It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Settlement for a Dog Killing in US History Paid After Cop Murders Restrained Dog on Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Besides the settlement the city also spent another $125,227.38 on legal fees. Justice always cost money if you are seeking it and Lawyers always get the slice..... however that is not an outrageous amount in cases like this IMO. We have had several threads that discuss dogs being shot for no apparent reason by Police. So depending on what side of this issue you find yourself here is the news.

The officer who shot the dog 5 times, according to internal affairs, was acting within department policy and procedures..

Commerce city taxpayers have just been hit with a $262,000 bill for a settlement in an incident where someone’s dog was needlessly shot and killed by police.

According to the report, On November 24, 2012, Commerce City police responded to reports of a “loose, vicious dog.” When officers arrived on scene, a small woman was able to get the catchpole around the dog’s neck. However, officer Robert Price felt it necessary to taser the dog, whose name was Chloe, and then shoot her five times.

The graphic incident was captured on a neighbor’s cellphone and was used as evidence in the case.

Visit the link for the long story.. The article said 2 cops have been killed by Yellow Jacket (wasp) stings.. one by a cow... and none by a dog. It also brought out just how many dogs certain departments shoot on a monthly/annual basis. Kinda surprising in some ways.
www.activistpost.com...

A terribly shaky cell phone video of what happened. The dog is tasered and shot in the video. Be forewarned...
youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

All these cop shootings of animals and unarmed suspects is really getting out of hand. So in the end, the city taxpayer has to pay for this unprofessional trigger happy police officer. Maybe if police officers were held personally responsible for their deadly actions, maybe we would see less police officers being so quick to take a life.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

So in the end, the city taxpayer has to pay for this unprofessional trigger happy police officer. Maybe if police officers were held personally responsible for their deadly actions, maybe we would see less police officers being so quick to take a life.

Agreed...

Here's an idea. When there is financial restitution awarded to a victim from the actions of a Police Officer, the first lump of change should come from the Officer's retirement/401k.

Betcha that would be a game changer...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The dogs been caught with that pole thing, of course it's going to start struggling, how does this officer think animal control normally handles these things.

Should have restrained and shot the cop in this case.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Very sad, they should stop hiring cowards as police officers. That may change things.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The action in this case was excessive let alone inhumane to the animal. I'm shocked that money was rewarded here, considering other dog death incidences that have yet to be resolved or are not resolved accordingly. Best hopes this can serve as an example to other PDs that these actions won't stand as the norm and there will be consequences if proper training to officers in dealing with animals, etc., etc., doesn't happen to help prevent these growing wrongful companion animal murders.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Elsewhere in that link there is bodycam footage of a 'policeman' calling a tiny dog to him...then he shoots it, the fecker.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

sickening...

I don't have much more to say
no amount of money can make that right

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
One article I read said that this was a therapy dog and the owner was disabled.

It also said that the Officer deliberately lied about the dogs breed (appears to be a lab-pit bull mix) and what she did as well...

The disabled owner of a dog shot to death by Colorado police officers is now suing law enforcement officials. Courthouse News Service reports that Gary Branson is suing the Commerce City police for tasering the therapy dog and then shooting it to death.

On November 24, 2012, a neighbor of Branson’s in Commerce City called the police about the dog Chloe, who was allegedly on the loose. While the police said it was a pitbull, the owner says the dog is not that breed. According to the ABC affiliate in Denver, the police said they spent 20 minutes trying to gain control of the dog. They claimed Chloe acted aggressively towards them when the cops approached the dog.

But the owner, Branson, disputes that story. His lawsuit claims that the four-year-old dog was “a captured, wounded, defenseless dog that had not ever attacked anyone, had not bitten anyone, and never moved aggressively toward the officer.”

The dog was hit by a taser, but then got back up. After that, the police tasered her again. But after an animal control officer named Arica Bores was capturing Chloe, Officer Robert Price shot the dog and killed Chloe. The whole incident was caught on tape by a 12-year-old neighbor. The video sparked outrage in the neighborhood. The lawsuit says that the police lied about the shooting. “Officer Price deliberately lied when reporting that Chloe 'charged towards me in an aggressive manner and stopped 15 feet away.' This did not happen,” said Branson in the lawsuit.

shore-215.blogspot.com...

The $262,500 settlement ends years of legal battles between Commerce City's police department and local man Gary Branson, owner of a mixed-bred therapy dog.

In November 2012, police responded to a 911 call about an "aggressive" dog roaming a neighborhood. "I called police because I saw a dog wandering loose out front," Kenny Collins later told NBC 9 News. "He never came at me in an aggressive manner." However, during his 911 call he actually stated, "We got a dog that's aggressive out here … It's like a big pit bull mix something. He's outside of our house, barking out our windows and stuff. [He's] barking at our neighbors. He's a big one. If I tap on the window he keeps barking at us [and] being confrontational - and we're in the house."

Collins' neighbor was dog-sitting the Branson's 3-year-old dog named Chloe and thought she had closed the garage upon leaving her home. With the garage open, Chloe left the home and wandered the neighborhood. "I am happy that we have been vindicated," Branson said. "She deserved justice for what happened to her. This has been a very difficult time for me and am glad that it is now settled."

edit on Feb000000Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:35:47 -06005pm29Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:35:47 -060020163502 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I once posted my thoughts on what would be my response to someone, even a police officer, killing my dog.

It was officially frowned upon.

Let my quote at the bottom stand in it's place.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That is truly a heart jerker! We hear about this sort of thing more and more lately, unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Those cops were cowards and none more so than jack boot 5 shot,it is becoming apparent some of these low life scumbags enjoy killing pets as well as civilians ..... these kinds of people are oxygen thieves

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
One article I read said that this was a therapy dog and the owner was disabled.

It also said that the Officer deliberately lied about the dogs breed (appears to be a lab-pit bull mix) and what she did as well...

The disabled owner of a dog shot to death by Colorado police officers is now suing law enforcement officials. Courthouse News Service reports that Gary Branson is suing the Commerce City police for tasering the therapy dog and then shooting it to death.

On November 24, 2012, a neighbor of Branson’s in Commerce City called the police about the dog Chloe, who was allegedly on the loose. While the police said it was a pitbull, the owner says the dog is not that breed. According to the ABC affiliate in Denver, the police said they spent 20 minutes trying to gain control of the dog. They claimed Chloe acted aggressively towards them when the cops approached the dog.

But the owner, Branson, disputes that story. His lawsuit claims that the four-year-old dog was “a captured, wounded, defenseless dog that had not ever attacked anyone, had not bitten anyone, and never moved aggressively toward the officer.”

The dog was hit by a taser, but then got back up. After that, the police tasered her again. But after an animal control officer named Arica Bores was capturing Chloe, Officer Robert Price shot the dog and killed Chloe. The whole incident was caught on tape by a 12-year-old neighbor. The video sparked outrage in the neighborhood. The lawsuit says that the police lied about the shooting. “Officer Price deliberately lied when reporting that Chloe 'charged towards me in an aggressive manner and stopped 15 feet away.' This did not happen,” said Branson in the lawsuit.

shore-215.blogspot.com...

The $262,500 settlement ends years of legal battles between Commerce City's police department and local man Gary Branson, owner of a mixed-bred therapy dog.

In November 2012, police responded to a 911 call about an "aggressive" dog roaming a neighborhood. "I called police because I saw a dog wandering loose out front," Kenny Collins later told NBC 9 News. "He never came at me in an aggressive manner." However, during his 911 call he actually stated, "We got a dog that's aggressive out here … It's like a big pit bull mix something. He's outside of our house, barking out our windows and stuff. [He's] barking at our neighbors. He's a big one. If I tap on the window he keeps barking at us [and] being confrontational - and we're in the house."

Collins' neighbor was dog-sitting the Branson's 3-year-old dog named Chloe and thought she had closed the garage upon leaving her home. With the garage open, Chloe left the home and wandered the neighborhood. "I am happy that we have been vindicated," Branson said. "She deserved justice for what happened to her. This has been a very difficult time for me and am glad that it is now settled."

Thank you for adding more content to this thread. It does take a special sort of person (almost said something else) that takes pleasure in killing an animal that is no threat to anyone because they are firmly affixed to the end of a long dog catcher pole. The other person who called the dog over and then shot it point blank... They walk among us is all I can say about such stupidity.

Notice how the officer lied to cover his butt... We read about that kind of goings on in way to many cases.. I always like how the police report says one thing until an unknown pesky video shows up on the evening news...... which shows a completely different story line.. The ones who lie and are entrusted to uphold the laws are the ones that should be publicly shamed, fired, fined (large amounts) and never be allowed to work in any public office again after serving jail time...IMO
edit on 727rdk16 by 727Sky because: ..

top topics

join