It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two dropouts after Iowa Caucus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Martin O'Malley Suspends His Presidential Campaign

O'Malley officially announced the suspension of his campaign during a speech following the Iowa caucuses on Monday night. O'Malley thanked the caucusgoers, sharing stories of tweets and calls he received throughout the evening from his supporters around the state.

Mike Huckabee Suspends 2016 Presidential Campaign

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) announced on Monday that he is suspending his presidential campaign, following a poor performance in the Iowa caucuses.

All I can say here is, FINALLY! It's about time the races started thinning out some of the dead weight. The Democratic race is right where it needs to be now, but there is quite a bit more dead weight that needs trimming in the Republican race...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
What bugs me is that this even exists. Soooooo much money is spent in Iowa and the first few primaries. The system as it exists now favors establishment candidates, wealthy candidates and corporate backed candidates.

Yes, the field needs thinning but there has got to be a way to give all candidates fair play before the cull.
By the time most of us cast a primary vote, some of candidates have thrown in the towel.

It's beyond obvious too that deals are cut where some candidates stay in just to keep the numbers down for other candidates.
edit on 2/2/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I agree that there is too much money in election campaigns but if you aren't pulling in the support to get elected then you need to go.

It's beyond obvious too that deals are cut where some candidates stay in just to keep the numbers down for other candidates.

See. Stuff like this needs to go. Dead weight needs to be jettisoned.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Maybe a rotating system where different states get the early primaries so it is not the same ones over and over.

The New Jersey primary is in June, why bother voting at the point? It is just perfunctory.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Maybe all the primaries should just be done on the same day.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That would be something that would have to be organized by the federal government and I'm sure that more than a few states would reject to the federal government overseeing its state primaries.

I think it is a good idea, but it's probably a violation of the Tenth Amendment. So no go.
edit on 2-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Cases like this completely screwed us in that respect

McCutcheon, et al v. FEC
www.fec.gov...
edit on 2-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They would simply all have to agree to do it. And the parties have some say in it as well.

There is no rule that says they can't have them on the same day after all. Look at Super Tuesday.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Exactly.

But so many bottom feeders rely on a protracted, heavily funded campaign season, it will never happen.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

You're right, but I see that as very unlikely. States like Colorado and Kansas can't stand each other. Iowa literally made it a law that they had to be the first caucus in the primaries.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I didn't even know that half of the Repubs at the "Kiddie table" were still running until I clicked on the Google results. That clown car needs thinned out and fast if any momentum is to be gained going into the general election. Sure Cruz, Rubio, Trump, and Carson are at the top, but who knows what the future holds?

new topics

top topics

join