Murderer" case. Make sure to get him out

I can't make any promises, but I can probably be bought.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I'm in a pretty liberal county, might get a t-shirt that says, "Guns fer Jezus".

That should scare them.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I've done jury duty. It was no big deal. Our case took a single business day. Remember not to bring your cell phone or any other recording devices. I won't talk about the case itself for confidentiality reasons, but I was pleased w/the outcome & my contributions to the jury.

Just a fair warning though; a murder case will last a lot longer than that. And you'll have to be very careful not to read media about the case or speak about the case. I think that if you talk about your case during the trial, they'll press charges against you (I don't remember though).

As a side note, I've never understood why people don't want to do jury duty. It's literally the most direct way a citizen can get involved in the system. If the case is about something you care about, why not try to get selected? I see people who claim they hate the drug laws, racial profiling laws, or whatever other laws; then they refuse to be on a jury that can overrule those laws (in that specific case).

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

lol.

Good luck with it!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join