It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOD running short of smart bombs in ISIS campaign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

If you're wondering how much the war against the Islamic State is costing the US and why the Obama administration isn't ramping up its bombing campaign even more, consider this fact: from August 2014 to December 2015, the US military dropped $1.3 billion in smart bombs and other guided munitions on ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria, with air operations costing an average of about $11.2 million per day.

So many smart bombs have been dropped during the roughly 9,000 missions flown by US Air Force and Navy aircraft that the Department of Defense is running out of the guided weapons—and the Pentagon wants to stock up for ramped-up attacks. The military also wants to accelerate updates to the aging B-52 fleet to convert them into "arsenal ships" that can hang around for long periods of time and deliver bigger loads of guided bombs against targets such as ISIS.

Defense One reports that the Obama administration will send a request to Congress next week to approve an additional $1.8 billion for the DOD in order to purchase 45,000 new Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) smart bombs and other air-dropped ordnance.

Link

Link to defense.gov

$11 million a day for almost a year and a half. Seems like there is always money to fight terror worldwide.

I have the feeling at times that the war on terror is just a money making business for a select few companies. I also believe it is being used to as a "reason" for arms development because the "terrorists are coming to get up". It makes it more justifiable in he public's eye.

Maybe this is what the 21st century will be.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I have the feeling at times that the war on terror is just a money making business for a select few companies. I also believe it is being used to as a "reason" for arms development because the "terrorists are coming to get up". It makes it more justifiable in he public's eye.

I agree. There's no doubt money has, and is, changing hands behind closed doors. No one can doubt the U.S; like so many other counties, want to stake their claim in all these war torn countries.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Maybe this is what the 21st century will be

I don't see anything new here. Seems like SSDD to me.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It's sad when our bombs are smart and our leaders are idiots.

But to be fair, if they actually bombed the targets, then they wouldn't have an enemy to fight.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Bombing does not stop breeding. Taliban, Al Qaida, ISIL, just another name in ten years with a new crop of terrorists.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I suppose we could just go back to good old fashioned dumb bombs. Take out the whole block, not the building.
That worked in world war 2.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Bombing does not stop breeding. Taliban, Al Qaida, ISIL, just another name in ten years with a new crop of terrorists.

So we shouldn't fight them or else they'll get angry?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The bombs can't be that smart because civilians are still dying haha

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

What are we accomplishing? 911 happened, we don't know if we could have ever prevented it. Hindsight is always 100% right. But we can learn and I think we did. I don't want to be afraid of a bunch of hormonal, crazy religious sects anymore. So you are in the camp that we stay there forever and drop bombs and spend money?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

The only way to win is to be so scary that they will always be too afraid to mess with us.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well this year is the end of ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The push on both capitals will becoming soon and ISIS falling apart. They know this and are planning on a move to Libya but, before that happens I expect you will see the coalition in Libya soon as long as the peace deal holds. Or if not the West then Egypt who seems to want to make Libya its junior partner.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

So your fear is worth sending troops in harms way and sooner or later taxes will have to go up because we are running out of bombs. I can't imagine all the materials and tech that must go into making just one.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Now Libya is the new front for ISIS. I suppose we will be more active there now, actual or proxy.

Link

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

So your fear is worth sending troops in harms way and sooner or later taxes will have to go up because we are running out of bombs. I can't imagine all the materials and tech that must go into making just one.

I'm not fearful.

I just want to win a war.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

The fearful people are the ones that don't want to upset the terrorists with bombs because that might make them mad.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I wonder if we invested

$11.2 million per day.
in our national deficate, if we could pay off our debts in my lifetime? ???

edit on 2-2-2016 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Not by a long shot.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

How?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

How?

Again. . .

The only way to win is to be so scary that they will always be too afraid to mess with us.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

That makes no sense. We were not scary and a great military force under George Bush on 911?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join