It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Arsenal Plane: Here comes the newest buff for the BUFF

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

A BUFF, even with the TF33s would only require minimal changes. A Talon HATE type system, possibly an AESA system, which is already budgeted, some changes to the FCS, and that's about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
How making an arsenal plane with a plane unable to stay in a contested airspace ?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

It's not going INTO contested airspace. That's the entire point. Other aircraft pick out targets, while it stays out of range and launches weapons.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Hence why I said build a new airframe.

Already designed, ready to go, just start manufacturing it, its not a complex bird. with todays manufacturing progress and materials tech, it should actually be pretty cheap too.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Hmmm, this all sounds very failure. Where have I seen this concept before?

Although converting the Buff would be way cheaper.
edit on 3-2-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BigTrain

The B-1R is more a paper airplane than a done one and it brings to the table capabilities and complexities that are unnecessary. You cannot use the old plans for the new plane: tech has marched on even in manufacturing.

This isn't meant to do any penetration. This doesn't need to be fast. It needs a large payload and long loiter time. That is it.

The cheapest route is the B-52 and then to replace it with a heavy lifter transport aircraft after that.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

And you're still looking at several years of testing and refining, as opposed to just simple upgrades.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

AvWeak says the B-1 is being considered. Is this really the case (SecDef only said B-52) or is this another case of a certain someone trying to grasp as straws again?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Well why not make both capable? Zaphod's argument honestly makes sense for both aircraft. They're both capable of carrying the same weapons and have different strengths. Would make sense to make both "arsenal capable." I guess that the B-1 would need some more juice for the added electronics though if they're really so underpowered electrically.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

They'll look at it, since they're doing such big upgrades now, but with the B-1 being able to get through areas the B-52 can't, the BUFF is far more likely to get selected.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bra1nwash

The B-1 can go areas that the B-52 can't. It makes sense to leave it as a bomber, and use the BUFFs as arsenal craft, which leaves them doing what they're doing now already, but with more weapons.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

That would make sense to me too.

For those other than Zaph and the few in the know, the older 'arsenal plane' concept from back in the Carter, Jimmy Carter, days.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

That would make sense to me too.

For those other than Zaph and the few in the know, the older 'arsenal plane' concept from back in the Carter, Jimmy Carter, days.

...and the discussion the board had about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Dale Brown call your office.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

So does the US Government owe him royalties now?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Only if he has a patent.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I'm just saying I've got the book on my shelf

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

If you took the B-1r plans and competitively bid it out to mid-level builders, probably get it built for about 20 million.

Last thing you want is Boeing building you anything.

"Yes Mr Carter, yes we can build you a new Sopwith Camel, for the low-low price of 768 Million!, Yes, yes sir you;re right, thats per copy, yes. Well, we might be able to get it down to 750M if you buy TWO!!!"

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You do realize the B-1R is a rebuild proposal by...Boeing. sooo...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

And the plans for the B-1 are Boeing property so you can't just take them and hand them to any company you want and have them build one.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join