It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Police 1% responsible for 30 % of complaints....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

127 of 12000 policemen are responsible for 34,000,000 $ in settlements....since 2009.

from the article:

But the majority of the 1,100 lawsuits settled since 2009 deal with non-fatal incidents, and 85 percent were resolved for less than $100,000, which helped them stay out of the limelight, according to a new investigation from the Chicago Tribune. The lower amounts included complaints about officers unnecessarily injuring suspects and using racial slurs. The department does not need City Council approval for settlements less than $100,000.

Only 5 percent of settlements cost more than $1 million. But just one percent of officers, 124 "repeat offenders" named in three or four settlements each, cost the city $34 million.

I should think Chicago cant afford this kind of policing....Think of all the extra officers that could have been paid for with this money.....
It makes one wonder just how much of the policing costs turn into abuse of force settlements nationally....
The compiling of such numbers must tell its own story....
The very words REPEAT OFFENDERS seems out of place.....I would have thought there would be one chance only for this kind of performance.....Three strikes youre out is for criminals...cops should only get ONE....

edit on 1-2-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It would not surprise me to find that are some cases of collaboration.
You got a buddy that is a police officer.
"Hey, man...what do you think about beating the crap out of me for no good reason?"
Split the booty.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I wonder how hard it would be to get information about what each of those cases had for charges against the police. Be nice if that was in transparent to the country so it would deter this type of abuse.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
Oh if you've thought of it....id bet someone has done it.....
and more besides...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I read about the same thing happening in New York City:

5 percent of arresting NYPD officers make 40 percent of all resisting arrest charges

I think "resisting arrest" charges are probably the biggest enabler of police brutality and excessive use of force. Such a weasely charge to give cops carte blanche to beat anyone they so choose with impunity.

And there's this:
Seven Reasons Police Brutality Is Systemic, Not Anecdotal

1. Many departments don’t provide adequate training in nonviolent solutions.
2. Standards for what constitutes brutality vary widely.
3. Consequences for misconduct are minimal.
4. Settlements are shifted to taxpayers.
5. Minorities are unfairly targeted.
6. Police are increasingly militarized.
7. Police themselves say misconduct is remarkably widespread.

(Much more at the link. I just copied the bullet points)

The bottom line for me is that the rot starts at the top, and that's where we have to cut it out. The officers could not get away with this unless they're being protected by their supervisors. I want our cops to have the best defensive training and protective gear absolutely possible to protect themselves from real danger and threats to their life. But those officers who abuse their power and authority should be kicked off the force, lose their pensions and other bennies, and suffer criminal charges just like the rest of us. The same for their enablers at the top.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Truly Bo, I believe the systematic militarization (and brutalization of law enforcement)
Is all part of the plan.....

new topics

top topics

join