It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sierra's get nailed by snow. Photoessay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
All that moisture, coming in from the Pacific.
Normally, it gets sucked up by Western side of the Sierra Mountain Range.
NOT THIS TIME!

This is a huge series of Storms. All of them spilling over to the Eastern Slopes and foothills of this Mountian range..

The first punch came just before New Years Day...About 3 feet..Not much for some people, but 3-4 INCHES is more the norm, where I live.

Second wave, about 2 days After the New year..another foot, with no melting in between storms.

THEN, another series, starting Friday Morning. 2 and a half more feet by midnight. And ALL day Saturday, at about an inch per hour..And it's still coming down.

I'm tired of Shoveling the Driveway!

I've been knocking these off my house, day after day.

I ventured out to the store today, for some staples, pretty bad visibility.
With high winds making it worse.

We had a break on the 5th and 6th..Didn't last long. But I managed to find some beauty in the chilled air.

And the dogs, they like the snow...Sort of...I have to go out with them..
And it's getting over their heads.

Before any Alaskans, or Buffalonians..call me a wimp...I have lived in places where it snows as much, or more than this...It just doesnt happen here, normally.

I made this thread to show, an unusual weather event, which is still occurring. And is not supposed to let up until sometime on Monday night.

I'll update this, later today, or tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Looks like fun.

Be safe and make sure you have proper supplies.

Lol and you might want some tools in case you have to dig a tunnel .

Oh and watch out for avalanches and snow drifts.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
You're right about the drifting snow.

The highway near me is closed tonight.

We're between impulses. The temperature has risen a little.
But the wind, 50-60 mph, and above, just an hour ago. Lots of shifting snowpiles.

Next batch of snow, due in a few hours..The storm warning has been extended til Tuesday morning now..

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Space,

Unless you don't want to where exactly are you. Im in Palo Alto, and we have been soaked for days on end now. In fact one causlty that wont show up is the fact that the weather was so bad we could not lift and a small kid died on the central coast. He would have anyway in all likelyhood, but we may have been able to prevent it if we could have gotten there.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I spend 3 years in the high desert back in the early nineties and the only snow we ever saw was whenever we went to big bear.

The pictures are beautiful.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Great Pics -- thanks for sharing -- the dogs look more confused than anything

Hope when you went out for supplies you laid in all sorts of goodies in case you are stuck from drifting snow.

FredT -- you work on MediVac? We are fighting to keep ours going here -- budget cuts are causing ridiculous things to be stopped (I guess that is the plan -- if enough people complain or die because of it they can increase the budget right?)

jm

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
FredT -- you work on MediVac? We are fighting to keep ours going here -- budget cuts are causing ridiculous things to be stopped (I guess that is the plan -- if

We do primarily ground transport and use fixed and rotary wing transport when applicable. the fixed is contracted out, but we use our lifeflight chopter when needed. All pediatric, but lifeflight is mainly adult trauma but we go on the peds calls (all interfacility, no scene calls)

new topics

top topics

join