It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your take on Muslim women dressing mainstream-modern?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Personally i subscribe to the notion that one should never attempt to hide there light under a bushel, or a burka for that matter.

Thing is through that some, for want of a better word, Men apparently deem any female body parts on show as an excuse for rape and other horrendous atrocity's to be carried out on there person.

edit on 4-2-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

But they have acted on the 'Tempting Eyes" in Saudi Arabia.

A new law in Saudi Arabia banning ‘tempting eyes’ has become the latest example of female oppression in the country.

The law, which states that women with alluring eyes will be forced to wear a full veil, has been branded ‘stupid’ by dissenters and roundly criticized on social media, aina.org reports.

Sheikh Motlab al Nabet, spokesman of the Saudi Arabian Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, said they ‘had the right’ to force women to cover their face.

‘The men of the committee will interfere to force women to cover their eyes, especially the tempting ones,’ he said.

‘We have the right to do so.’

see here:metro.co.uk...

Read more: metro.co.uk...

Little wonder women aren't permitted to drive. Visibility has to be impaired in those things.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Seems to me it would make more sense to simply put out the eyes of the men in question who apparently find these woman's eyes so tempting.

After all it would seem to make more sense to blind a potential rapist rather than his intended future victims.
edit on 4-2-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I would strongly encourage this, and then observe how suddenly all the 'temptation' subsides!

(Either that or we can all move to Saudi and make a fortune providing services to the blind) lol.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

My grandmother volunteered to be first.

I don't know which is more disturbing....

The fact she volunteered...

OR

That she has a thong in the first place....

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah.... No one's getting raped here though.

I likes to treat the ladies right

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Hmmm... Not to sound mean, but you seem to be making some major assumptions here. The assumptions are so big that it's hard for me to be accurate here without writing a really long and boring post. And I really don't want to do that. So let me just say this:

Women in Islam have a lot more freedom than non-Muslims think, especially when it comes to clothing, makeup, and accessories. However, specific subcultures, families, and individual preferences will have greater effects on each Muslim woman's clothing than anything else.

As examples, Muslim women only cover their hair around men of marriageable age that aren't close relatives. And that's only after the women have reached puberty but have not gone through menopause yet. Oh yeah, and it's also up to each woman to decide if she wants to cover her hair. The women still get their hair styled, colored, get extensions, and the such. However, some women will choose to cover far more than just their hair, even if other Muslims don't want it. That's why the burka issue is so controversial. If my Mom or a female Muslim friend wanted to wear one, who am I to stop her, even though I don't personally like them?

As for gold, jewelry, makeup, and the such: LOL Muslim women can & will wear all of that and more. In fact, I'd advise you to do a quick google image search of "hijabs", "Islamic fashion", and "Islamic jewelry". Then pay attention to the women themselves; including their makeup, accessories, dresses, and the such. Though some women will take a conservative approach, like a Catholic Nun. Once again, it's literally up to the women (for example, I believe Egypt just had a beauty pageant not too long ago- don't judge me lol).

As for "modern clothing", what's that? I'd actually advise you visit a mosque as an observer. I think it would absolutely shatter your preconceived notions & stereotypes more than anything I could ever say. Because Muslim women can & will wear pants, jeans, pants suits, form fitting clothing, and nearly anything else lol. Of course, there are also Muslim women who don't like to show off their curves or the such, so they will dress much more modestly. And yes, Muslim women are encouraged to dress modestly. But aren't Christian & Hindu women also encouraged to dress modestly? Do they always do it? Sometimes I think you all forget what region "belly dancing" came from...

(facepalm) I still ended up making this a long post. And I didn't even touch on everything. I'll leave you with this example. There are several Somalian Muslim women that I've been crazy about, one I was even hoping to marry. Actual Somalian women are nothing like the stereotypes you see on tv. What I mean by that is these women were nearly all multilingual, highly empowered in their communities, had incredible curves and they knew it! They typically wore very colorful dresses, plus makeup, scarves, and a lot of jewelry (some wore pants as well, though dresses were the fashion). Most didn't seem to wear much makeup, but I'm admittedly bad with noticing most makeup. And they didn't show cleavage, though their form fitting dresses & shirts didn't need to show it in order to uhh, "get the point across".

Needless to say, even the non-Muslim men would drool over them. The non-Muslim ladies would say the Muslim ladies had long, jet black hair too, but we guys couldn't see
. They were no different than any other women I'd met, except that they knew the Qur'an and followed tenets I believed in. The ones I was craziest about were both physically stunning & spiritually above me. Perfect combination

I guess stuff like this is why I can't take a lot of these posts about Islam seriously. I don't mean this in a negative way towards you, but I seriously wonder what you all think of Muslim women. It seems like you only hear the worse stereotypes and hear of the worse individual instances, all while being completely ignorant of the normal situations. The assertions, guesses, and outright conjecture that I see from others are so far from reality that it seems like I'm in a twilight zone. Muslim women are women. They have their own opinions, especially when it comes to their looks & fashion. What women do you know that will just jump when guys tell them to? We Muslim men still have to jump through hoops to prove ourselves worthy to Muslim women, just as other males do to other women.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I apologize for not reading all the pages before this one- I am going to have to get out and run my errands today and I haven't two hours to spend reading!

I'll put this warning first- as in many issues, my opinion here might be seen as controversial, strange, or difficult to understand. If you are one of those that gets upset faced with such POV's, just click out now.

( Before someone else brings it up, the laws in France on wearing the veil covering the face in public places has nothing to do with women's rights- it was making fair the already existing laws that anyone in certain public places has to keep their face visible, for security and identification reasons. Letting the Muslim women have an exemption to the law, because of their religious practice, was contrary to the principles of secularism and equality of this country. )

I think that women wearing the headscarf, but more revealing, even sexy clothes apart from it, are a expected product of our superficial society today, and they make the headscarf have no other purpose than a statement of ones cultural origins.

A lot of paternal type religious beliefs included at some point, women covering and hiding their face and body.
This can be seen only in it's abusive usage, as a way of repressing women,
Or the other way it is practiced sometimes- as a way of allowing women to protect themselves.

I do not mean "to keep men from getting excited and raping them"- though that could be the case in certain contexts.
I mean, protect them from themselves and their own sensitivity/empathy.

See, I found out that I am very sensitive and empathic. I don't know if it is by nature or nurture. But in any case, this causes me some problems with perception of boundry. Other peoples emotions are extremely contagious to me, and it is not real clear who they came from- an emotion that originates in my thoughts has no different "feeling" to it than that emotion that originated in another and transferred. Hormones are hormones, and once triggered in the body, it doesn't matter who or what triggered them!

This is helpful in caretaking activities (mothering, caring for sick or emotionally suffering people), yet when it comes to things like feeling sexual attraction, it can be a problem.

If a man in front of me is feeling strong desire and attraction to me, I will start to feel it too. Even if he is trying to hide it. Our bodies communicate under the radar of our conscious awareness with things like the pupils of eyes, breath rate, gestures and movement, tone of voice, pheromone production...

Now, as I have gotten older, I am better at distinguishing this effect. But when I was younger, I will not hide that it made me very confused, and was the source of a lot of bad decisions in the relationship area.

When a woman covers her face and body so that men around cannot see it, and cannot get turned on, they won't have to deal with that confusing transference of emotion. They can keep their mental boundries intact and know who they love and who they don't; who they feel attracted to and who they don't, without any ambiguity or emotional confusion.

Without that shield to help, a women has become much less sensitive to what she feels inside (much less maternal and nurturing in nature as a result) to toughen up.
She also runs the risk of becoming sexually promiscuous, even hypersexual, or just unable to sustain a long term monogamous relationship.

The question of "did she want it?" is not that clear in these cases.
-And it doesn't necessarily mean men are at fault either!

But if a woman is covering her head and wearing sexy clothes, she doesn't get the value of that covering.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join