It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A single shot .50 BMG at about 1000.00

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I like priority based on cost.

Buy the cheapest one first, it might be all you need.

a reply to: jellyrev
edit on 3-2-2016 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I've got a couple. They're a lot of fun. But now that I can't use the tank range, finding a long enough range to shoot on is tough.

If I can buy that 100 acres to the north of my current place, I could set up a really long range down one side of my land.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I bet that even with something like that you're still going to get a heck of a kick.

I think this gun is definitely a gimmick for sales and publicity. It's well beyond any functionality for a SHTF type scenario, especially with the long reload time.

However, with the availability of 3D printers I'm sure someone will come up with a handy, easy to create ejector for it. I'm sure something could be pretty easily machined for it too. Of course, then you're putting a lot of stress from the new part not being integral, which could very well result in a gnarly injury. On top of that, if you can afford the .50 BMG ammo for a hearty supply, you can probably afford a nicer firearm.

Regardless, I still think it's pretty neat. If I could justify the expense I'd probably pick one up for the novelty. I think that's just what they're hoping for people to do.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Reloading's the only way to go.

I do buy SOME 50 BMG ball. But mostly I reload. Got a rock chucker. Oddly, you have to register a reloader for 50BMG as an 'infernal device' or some damned thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Reloading is pretty much the way to go for almost anything but .22 and Russian surplus. I know of a couple people that reload the surplus ammo, but I wouldn't even mess around with that. Maybe for 7.62x54R, but that's about it.

Weird that you have to register a reloader for the .50 at all. I can't see the logic on that one.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
A competent machinist could make the dies no problem, probably wouldn't ask many questions either. Surplus military brass isn't hard to come by either.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

The guy I know that reload the Russian surplus does something goofy with the primers. Like I said though, not anything that I would mess around with. The steel cartridge is what would put me off on that alone.

Not that there's anything wrong with surplus for plinking. I know I've put my fair share of it through barrels before.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
you get it to hunt APCs, light tanks and other mostly anti-material purposes. or modifying engine blocks.

or

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Have any of you folks ever fired a 700 Nitro Express?

As I understand it, they used to be the standard for elephant guns, I was wondering how they compare to a 50 cal.

700 vs 50 cal rounds
edit on 25pWed, 03 Feb 2016 20:11:25 -060020162016-02-03T20:11:25-06:00kAmerica/Chicago29000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Dang it! I was wanting to hear more from the guy that has the custom gun that gets 1-inch groups at 1000 yards.
(Maybe he made a mistake and meant 1000 inches? and is afraid to come back?)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I have not fired a 700 Nitro Express, I have fired what is considered a "elephant gun". I was lucky enough to put a few rounds through a Blaser R8 in 375H&H and man is that thing fun.

As far as the original topic about the .50 rifle. Your probably going to be dropping at least $1000 on optics also, but that is still a great price and would be a fun thing at the range or farm. Although for punching paper at distance there are much more accurate rounds this would still be a fun reasonably priced addition to your arsenal.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Yeah, it surprised me too. Meh. Not that it matters, I suppose, since my Rock Chucker is actually registered to my deceased old buddy, since he liked reloading 50BMG and I did not. You make one mistake with that, you are in for a world of hurt.

I will eventually, when I get done out here, set all that back up. My sporting clay throwers, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join