It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your take on Muslim women dressing mainstream-modern?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well, Just like the title reads. I am curious to see what others opinions are on this subject. From what I understand; principal of Islamic modesty is supposed to be an all inclusive, not just wearing the hijab. Equating to loose clothing, not showing the curvature of the female body.......

The link, really has some very questionable photos, I urge you to read it before replying please.

Come all of Muslim faith. I want to hear from you most especially! !!!! !

The hijab, or headscarf, is arguably the world’s most misunderstood garment. Whether viewed as a personal choice, political statement, or cultural mandate, its simple notice-ability makes it vulnerable to debate. Its message is modesty, but what happens when it's paired with tight clothes and pretty heels? Then the comments really fly.

Here is the L I N K

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

My thinking on the matter is that Muslim woman just like any other woman should be free to dress in which ever fashion or style they desire.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

As a non-Muslim I have little understanding of the importance of the dress code to a practitioners ideological view of spirituality. Still, my little internal anthropologist seems to be telling me this is more about traditional values versus modern customs than Islam itself.

All religions are but sets of values and ideologies one have to accept on faith and interpret meaning, including Islam, and thus they all allow for a modernist interpretation. That being said fundamentalist will always reject the new modernist interpretations.

To end, I offer a quote from Marx about progress:

All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned ...

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
When I was at uni I was with a lot of persian girls.

They dressed like most normal girls but all wore the head scaf.

They explained to me it was a choice and they wore it as more a cultural dress than anything plus to them it just seemed weird not to like not wearing underwear.

Now the saudi girls in the full burka? The few that were on the course never spoke to the men full stop. No idea what there attitude was but from the saudi guys I meet they were all arse holes.
edit on 3-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Very interesting article.Imo the girl in the 1st photo wears it best, she looks stunning. Indeed in countries where Muslim women have far more leeway in interpreting the modesty rules, some of the results are interesting
!

Being a Western/African woman of no religion, its very hard for me to comprehend the absolutely draconian harsher forms of female Muslim dressing-however here's my personal view- had full head- to- feet covering with only eyes showing been Optional- i myself would very much had seen it as a form of freedom.

Freedom from bad hair days,freedom from the endless "what the hell do i wear today??" That especially working women-and most especially poorer working women have to cope with daily. Just throw on the black head-toe+ you're good to go

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I second that.

To the thread. The main stream acceptable fashion is ummm, whatever is on tv? I don't see a lot of people dressing like TV people do down on Main Street.

If your whole world is based on emulating tV people…

Anyway the head gear worn in the desert is not as much cultural as it is practical. Its friggin hot. Several loose layers of cloth protect the head ad body from the sun, wind and most of all, heat. Culturally its as significant in cooler climes as top hats made of Beaver pelt.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

at least their head is covered.

edit on 3-2-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

NO - they should be chained up in a dungeon and made to wear a canvas tent that not only covers them from head to toe, but trails behind them for at least 3 meters.

They should be given 1 glass of water and 1 piece of bread per day - to be eaten inbetween dishes, ironing, cooking and foot rubs.

They are the lesser species so should be treated as such and stoned to death for being beautiful and desirable.

Of course, this is just my opinion, others may feel differently and wish that this species shares equal rights, equal freedoms and other such blasphemies.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Good thing i did'nt have any liquid in my mouth when reading this

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

When I read, or hear, someone attempting to discuss the clothes that someone else wears; I am often moved to ask them a very simple question.

What do the clothes on your back have to do with the feelings in your heart?

A "begger" who dresses as best they can, may as well be wearing a tuxedo when they do acts of kindness which come from the heart.
But, a "rich man" can not buy enough finery to cover-up a heart likened to a rotten apple.

If a woman wears a head scarf because "she" wants to, who else is qualified to judge her. If she has no reason with-in herself to wear one, she may as well be naked.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Ok, I have to say some of those muslim women are pretty hot. The thongs are a nice touch. The head-to-toe black covering is over the top for me. How are you supposed to deal with a person who is going incognito in a world where recognition is part of the security? Would like to see muslim women lose the hijabs and burkas and wear western cloths.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I'm in Dearborn Mi....there are different Muslims, slightly different...some families split from older members I see traditionally dressed, and the younger teens in the same family in jeans and t-shirts.

Some completely traditional...others embracing western culture completely.....also they can be Muslim from different countries, slightly different in their language, customs, beliefs, traditions and dress.

There is no one kind....of white or black or red-yellow Catholic, Baptist or atheist even...
edit on 3-2-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
It's none of my business what people want to wear, I don't think I'd take too well to people telling me what I should wear, I might choose to wear nothing. I have a lot of respect for naturists especially that naked rambler guy

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
People can wear whatever they like.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
this is what Iran looked like before they went 'full bore stupid' in '79

there is a large muslim population here in Michigan, and I see the gamut daily. from all black /eyeslit only, to western dress and a hijab.

I don't think there's a consensus, even in the muslim community

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I find nothing objectionable about any of those pictures, however

my feelings are, and that its often said that hair is a woman's

*crowning glory* so what a shame to hide it?

What I personally object to is the face covering, which is akin to

speaking to someone with their back to you, or have turned their

back on you, which I consider the height of bad manners and

extremely rude!!

As hoodies and helmets have to be removed in many public places

and in banks I think the same rules should be applied to the face

covering which I believe is called the hijab.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If God doesn't like the way they dress, I am sure God has the ability to let them know? How the heck do I know how God wishes someone to dress on any particular day of the week. If you take half of his people, and force them to wear bulky clothing, or clothing that restricts them in some way, aren't you restricting how God can use these people? I am not muslim so I wish to jump over to the christian religion to explain what I mean. some christian sects have a thing about women wearing slacks or jeans. they should be in dresses! only there are some things that would just be a tad inappropriate to do in a dress, like climb ladders. so well, I see it as kind of restricting God, since I believe that God can sometimes lead you into situations that you might need to climb a ladder to achieve his goal.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Very interesting article.Imo the girl in the 1st photo wears it best, she looks stunning. Indeed in countries where Muslim women have far more leeway in interpreting the modesty rules, some of the results are interesting
!

Being a Western/African woman of no religion, its very hard for me to comprehend the absolutely draconian harsher forms of female Muslim dressing-however here's my personal view- had full head- to- feet covering with only eyes showing been Optional- i myself would very much had seen it as a form of freedom.

Freedom from bad hair days,freedom from the endless "what the hell do i wear today??" That especially working women-and most especially poorer working women have to cope with daily. Just throw on the black head-toe+ you're good to go

Yah freedom until you get stoned for not wearing.. your FREE to wear it in America go ahead look like a fool your also free NOT TO.. big big difference
edit on 3-2-2016 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

They explained to me it was a choice and they wore it as more a cultural dress than anything plus to them it just seemed weird not to like not wearing underwear.

I have no issue if college girls choose to go commando.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'm not Muslim but I just wanted to say thanks for posting. The photos were hilarious.

There used to be a Muslim lady who worked as a cashier at JC Penney in my county and she always wore the headscarf with skin-tight pants and I used to wonder what the point of the headscarf was. I think people should have the freedom to dress how they want to dress!

Sal

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join