It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago violence climbs again with bloodiest January in 16 years; 51 murders, 242 shootings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well, at least we know where we can put all those Syrian refugees so they can feel right at home.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Trying a different tact other than, 'Strict laws will prevent gun violence"? These are mostly gang shootings. Why don't you go tell them it's illegal.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Criminals killing criminals? If that's the case, maybe they'll eventually eliminate the problem of crime by their own hands. I'm sure this is all in gang infested neighborhoods. What's sad are the innocent people in those neighborhoods who have to dodge the bullets.

I doubt they'll ever get it under control. In those neighborhoods, being a "snitch" is worst than doing the right thing and identifying suspects. In my city, we had two teenagers killed in a drive-by shooting. Police can't get enough information on the shooters because teenagers who were with the boys at the time don't want to be snitches. What's even worse, is the parents are telling their kids not to say anything! Even after the grieving parents have pleaded with the community to come forward with information to help apprehend the shooters!

edit on 3-2-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

There is an important and unconsidered factor in counting the dead, did they deserve it?

Most murder victims in big cities have criminal record

Of course, I'm not talking about innocent victims of criminals but, a significant proportion of so-called "gun crime victims" are simply criminals being shot by each other or by their intended victims.

If the uptick is caused by newfound gun ownership among law abiding citizens, that is the natural and desirable outcome.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
A couple of things.

1) Chicago isn't unique. You see the same level of violence in most major cities with the same characteristics listed below. Chicago is just one of the larger cities so our aggregate numbers look pretty bad, but on a per capita basis, some smaller cities are much more violent.

2) The violence isn't in Chicago proper, but neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city. Pretty much contained in the south side of the city and the west side of the city. These areas are like 8-10 miles or more from the downtown tourist areas. The areas are technically Chicago, but not really the Chicago people think of when you say Chicago.

3) The violence is pretty much all gang related. Chicago has always had a gang culture from the early 1900s famed mafia wars to the black gangs now. You cannot grow up in Chicago ghettos and not be affiliated with a gang directly or indirectly.

4) The violence is mostly black on black violence. A good 80% or so. Maybe 9 or 10% hispanic. The white folks involved are usually drug fiends.

5) Mostly involves teenagers and young males less than 25 years old.

6) The crime rate is actually down quite a bit from the late 80s and early 90s. At one point, Chicago was pushing 900 murders a year. Still too high of a number, but not really as bad as it could be.

7) The violence has nothing to do with gun control as it has been and is still pretty difficult to buy firearms in Chicago. Chicago doesn't have a single gun store. Almost all the firearms used are obtained illegally.

8) New laws allowing gun ownership and concealed carry have nothing to do with reducing violence within Chicago. Most of those getting concealed carry don't live in or have any contact with the areas in which most of this violence occurs. Some guy living in suburban Naperville getting a concealed carry license is not reducing violence in Chicago's Englewood.

I've often stated on this board that i believe the root cause of the violence is the breakdown of the black family. In aggregate, 3/4s of black children are born out of wedlock. I'd bet the number is approaching 100% in some ghettos. These kids are growing up having to attend horrible public schools, no positive male role models, no jobs, and no future. No hope.

We've lost pretty much two generations to failed liberal policies coming out of the War on Poverty.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
A couple of things.

1) Chicago isn't unique. You see the same level of violence in most major cities with the same characteristics listed below. Chicago is just one of the larger cities so our aggregate numbers look pretty bad, but on a per capita basis, some smaller cities are much more violent.

2) The violence isn't in Chicago proper, but neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city. Pretty much contained in the south side of the city and the west side of the city. These areas are like 8-10 miles or more from the downtown tourist areas. The areas are technically Chicago, but not really the Chicago people think of when you say Chicago.

3) The violence is pretty much all gang related. Chicago has always had a gang culture from the early 1900s famed mafia wars to the black gangs now. You cannot grow up in Chicago ghettos and not be affiliated with a gang directly or indirectly.

4) The violence is mostly black on black violence. A good 80% or so. Maybe 9 or 10% hispanic. The white folks involved are usually drug fiends.

6) The crime rate is actually down quite a bit from the late 80s and early 90s. At one point, Chicago was pushing 900 murders a year. Still too high of a number, but not really as bad as it could be.

7) The violence has nothing to do with gun control as it has been and is still pretty difficult to buy firearms in Chicago. Chicago doesn't have a single gun store. Almost all the firearms used are obtained illegally.

8) New laws allowing gun ownership and concealed carry have nothing to do with reducing violence within Chicago. Most of those getting concealed carry don't live in or have any contact with the areas in which most of this violence occurs. Some guy living in suburban Naperville getting a concealed carry license is not reducing violence in Chicago's Englewood.

I've often stated on this board that i believe the root cause of the violence is the breakdown of the black family. In aggregate, 3/4s of black children are born out of wedlock. I'd bet the number is approaching 100% in some ghettos. These kids are growing up having to attend horrible public schools, no positive male role models, no jobs, and no future. No hope.

We've lost pretty much two generations to failed liberal policies coming out of the War on Poverty.

I don't know if you live in the Chicago area (I do), but you've hit the nail right on the head. This is all 100% accurate.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Maybe they should try this (thread worthy) (Oh, by the way, $9,000/year to be crime free):

DC bill would pay people stipends not to commit crimes

WASHINGTON — They say crime doesn’t pay, but that might not be entirely true in the District of Columbia as lawmakers look for ways to discourage people from becoming repeat offenders.

The D.C. Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a bill that includes a proposal to pay residents a stipend not to commit crimes. It’s based on a program in Richmond, California, that advocates say has contributed to deep reductions in crime there.

Under the bill, city officials would identify up to 200 people a year who are considered at risk of either committing or becoming victims of violent crime. Those people would be directed to participate in behavioral therapy and other programs. If they fulfill those obligations and stay out of trouble, they would be paid.

www.washingtonpost.com... tml

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subsonic

originally posted by: Edumakated
A couple of things.

I don't know if you live in the Chicago area (I do), but you've hit the nail right on the head. This is all 100% accurate.

I live in Chicago. I'm black and drive through Austin (westside) daily, so this issue is important to me personally. I've studied it quite a bit.

I wish more were honest about it and the root causes so we could get to some solutions instead of just parroting that there are too many guns.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I was there during the 1980s as well. I seem to recall that a lot of those murders were bad guys killing other bad guys. Some times statistics don't tell the whole story.

-dex

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Listen to the chcago police scanner for a day. I do at work and it's non stop calls coming in no matter the weather. Just listen to how much violence actually goes on that is not statistically reported. It will blow your mind.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join