It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free State Project ‘Triggers the Move’: 20,000 Libertarians to Move to New Hampshire in Next 5 Y

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

20,000 participants have signed the Statement of Intent to move to New Hampshire, where they will “exert their fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of individuals’ rights to life, liberty and property.”

Free State Project ‘Triggers the Move’: 20,000 Libertarians to Move to New Hampshire in Next 5 Years

With the social contract in complete shambles, a nation of zombies, and a slow collapse of the middle class and the United States in general, the Free State Project is one of humanities few hopes for our future. I think to move to New Hampshire and simply announce your goal here is to be left alone is a great idea and while my initial idea was that it seemed like a threat to local people, its really not. Its just a way to finally be understood and not feel like your that lone voice shouting at a wall. I've been to a number of Free State Project events. These are people you can talk with who have an open mind are are never afraid of the truth, and rarely afraid to share it.

I know so many people in New Hampshire, and the local population in general, that loved Ron Paul and helped him out in NH. Being a libertarian anywhere else is really just like living with cancer all around you, when you don't have to.

Almost 2,000 people have moved there and they have a real effect on the system in NH. Gun permissions have been expanded due to the large number of FSP members who hold office.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: centarix

MANCHESTER, NH (PRWEB) FEBRUARY 03, 2016: As of today, The Free State Project is the most successful intentional migration movement in American history. This is because today the organization has announced that 20,000 participants have signed the Statement of Intent to move to New Hampshire, where they will “exert their fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of individuals’ rights to life, liberty and property.”

The most successful based on a signed statement of intent? Lol. When I was a kid, I signed a pledge in school to "just say no." Guess how that worked out?

They claim that they've purchased $30 million worth of real estate in the last decade. I suppose that sounds impressive until you consider that we're really talking about somewhere between 100-200 homes, probably toward the lower end of that range.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, move to NH. Personally, if I was going to start something like that, I'd at least pick someplace where it didn't snow.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

MANCHESTER, NH (PRWEB) FEBRUARY 03, 2016: As of today, The Free State Project is the most successful intentional migration movement in American history. This is because today the organization has announced that 20,000 participants have signed the Statement of Intent to move to New Hampshire, where they will “exert their fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of individuals’ rights to life, liberty and property.”

The most successful based on a signed statement of intent? Lol. When I was a kid, I signed a pledge in school to "just say no." Guess how that worked out?
No, why would you think that? I listed one example as an expansion of gun rights laws. Last year they passed legislation successfully to combat the heroin epidemic by enabling easier access to medication that treats overdoses. And I can go around to various neighborhoods and not be the odd one out as a Libertarian, so if that isn't a success then I don't know what is. The accomplishments may not seem like much to you but they are a hell of a lot more than libertarians can accomplish in other places. You also have to consider that only 2,000 people have moved so far.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I have no idea how it will all pan out, but the idea itself sounds quite worthy and noble. I had to laugh when I read wiki though....

In December 2012, state representative Cynthia Chase (D-Keene) said "Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today. There is, legally, nothing we can do to prevent them from moving here to take over the state, which is their openly stated goal. In this country you can move anywhere you choose and they have that same right. What we can do is to make the environment here so unwelcoming that some will choose not to come, and some may actually leave. One way is to pass measures that will restrict the “freedoms” that they think they will find here."

In 2012, the Concord Police Department applied for $258,000 in federal government funding to buy a Lenco BearCat armored vehicle for protection against terrorist attacks, riots, or shooting incidents. The application said, "Groups such as the Sovereign Citizens, Free Staters and Occupy New Hampshire are active and present daily challenges." The grant from the US Department of Homeland Security was successful and the Concord City Council unanimously approved of the grant, after having revised the application to remove references to those political movements.

I wish them much luck and success in any case.
Especially with the beefed up LEO's toys there now.

ETA: Wiki article on Free State Project
edit on 3/2/16 by LightSpeedDriver because: Forgot link

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: centarixNo, why would you think that? I listed one example as an expansion of gun rights laws. Last year they passed legislation successfully to combat the heroin epidemic by enabling easier access to medication that treats overdoses. And I can go around to various neighborhoods and not be the odd one out as a Libertarian, so if that isn't a success then I don't know what is. The accomplishments may not seem like much to you but they are a hell of a lot more than libertarians can accomplish in other places. You also have to consider that only 2,000 people have moved so far.

2000 people in a state of 1.3 million is .15% of the population. It is impressive that with 18 seats out of 400 in the NH House of Representatives, they've managed to put affiliated politicians in 4.5% of the seats. This is also almost double the number of seats following the 2012 election. They've got 0 in the NH Senate though. To say that they got all this legislation passed seems to be giving them far too much credit. Perhaps you could point out the particular legislation and how FSP was instrumental to its passage?

There is a nationwide movement to make Narcan (Naloxone) easily available. It has nothing specifically to do with libertarianism and it's not going to combat the "heroin epidemic," but easier access could very well save many lives currently lost to opiate overdoses. I fully support it and so do a lot of other non-libertarians I know. Point being, these aren't uniquely libertarian efforts/causes/ideals and there is no direct evidence that this legislation passed because of FSP affiliated politicians.

I'm not sure how you can tell that you're the odd one out in a neighborhood because you're a libertarian but I'll take your word for it that you feel that way.

To me, that's perhaps the most disturbing aspect. That you feel that your ideological leanings make you so different from the average American that you need to congregate into enclaves to surround yourself with like minded people (who aren't mindless zombies) Even for libertarians, that sort of intentional deassimilation seems extra cultish.
edit on 2016-2-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

that sort of intentional deassimilation seems extra cultish.

So it is considered cultish to want to distance themselves from a society that has Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders as the presidential frontrunners?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Sounds like a big threat to the big government maniacs.

The MSM will turn them into raving conspiracy nuts soon enough.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

OK. But isn't that pretty much a boiler plate clause and while it sounds good, the implementation of the other deemed necessary rules, clause, phrases, laws and regulations sorta negates the good intentions? Seems to happen to about all governments when you get politicians and governmental officials in there with their thumbs in the pie.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Libertarians can't win primaries.
It takes getting people fired up to go. Making them believe things will change.
Only certain types of people go to primaries, and these people are not libertarians. Generally its people who have a high sense of civic duty. Or it's voting to keep that gravy train coming whether its SS, medicare, or general welfare. Or voting for new gravy trains.

republican libertarians can do fine if they can make it to through their primary into the general.

As for enclaves, gated communities, san fransisco, utah(mormons), large amounts of zoning laws, etc.

I guess that senator is just intolerant. Imagine if that senator lived in a place with large voting blocs of muslims or hispanics who were trying to elect officials who were trying to promote their ideas.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian the average American is obese and poor, of course they don't want to strive for that.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
a reply to: theantediluvian

that sort of intentional deassimilation seems extra cultish.

So it is considered cultish to want to distance themselves from a society that has Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders as the presidential frontrunners?
Its interesting, because I thought of the Free State Project as an anti-cultist mentality. These people live their own lives rather than the lives their government overlords assign to them. List off the features of a cult.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Some how this stunt reminds me of another, buy up land and take over the local government scheme...

Bhagwan Rajneesh in Oregon

It will probably end about the same.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I've liked the idea. I live a ways north of that whole thing- and I've considered moving there, but the freedoms in NH really aren't much different than the freedoms here- we're all slaves to the banks.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Is this a white separatist moment? I've never heard of them.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

To me, that's perhaps the most disturbing aspect. That you feel that your ideological leanings make you so different from the average American that you need to congregate into enclaves to surround yourself with like minded people (who aren't mindless zombies) Even for libertarians, that sort of intentional deassimilation seems extra cultish.

Enclave? You make it sound as if they're all going to move into walled compounds and start sacrificing small animals to the gods of libertarianism or something. So silly.

Seriously though, why shouldn't libertarians band together? Little to no media attention gets paid to this fledgeling(1971) party due to the firm entrenchment of the two party system. They seem to hold the best hope of returning this country to founding principles, though. A little concerted effort on their part is a good idea, and it may be the best way to gain a stronger foothold in American politics. I'm glad to see this movement gaining traction, and I hope the signators are able to follow through in significant numbers to make a difference. Go free staters!

The Libertarian Party is the third largest political party in the United States.

www.lp.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think this would have been a lot smarter to work towards by picking a city / county and have libertarians slowly move there until they control all the county and city government. Then they have lawmen working for them and not against them.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Is this a white separatist moment? I've never heard of them.
The short answer to your question is that the best way to vote is with your feet.

While in Chicago, my beliefs are considered lunatic because I'm someone who believes in extremely low taxes and zero extra business regulations. These people want me to believe that the cities and places going bankrupt like Chicago, Greece, and Venezuela have very practical, realistic philosophies of government. So, you have the Free State Project where you go to New Hampshire and half the people actually think and believe extremely low taxes and extremely low extra business regulations are a good thing. You can talk with other people and be a normal person whereas in Chicago you were the lunatic.

The point is that in New Hampshire you won't feel like you are yelling at a brick wall when you share your opinions. Dozens of Free State Project members hold office. Dozens of Free State Project participants have withdrawn from the system almost entirely, which I respect even more, though I think both strategies are good.

So, people who move to NH as FSP members have the idea they will connect with other people better. Personally I won't waste my time voting anymore when I'm not represented at all as my "representative" does not share any of my opinions on anything when in Chicago.

So, while the idea of liberty isn't my top priority, it has been trampled on so much now that I MUST do something about it and the FSP is one thing I can do. Does this make sense to you?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
I think this would have been a lot smarter to work towards by picking a city / county and have libertarians slowly move there until they control all the county and city government. Then they have lawmen working for them and not against them.
Not necessary. There are 20,000 movers. If 400 of the 20,000 move to Grafton, NH that would be "their city" as its already the highest per-capita libertarian place in the world.

Libertarians don't want to control cities, they want to liberate them. That would be the opposite of controlling. That is why they don't take that strategy. The point is to be able to connect with people who share their views, and if the point was domination that is what would have happened as you say.

You're idea also has weaknesses:
1. Security. It would be like a pre-made prison they could cordon off shut in a crisis.
2. Revokability of town charter. Oh, you want a libertarian place? We're the HIGHER government and we say no. Grafton, NH no longer exists and you are unincorporated New Hampshire now. Ha!
3. Isolation. While libertarians don't like being alone, we are not yes men either who just want affirmation all the time. We want to be able to live ordinary lives and share our ideas with people who are not libertarian too.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

thats great and everything....but here in West Texas I get the same thing pretty much. There's little law enforcement in general.

People who come here ask dumb questions like "where can i park?" LOL....just try to not leave your car hanging out in the road, or its your fault when it gets hit....otherwise, park where ever you can fit your car.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Can't say I agree with this. Trying to form groups of like minded individuals that can take over a state or even a city legislature and force their opinions on everyone within those borders rather than coexist and compromise with the rest of society is just about the most unamerican concept I can think of.

These are the types of actions that lead to wars. I would rather not have another civil war.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join