It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top US generals: Women should have to register for the draft, too

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The top U.S. Marine Corps and Army generals said on Tuesday that women should be required to register for the military draft, along with men, as the armed forces move toward integrating them fully into combat positions.

“I think that all eligible and qualified men and women should register for the draft,” General Robert Neller, the commandant of the Marine Corps, told a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on women in combat.

General Mark Milley, the chief of staff of the Army, also backed registration for women, although two other witnesses, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus and Acting Army Secretary Patrick Murphy, said only that there should be a discussion of legislation requiring women to register for the Selective Service.

That didn't take long.....from no women in combat to being drafted.

The U.S. military is currently an all-volunteer force, but young men are required to register in case the draft is reactivated.

The military leaders said it would take years for women to be fully integrated into combat units, although they generally voiced strong support for the plan to skeptical committee members.

I foresee the draft being reactivated sooner rather than later.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yes, they should if there is a Draft.

Unless as he said, they're ineligible or unqualified.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I totally agree everyone should have to register.

I also think everyone should require physical, intelligence, and psychological testing.

Not everyone should be lumped into one big pot.

+27 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How about nobody has to register for the draft, and the war can be fought by the people who want to wage it?

Forcing one person to kill another person is just tacky.
edit on 2-2-2016 by BiffWellington because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Draft or no draft, they still have the option to deploy or not.

There are women in the military today (volunteers) and you can count their unit deployments by their kids

Married couples in the military do the same thing as well. Deployment time means pregnancy time (someone has to hold down the fort and raise the family).

Requiring females to register for selective service won't change anything at all.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I 100% agree.

If women want to be equal to men they needs to take the same responsibilitys.

Saying that though a Draft should only ever be used if a country is under direct threat and the first drafted should be family members of politicians, for front line duty!

End of the day if your in a war and your not getting enough recruits volunteering then you shouldn't be in that war.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
& we slowly creep towards the inevitable. Maybe if we just replaced oil already we wouldn't need to war over it, though I'm sure TPTB would find something to kill for.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This should make the Feminists squirm -- actually being required to be equal in the military, not just drumbeat about it.

And I fully agree with it. If all the men have to register, so should the women. I'm no fan of the military (should be patently obvious by now) but fair is fair, ladies.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Nobody can say that they didn't see this coming.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Good. Its insane that in our progressive society that women would expect not to be drafted.

I am all for mandatory service. Too many have no idea what the military is like or what our servicemen go through.

Its the same reason why cops arent understood. More people should join or it becomes an entity with no civilian consideration. Try changing anything from the outside in.....

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Equality.

Sounds about right!

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I 100% agree.

Saying that though a Draft should only ever be used if a country is under direct threat and the first drafted should be family members of politicians, for front line duty!

End of the day if your in a war and your not getting enough recruits volunteering then you shouldn't be in that war.

I can't be the only one who has thought this through. I remember commenting on a thread years ago now about conscripted labor in Ireland.

What skills do females have that are useful to soldiers?
edit on 2-2-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
& we slowly creep towards the inevitable. Maybe if we just replaced oil already we wouldn't need to war over it, though I'm sure TPTB would find something to kill for.

water. killing for water.

artificial scarcity

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: crazyewok
I 100% agree.

I can't be the only one who has thought this through. I remember commenting on a thread years ago now about conscripted labor in Ireland.

What skills do females have that are useful to soldiers?

Plenty of support roles.

In fact in a modern army for every 1 front line solider you need dozens of support roles.
Truck drivers, mechanics, radar operators, nurses, doctors, surgical tecs, cooks, intelligence officers, communications technicians, tailers, dentists, office workers, clerks, helicopter pilot and gunners et al.

Not to mention roles in the Navy and airforce. A woman can be just as good a fighter pilot, sonar officer or ship captain as any man.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

OK, my veiled comment seems to require some explanation.

Comfort women.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

OK, my veiled comment seems to require some explanation.

Comfort women.

Why?

That would be government sanctioned rape

edit on 2-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

You must understand that I do not trust government so, I do not put anything past it.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

You must understand that I do not trust government so, I do not put anything past it.

Still tgats not a excuse tgat if mean are drafted, women shouldn't be.

Though I am against the idea of a draft full stop unless the countrys survival was at stake (ie UK in WW2).

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is just another way for the military to try and kill off selective service and any chance of draft for good. They do not want conscripts and would much prefer politicians keep the volunteer force well funded and not fall back on, well if things got bad we could always call a draft.

To the military large conscript forces are as archaic as militias. Small professional, well trained and motivated forces with best weapons money can but with top of the line Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence are what they see as the key to military superiority.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Can we put this one on the front line as cannon fodder please.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join