It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Arsenal Plane: Here comes the newest buff for the BUFF

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BigTrain

You're dreaming if you think you're going to get anything the size of a B-1 built for $20M. You might get part of an airframe built for that, but you're not going to even get close to a full airframe for that. The F135-PW-400 is almost $14M each alone.
edit on 2/4/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Crash land one in China or Iran

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

really stupid idea.

What if you adapted an SM-3 for the arsenal plane with a terminal seeker?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Better off with the -6. It uses portions of the AMRAAM.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was thinking of the range. And the ability to tag something outside the atmosphere. The -6 'only' has a ship based range of 150 nm. Officially at least.

That's actually an interesting thought.

Could you have a ballistic missile booster to deliver an AAM via up and over the atmosphere? If you're outside the atmosphere, so long as you're not so fast you skip off, you can get somewhere damned quick without the 8 minute barrier.

Fire off, up and over, glide in, relight with the engine meant for killing the aircraft. Best against something like an awacs.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The -6 was designed to compliment the -3, having a terminal phase attack capability against ballistic missiles, as well as the -2 Block IV in the anti air role.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Switching back to the arsenal plane from our segue, apparently the fighter and bomber sides of the USAF like the idea:

www.flightglobal.com...

Also the fighter guys are groovin on the 'wolf pack' of using a bunch of UCAVs/UAVs acting as wingmen for fighters.

I worry about the work load in a combat situation though with single seaters.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

I'd imagine there would have to be a large amount of autonomy/AI for that to work, with the pilot just designating targets and the UCAV doing the rest.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Im wondering about target and collateral positioning especially between weapon release and weapon hitting.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The Air Force is also showing off its arsenal plane concept.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Wonder if the B-52's are going to miss their engine pods after the AF jacks them to put on those C-130's. Lol.

I know it will never happen with the 747 line closing but I like this one better:

edit on 26-2-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

It was a weird concept they had there: wait...is that a buff? or a c-130? or...wth?!

Some are stating its meant to be a cargo plane with something modular put in.

Folks are talking about a C-17 & C-5 replacement needed. Sooo...blend again? Same airframe, different mission?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Possibly. I think they will just give the arsenal ship concept to the BUFF's and relegate them to that mission and the third point of the nuclear triad till they retire them for good.

I think eventually we will see a BWB lifter for the C-17 replacement. The AF has too much on it's plate right now to put a lot of energy into it though hence NASA getting involved in ironing out that concept.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   
About time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join